Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.9

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I wanted to like this pallete, i really did. It has my perfect selection of matte shades you could need for a variety of looks, but it just didnt work. The colours were hard to blend and got muddy really quickly on the lid; they were chalky and powdery and especially the darker shades had a TON of fallout. I wasnt expecting this kind of quality from tarte, and since it was my first time trying their palletes, tbh i was a little let down. I returned it after 5 days of trying to make it work, but nope- the lighter shades barely show up on my skin, and when i am able to blend the shadows, they end up losing alot of their pigment and i keep having to build up , build up , build up and blend and then they end up looking muddy. The only reason i gave this one lippie is because the packaging was my favourite out of most of the palletes i have-sleek, cute, has a good sized mirror inside and closes tightly so you dont have to worry about the shades getting everywhere. Overall, i wouldnt recommend this. I dont know if i got a bad onr since most people seem to like it so much, but this just didnt work for me.

on 5/11/2016 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I debated over this for a long time. I finally caved and returned it after one week. I tried for 7 solid days to make this work. I loved the colors of these matte shadows but they are shockingly hard and poorly pigmented. The darkest colors go on like medium shades - very little color pay off. My brushes barely made a dent in the shadows after one week. I was expecting the same quality as the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette and I was extremely disappointed. This seemed like a good value but it's worth nothing when the shadows are this difficult to work with. The shades are duped on a number of sites with MAC shadows so I will try to build parts of this palette that way......not to mention that I have many of the shades already. Very disappointing.

on 1/12/2016 11:59:00 PM

Not my favorite palette from Tarte, the all matte palette is just unbelievably chalky. It takes way too long and way too much work to blend these out. I'd say skip this palette.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

One of my most disappointing purchases, not worth the hype. Originally I wanted to buy the Too faced Natural Matte Palette as a matte eyeshadow palette, but it was sold out so I settled for the Tartelette palette, thinking it should be good due to the internet/youtube hype.

The browns are great for my eyebrows, wanderer is a good contour, and the white shade is a good matte highlight. The black shade I can use as an eyeliner.

But that's just it. I can't use it on my eyes because it fades. Its the only eyeshadow I've ever tried that fades on me. At the end of the day, the shadow is still there, but its faded to look not like eyeshadow on my eyes, but like I have terrible pigmented eyelids (considering I'm quite fair). The shades also look muddy to me, and that is arguably fixed with less blending. But that's not quite possible, as the eyeshadows are hard to blend and colour is not always even.

There are tons of other eyeshadows that look better on me (chocolate bar, UD palettes, stila palettes). If not for the money I saved up to pay for the palette, I would've already given it away.

Next time I'll be patient and wait for the Too Faced Natural Matte palette to be restocked.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

For reference, I am fair and cool toned. (NW10-15)

I was VERY disappointed with the Tartelette palette. After hitting pan on my Lorac pro and UD naked 2 palette, I was looking for something new. On a trip to Ulta, I spotted the tarte palette. It looked gorgeous in the store, and all neutral matte colors, exactly what I was looking for!

Until the first time I tried to use it. The lightest colors just don't show up very well. Force of nature and wanderer are borderline orange on my skin. Once I started playing around with the different shades, I realized there just wasn't very much variety in the palette. The looks all ended up looking the same. The variance in shades just isn't there, making the looks appear almost monochromatic and muddy on the eye.

The major issue here is blending. The colors are very difficult to blend. I tried with a few different brushes, and to achieve a proper blend is nearly impossible. A lot of people are comparing this to the Lorac pro palette - the quality or texture on the tartelette is nowhere near as good. The tartelette colors are borderline dusty.

The lasting power is very poor - 100% would need a primer with this palette.

For your money, look elsewhere. This was a return for me. I am going to get the Lorac pro matte palette, or the naked basics 2 instead. (much better quality matte eyeshadows)

There are quite a few glowing reviews, but I think this brand seems to have a bit of a cult following, and people who love the brand will overlook certain things, because they love the brand so much.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Hard, chalky, unpigmented, and difficult to blend. I have to dig and dig and dig with my brush to pick up any discernible shadow, and by "discernible" I mean detectable only because it's gotten cakey. There are far better options for matte neutral palettes available for around this price point - Too Faced Natural Matte, Kat Von D Shade and Light, and It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty all work infinitely better for me. Tartelette has been shoved resentfully in a drawer because I can't yet bring myself to get rid of something I dropped so much money on. Every time I take it out, I hope it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, and every time, I am disappointed.

on 2/24/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm glad that there are matte palettes out there for us who are tired of the shimmery, glittery shades. I bought this for less than it retailed at beauty.com. While I don't love it, I don't hate it either. They are not chalky, which is a plus. Nice, smooth, and buttery. No fallout. There is some dusting when I received it, but none of the shades are broken. Some of the shades in the second column don't show up on my lids. I have to pack on natural beauty, it is the same shade as my eyelids. The two browns in the same column is just too light. One pulls a bit orange. The darker colors are just fine and I use them more often. The first column of the light shades are o.k, they are soft and buttery, they show up on my lids. I don't use the ivory or the black shade.

