Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.9

on 12/20/2014 3:15:00 AM

I recently purchased this as a VIB Rouge Exclusive from Sephora, I was so excited to see it offered and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. The colors are beautiful and range from nudes to light pinks and very workable purples and browns, nothing too daring in the palette. All the colors have super cute names like "Supermom", which really made me smile when I opened the palette. The palette itself is a nice 4" x 4" metal and plastic palette with a nice sized mirror. The pans are generously sized so you get a good amount of shadow in each pan.

My only complaint is the texture. I was really hoping for shadows as soft and buttery as the Mattificient palette that Tarte put out Spring/Summer 2014, these were wonderfully textured but not very pigmented. The Tarlette palette is the opposite, the shadows have good pigment but I found the texture chalky and difficult to blend. So far I have used with two different shadow primers (UDPP and Smashbox 24 hr) and both times the shadows applied chalky and weird and were difficult to blend out. I am still giving the palette 4 Lippies because the colors are great and the construction of the palette is well made, this one just isn't a game changer for me so I answered "no" as to whether or not I would replace it if I ran out or lost my palette. Price wise I think this was about $44, or in that range.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really like the palette!! Have been looking for good matte shadows... I like this one because it blends easily and the colors are great in this one!!! So far I'm enjoying this one. I'm older and wear contacts. All the glitters I just can't wear anymore!!! These are soft and go on smoothly!!!

on 12/22/2014 3:30:00 PM

I pretty much buy all of the palettes that come out from all the high end companies. I enjoy getting them and while I am not that adventurous with my makeup I like having options of colors, finishes, and textures. I simply LOVE this palette. I have worn it every day since I have gotten it and I'm not kidding when I say that three times I have had someone say that I looked great. I tend to be subtle with my looks and aim for pulled together and well groomed. But my hair stylist, my DH, and a good friend all commented about my eyes when I wore shades from this palette in the past week. There is something about the middle row of colors that makes my eyes look really blue. All I did was follow the instruction card that came with it for the daytime look and that's it. Perfect.

This holiday season I purchased a few palettes and returned both the Kevyn Aucoin and Dior ones. They just weren't that special for the cost. I don't think this one was for the holidays but it was money well spent. I wouldn't buy another one right now because that seems excessive but it is a purchase I am glad I made and so therefore give it 5 lippies. Tarte should make this a permanent offering. It is my favorite.

on 1/10/2015 11:20:00 PM

Very excited to have my hands on this palette! Quite swatches of the eyeshadows do not do this palette any justice because I have noticed using these colours (especially the middle - dark ones) my green eyes pop with colour! Also very happy with how smooth and pigmented they are. This is an essential everyday palette.

on 1/12/2015 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

(For reference, I'm an NC 35)

I was very excited when I first got this palette. I bought this because I just absolutely fell in love with the colors when I looked at them (such beautiful purples and browns), I'm a huge sucker for neutrals, plus they were all matte! And when I swatched them on my arm, I was really impressed with the pigmentation. BUT. After using this quite the number of times (I gave it many chances), I'm just very disappointed. To the point that I returned this palette.

The colors are absolutely beautiful when individually swatched, but for some reason aren't true to color once applied to my lid. For example, I just couldn't get the shade Best Friend (the color I was most excited about) to show on my skin, no matter how much product I picked up with my brush. I tried doing different looks per row, I really reallyyyy wanted to love this palette, but once I'd blend all the shades on my lid, all the looks just looked quite the same :( Creating a look that I liked took too much work for me (for the price I paid to get this, I hated that). And the HUGEST disappointment, was that even with primer, they faded on my lids really quickly. :(

Sadly, I cannot really recommend buying this palette.

on 1/18/2015 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I'm re-writing my prior review for this product because I've been using it for a long time now and I have more thorough opinions than I did when I wrote my original review. I originally gave this 5 stars but I've bumped it down to 4. I still love it, but I have a couple complaints.

First, the things I love about it though: The packaging is GREAT. Convenient mirror, very slim, cute gold overlay, awesome layout (I prefer the more square shape to the long skinny palettes for mirror usage purposes). The organization of the shadows in this palette is really nice too. I like that it's set up essentially in 3 different quads with different tones. I also really like that this palette is more cool-toned. I know thats something that a lot of people DON'T like about it, but with sooooo many warm palettes on the market right now, I really enjoy the coolness of this one (esp since I happen to be a taupey shadow kinda gal).

Now, the things I DON'T love about it: it's not super pigmented, not that it's bad, it's just not as pigmented as say, the kat von d shadows. also, a lot of the shadows in this palette seem a little too similar. For example, dreamer and multi-tasker look almost the same (multi-tasker is a LITTLE darker), free spirit and super mom look almost the same (free spirit is a little more yellow toned), and force of nature and wanderer are fairly similar too.

