Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.9

on 1/12/2015 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

(For reference, I'm an NC 35)

I was very excited when I first got this palette. I bought this because I just absolutely fell in love with the colors when I looked at them (such beautiful purples and browns), I'm a huge sucker for neutrals, plus they were all matte! And when I swatched them on my arm, I was really impressed with the pigmentation. BUT. After using this quite the number of times (I gave it many chances), I'm just very disappointed. To the point that I returned this palette.

The colors are absolutely beautiful when individually swatched, but for some reason aren't true to color once applied to my lid. For example, I just couldn't get the shade Best Friend (the color I was most excited about) to show on my skin, no matter how much product I picked up with my brush. I tried doing different looks per row, I really reallyyyy wanted to love this palette, but once I'd blend all the shades on my lid, all the looks just looked quite the same :( Creating a look that I liked took too much work for me (for the price I paid to get this, I hated that). And the HUGEST disappointment, was that even with primer, they faded on my lids really quickly. :(

Sadly, I cannot really recommend buying this palette.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wasn't sure why I bought this at first, until I got it home and found it had an uncanny resemblance to my own custom 12-pan M.A.C. palette (photos above). Even more remarkable is that other than a small travel palette (Naked2 Basics), it's the only palette I own. I don't have anything like the warmer brown shades in the Tarte palette, but have many other near-dupes that I thought would be helpful to show here (see the "Tarte/MAC" swatches above). For example: Super Mom / Blanc Type; Caregiver / Yogurt (Caregiver is a tad more pink); Force of Nature / Malt (FON is more orange-y); Natural Beauty / Haux (also surprisingly similar to "Quarry" when swatched); Best Friend / Blackberry; Power Player / Copperplate (Power Player is more of a taupe; Copperplate more of a slate); Multi-Tasker / Mystery (Mystery is cooler); Fashionista / Typographic (Fashionista is much darker, more like MAC "Carbon"). I don't have a dupe for "Bombshell," but it is a beautiful dark plum.

For those of you who already own some of these M.A.C. colors, or are wanting some of these colors, this might help you decide if you are on the fence. Although the Tarte palette looks cool at first glance, it has several warm colors and some warmer undertones, suitable for many skin colors.

PROS: Beautiful matte color selection; highly pigmented; smooth application; nice large mirror; adjustable mirror angle; compact size; reasonable price (considering my M.A.C. palette cost close to $150 to put together, the $44 Tarte price looks like a bargain).
CONS: Plastic case (I marked it down one lip because the tiny bits that hold the mirror upright broke off while gently adjusting the mirror to take the photo)
FAVORITE COLOR: "Power Player" - A gorgeous taupe
BOTTOM LINE: I still prefer the quality and colors of my cooler M.A.C. shades for everyday use, but may reach for this occasionally for a more dramatic evening look. Didn't really "need" this with so many dupes, and would not likely repurchase, though would love to get "Power Player" if they ever offer it as a single.

on 2/4/2015 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have love for this palette. It may not be a head-over-heels OMG this is THE ONE holy grail type of love, but it's definitely a fond fave. Like a dude who's been crushing on you for years, this palette is just too easy to keep hitting for a sure thing. BTW I am a full-on palette hoarding makeup addict freakazoid, friends. So I know from a reasonable comparison. The best way I can describe Tartelette: a contour kit for eyes.

I agree with some commenters/bloggers/peanut gallerists that the texture in these seems to vary. Luckily my palette is smooth and buttery. It blends beautifully. I'm no spring chicken either, so I appreciate that it doesn't age my eyes like mattes sometimes do. I get solid color payoff with normal product application, I don't have to overload my brushes. However I am the color of a sheet of paper, so maybe that has something to do with it. I find this really enhances my eyes without looking like obvious makeup. Also punching it up with a colorful eyeliner (navy, plum, gold) up top looks really sharp. I have been complimented repeatedly about my LOTD when using this.