Packaging is heavy and should I say gaudy? It is hard to open. The shade names are written in gold and hard to see if you are putting them on in a lighted area.

I hate palettes that have black and white shades. I don't use them. How about a dark green or a dark blue or teal shade for those of us who like to line their eyes with color? How about a light peachy shade instead of ivory?

I also mixed this with my Lorac Pro palette (the first one - I reached pan on 6 colors!) for more variety.

Update: I had set this aside during the summer. I pulled it out this fall and found that the top and bottom rows worked better for the fall and coming winter. The only other problem I have with this, is that some of the darker browns have alot of fallout and the lighter browns faded on my lids even with Fergie's primer.

Update 12/16/16. Threw this out. The shadows were getting hard and gritty. And I fell out of love with it. Tarte's matte shadows are just blah on me.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I bought this hoping that it would be as good as tarte' s limited edition "mattenificent"palette. Unfortunately I found the shadows to be alot less pigmented and alot of the lighter shades to be super similar. I prefer creamy, slightly more powdery shadows like the lorac pro palette or abh modern renaissance. The shadows in this palette are just kind of hard. I knocked off an extra star for the price (it just isn't 5x better than something 5x cheaper..)

This palette leans purpley, which is nice on brown eyes, but I wish there were some warm browns. If you're picking between this and the tartelette in bloom palette, I'd recommend the in bloom palette because it's way more pigmented and has a few shimmer shades too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

To begin, in an eyes shadow I look for buttery consistency with high pigmentation that lasts all day and blends easily. Now let's get into the product.

Pigmentation and Consistency -
These eye shadows are not very pigmented. Some of the shades can be built up fairly easily, but others will not build up at all. The lighter shades are fairly pigmented and have a good consistency, as well as the black and the midtone brown shades. My issue is mostly with the purple shades which make up about half of this palette. They are very chalky (as are most of the other shades), and end up looking very muddy. When you blend these shades together they all end up looking the same, a muddy grey brown shade. I'm able to create a nice look, but it's not easy.

Longevity & Blendability -
These shades last a decent amount of time, but eventually fade into nothingness within 8 hours of wear. Again, if you are able to build these shadows up to their true colors they all begin to fade into the same greyish brown shade. If you are looking for a grey/brown pallet this may be perfect for you. None of the shades blend particularly easily, and can look patchy and inconsistent depending on which color you are using. The transition shades do not blend well at all nor do the darker shades.

Price -
I got this palette as a gift so I can't comment too much about price. However after looking this up I found out this palette was $45. For the price I would not recommend this product at all. There are so many other brands out there that sell eye shadow palettes for similar prices that are much better quality. The Too Faced and Lorac palettes are similarly priced (if not cheaper) and will treat you much better. The naked palettes are $54 and give 10x the quality and pigmentation of this product. Invest your money elsewhere.

Final thoughts -
As I said previously, I have been able to create decent looks with this palette but it takes a lot of time and effort. I would not recommend this palette if you are looking to create a quick and easy look in the morning or on the go. The lighter shades are nice, they blend well and are fairly pigmented. The rest of the shades are chalky, patchy and muddy. The pigmentation is not there for the majority of these shades. If you are looking for a beautiful purple palette this is not it. If natural ingredients are important to you, I'm sure there are other brands who can provide that with a better result. Perhaps other Tarte shadows or palettes are better than this one. I love Tarte as a brand overall, but this was a miss for me.

on 12/14/2016 1:09:00 PM

This is the most complete review I've ever written because at this point I have already gotten rid of this. It says 12 months on the back of the package and I kept it 18 months, no smells, just that tarte doesn't use preservatives so I don't like to keep their products too long. I loved this when I got it; I was also still pretty new to makeup at the time.
The pros: Pretty packaging, one amazing shade in the purple row, easy to use, blend ok.
Cons:The pigmentation is not so great, which I feel is a good thing for a beginner. The purple row is the only one I ever use as the other two rows are so boring and basic and, there may be a place for them in your collection but not in mine.
Now that I've replaced my HG crease shade which I found in this palette (the second lightest purple-y one) with MUFE's artist shadow in M546, I'm finding a whole new dimension of blendability and pigmentation which is far above and beyond this. They are gorgeous. So I'm done with tarte eyeshadows. They are good for beginners who need soft pigmentation and pretty packaging and "value", and you do get a range of shades to try and find your HG from; but I want quality and I want that precise perfect shade now.
I know I mentioned it's good for a beginner but you can find that in a much cheaper offering at the drugstore. It's not worth going mid-range prices for drugstore quality, which is what this is to me.