Overall, a good palette: great packaging and layout, decent pigmentation, but could use some greater diversity in the shade-selection

I cashed in my Ulta points to get my hands on this girl. She is lovely and just what I have been looking for. Pros: all matte palette, different shade ranges of neutrals (warm, purpley/mauve, cool) organized from light to dark, all shades blend great, color payoff is wonderful, stays all day, not irritating, large mirror, very pigmented, pretty packaging Cons: I have a difficult time opening the palette, I wish it had an easy release button or something, the shadow names can be difficult to read due to being printed on the shiny gold packaging, packaging easily fingerprinted if that bothers you (it does me so I am constantly wiping it down after use) the price is a bit high, but less than an Urban Decay palette. Bottom Line: this is the second palette I've gotten from Tarte and I love them both. I wouldn't mind paying $44 for it had I not cashed in my points and I will repurchase again, but I can see how some would balk at the price. Love this palette!!

on 2/4/2015 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have love for this palette. It may not be a head-over-heels OMG this is THE ONE holy grail type of love, but it's definitely a fond fave. Like a dude who's been crushing on you for years, this palette is just too easy to keep hitting for a sure thing. BTW I am a full-on palette hoarding makeup addict freakazoid, friends. So I know from a reasonable comparison. The best way I can describe Tartelette: a contour kit for eyes.

I agree with some commenters/bloggers/peanut gallerists that the texture in these seems to vary. Luckily my palette is smooth and buttery. It blends beautifully. I'm no spring chicken either, so I appreciate that it doesn't age my eyes like mattes sometimes do. I get solid color payoff with normal product application, I don't have to overload my brushes. However I am the color of a sheet of paper, so maybe that has something to do with it. I find this really enhances my eyes without looking like obvious makeup. Also punching it up with a colorful eyeliner (navy, plum, gold) up top looks really sharp. I have been complimented repeatedly about my LOTD when using this.

My only gripes are:

1. Some of the shades I'd been most interested in (neutral light browns) read really rosy on me, almost too warm. (orangey) It doesn't diminish the looks I create, it's just not my preference lately.

2. The price. Because damn! That's a healthy chunk of change for a small one-note palette. But of course I am an eyeshadow junkie and will continue to buy all the HE palettes because I am hopeless.

Do I regret my purchase? Nah. If I dropped this tomorrow and broke it in a thousand pieces would I replace it? Yeah - because this is exactly what it appears to be: a solid, easy, sure thing. Tidy effortless makeup. Definitely my go-to when I hit the snooze too many times. For this reason I give it 5 lippies overall.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this palette!! I was sad that I missed out on Tarte's Be Mattenificent palette, so I wanted to get this one.

I love it. Great pigmentation, applies like butter for me, and the colors stay true and lasts nicely and wear well througout the day. If you are not a 'pro' at blending eyeshadows, this palette is a great one to try out, especially if you like more nuetral/natural/obviously matte shades.

You could, if you want some sparkle, add a touch of Mac pigment in one of their sparkly shades or one of those Nyx glitter liners, if you want to add some 'sparkle'.

The packaging on this......to me I wish they made a nicer package. While I do appreciate the nice big mirror, the packaging just feels 'cheap' to me for a higher-end product. I know some love this packaging, but to me it just feels "awkward" and kind of "bulky". So there is that. I wish Tarte followed in the line of It Cosmetics and UD and made this a rectangle-shaped palette, like the Naked palettes. Those rectangle-shaped palettes imo are much easier to handle and easier to travel with. I would obviously love to travel with this, but the packaging to me, I just do not trust...But that is the only drawback for me with this. Again, some love this packaging, so that is just a personal preference.

These feel great on the eyelids and no fallout at all...Absolutely no irritation, in fact, I do not even know I have anything on my eyes. Almost every other brand, I can 'feel' the product on my eyes, and some do irritate me after a while. These just have a completely pleasant, comfortable, non-irritating feel. And the colors themselves are just great....perfect, in fact! If you like bright or bold colors, this palette obviously is not for you. But for someone like me, who likes matte, natural-looking, pleasant-feeling eyeshadows, long-lasting, wear great throughout the day, great-quality eyeshadows, this is a fabulous find. Would definitely re-purchase and would definitely recommend!!

on 2/24/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm glad that there are matte palettes out there for us who are tired of the shimmery, glittery shades. I bought this for less than it retailed at beauty.com. While I don't love it, I don't hate it either. They are not chalky, which is a plus. Nice, smooth, and buttery. No fallout. There is some dusting when I received it, but none of the shades are broken. Some of the shades in the second column don't show up on my lids. I have to pack on natural beauty, it is the same shade as my eyelids. The two browns in the same column is just too light. One pulls a bit orange. The darker colors are just fine and I use them more often. The first column of the light shades are o.k, they are soft and buttery, they show up on my lids. I don't use the ivory or the black shade.

Packaging is heavy and should I say gaudy? It is hard to open. The shade names are written in gold and hard to see if you are putting them on in a lighted area.

I hate palettes that have black and white shades. I don't use them. How about a dark green or a dark blue or teal shade for those of us who like to line their eyes with color? How about a light peachy shade instead of ivory?

I also mixed this with my Lorac Pro palette (the first one - I reached pan on 6 colors!) for more variety.

Update: I had set this aside during the summer. I pulled it out this fall and found that the top and bottom rows worked better for the fall and coming winter. The only other problem I have with this, is that some of the darker browns have alot of fallout and the lighter browns faded on my lids even with Fergie's primer.

Update 12/16/16. Threw this out. The shadows were getting hard and gritty. And I fell out of love with it. Tarte's matte shadows are just blah on me.