My only gripes are:

1. Some of the shades I'd been most interested in (neutral light browns) read really rosy on me, almost too warm. (orangey) It doesn't diminish the looks I create, it's just not my preference lately.

2. The price. Because damn! That's a healthy chunk of change for a small one-note palette. But of course I am an eyeshadow junkie and will continue to buy all the HE palettes because I am hopeless.

Do I regret my purchase? Nah. If I dropped this tomorrow and broke it in a thousand pieces would I replace it? Yeah - because this is exactly what it appears to be: a solid, easy, sure thing. Tidy effortless makeup. Definitely my go-to when I hit the snooze too many times. For this reason I give it 5 lippies overall.

on 12/20/2014 3:15:00 AM

I recently purchased this as a VIB Rouge Exclusive from Sephora, I was so excited to see it offered and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. The colors are beautiful and range from nudes to light pinks and very workable purples and browns, nothing too daring in the palette. All the colors have super cute names like "Supermom", which really made me smile when I opened the palette. The palette itself is a nice 4" x 4" metal and plastic palette with a nice sized mirror. The pans are generously sized so you get a good amount of shadow in each pan.

My only complaint is the texture. I was really hoping for shadows as soft and buttery as the Mattificient palette that Tarte put out Spring/Summer 2014, these were wonderfully textured but not very pigmented. The Tarlette palette is the opposite, the shadows have good pigment but I found the texture chalky and difficult to blend. So far I have used with two different shadow primers (UDPP and Smashbox 24 hr) and both times the shadows applied chalky and weird and were difficult to blend out. I am still giving the palette 4 Lippies because the colors are great and the construction of the palette is well made, this one just isn't a game changer for me so I answered "no" as to whether or not I would replace it if I ran out or lost my palette. Price wise I think this was about $44, or in that range.

on 12/22/2014 3:30:00 PM

I pretty much buy all of the palettes that come out from all the high end companies. I enjoy getting them and while I am not that adventurous with my makeup I like having options of colors, finishes, and textures. I simply LOVE this palette. I have worn it every day since I have gotten it and I'm not kidding when I say that three times I have had someone say that I looked great. I tend to be subtle with my looks and aim for pulled together and well groomed. But my hair stylist, my DH, and a good friend all commented about my eyes when I wore shades from this palette in the past week. There is something about the middle row of colors that makes my eyes look really blue. All I did was follow the instruction card that came with it for the daytime look and that's it. Perfect.

This holiday season I purchased a few palettes and returned both the Kevyn Aucoin and Dior ones. They just weren't that special for the cost. I don't think this one was for the holidays but it was money well spent. I wouldn't buy another one right now because that seems excessive but it is a purchase I am glad I made and so therefore give it 5 lippies. Tarte should make this a permanent offering. It is my favorite.

on 3/20/2015 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not a fan. The colors are hard, not easy to pick up and not pigmented on the eye. For the price, there is better. I just picked up the Too Faced Natural Matte Eye and it is by far better in all the ways I listed above.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a solid matte palette. I think the question people should ask when thinking about buying this is - do I WANT a palette that's entirely mattes? If you enjoy any of the UD Nakeds, this may be a little different for you just because it lacks the shimmer shades that the UD ones have. Personally, I love using this palette while traveling. It's small and compact, plus it is built solidly and has a large, beautiful mirror. I can fit this into a small makeup bag, and I usually throw in one shimmery single with it (ex. Mac Jest, L'Oreal Amber Rush, or CoverGirl's Mink). I can get a variety of looks with those two items so I'm set for a week+ long trip. As far as the shades themselves, I love the variety of mattes you get here, whether used with a neutral shimmer shade or if I use them on their own. I find that using them on their own gives a very eye enlarging look for me because I can blend them up into the brow bone, very easily getting them to blend into nothing. The shades are well organized - the first is a warm brown-based row, the second a cool purples row, and then a more neutral row which includes taupey shades and a great matte black which, bonus, you could use as eyeliner while traveling. Overall I would purchase this again, the shadows are soft and buttery, and again, if I want my eyes to look huge, I grab this palette. I think it's a great value as well, and if you're someone that would miss shimmer, maybe check out the sequel to this palette, Tartelette In Bloom. That one includes shimmer and the mattes probably follow the (amazing) formula in this. I recommend this highly for matte lovers and even for people who want to branch out. All 12 shades in this palette are beautiful and there are no duds. Would buy again.

on 1/9/2016 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I kept putting off buying this palette because after switching it on my arm, I was convinced the colors were too cool toned. I ordered some warm Mac and MUG singles in some of the basic matte transition shades but felt like they pulled more orange on me than I wanted for every single look.

Enter this palette: I ordered this in November during the VIB sale and have not put it down since. This is a palette full of perfect neutral shades. It's what I wanted both Naked Basics palettes to be but i found them to be too ashy and cool toned for my tastes. They sort of blended into one muddy color no matter how I used them. I have all three Naked palettes as well and Tartelette works with them in perfect harmony. I think I'll get more use of my Naked palettes now that I have transition colors that work with all three. The shadows are pigmented and blend out smoothly. I wear this palette alone during the work week with winged liner most of the time.

This would be an ideal beginner palette for someone who didn't have any transition shades and wasn't sure where to start as well as an accompaniment for any palette with too much glitter and not enough mattes.

on 6/25/2015 6:23:00 AM

Let's talk packaging to get it out of the way. I had to exchange my palette twice to get a one that wasn't faulty. I'm not sure if Tarte is mass producing and as a result lacking in quality or whatevs (it was sold out everywhere and coveted by many, I geddit) but a palette wouldn't shut properly and then another palette showed signs of rough plastic from manufacturing fault - you made me slice a finger, Tarte! I love makeup but I'm not sure it's worth losing blood. Final palette is fine. Gold plastic which sadly attracts fingerprint smudges. The lid is hard to open - must dig nails underneath to pry open.

But pry it open I will because the shadows inside are great! I like that they're all matte and appreciate the idea of warm (1st row), neutral (2nd row) and cool (3rd row) shades. I wanted this palette solely because I wanted more transition shades. This palette at $64AUD made more sense than buying a MAC eyeshadow at $33AUD each.

🔹 Pigmentation is dense and smooth. On par with Lorac in terms of pigmentation except Lorac is easier to blend.
🔹 Blending will require slightly more effort in comparison to glittery eyeshadows as matte shadows tend to be more tightly packed
🔹 Don't have any issue with patchy eyeshadow (use a clean brush to blend!)

🔸 The first column of shades are very similar once on the eyelid. Similar issue with Force of Nature and Wanderer.

I swatched all my matte eyeshadows to find dupes and found similarities or if not dupes across a bunch of palettes. (Wet N Wild palettes in Lust, Greed and Vanity - all the matte shades on the left hand side are comparable to MAC/Tartelette/Makeupgeek)
Tartelette VS Lorac Pro
Free Spirit/Supermom > Cream
Caregiver > Lt. Pink
Force of Nature > Taupe + touch of Cream
Natural Beauty > Mauve
Wanderer > Taupe + Cream
Dreamer > Sable + Taupe
Bestfriend > Mauve + touch of Espresso
Power Player > NO LORAC DUPE (Espresso + touch of Black is close though)
Multitasker > Sable + Espresso
Bombshell > NO LORAC DUPE
Fashionista > Black

I didn't really need the Tartelette after all. Still a very gorgeous palette.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Hard, chalky, unpigmented, and difficult to blend. I have to dig and dig and dig with my brush to pick up any discernible shadow, and by "discernible" I mean detectable only because it's gotten cakey. There are far better options for matte neutral palettes available for around this price point - Too Faced Natural Matte, Kat Von D Shade and Light, and It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty all work infinitely better for me. Tartelette has been shoved resentfully in a drawer because I can't yet bring myself to get rid of something I dropped so much money on. Every time I take it out, I hope it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, and every time, I am disappointed.