Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.4

on 9/9/2017 12:36:00 PM

I have used this palette in the past but not recently since I have acquired other ones I much prefer. Although the shadows are high quality and there is a good variety of looks (I particularly like how they are grouped in 3 rows by color family) I find on me they are not that flattering (I'm NW 20 with blue eyes for reference). The colors end up looking rather muddy and flat, especially by the end of the day. I find I much prefer the Too Faced Natural Matte palette for a variety of warm and cool neutral shades or the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette for warmer looks with the option of some shimmer.

on 9/18/2016 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I do like this palette, though I agree that I can't do an eye look using it alone, given it has only mattes and I don't like matte-only looks. However, given my age, I have been collecting more mattes than before--especially darker/crease shades; mattes work better for that now that my eyes are beginning to "droop" a little :-( These are good quality workhorse mattes, and the shades are well-coordinated. I also like that they are more neutral/cool, as it seems many such matte/everyday palettes are warmer and don't work as well for me.

While they might not be as blendable as some, I've found them reasonably easy to work with and to create a flattering look--everything but a pop of shimmer or bright color, but I've got BUTTLOADS of that--good coordinating crease and transition shades, plus the lighter base shades. I also have sensitive eyes and these don't bother them.

I always use some sort of eye primer. The primer I use seems to have more to do with how long they last. (I have different primers; if I want shadows to last 12+ hours, I use Wnw; but it's drying and I can't use it all the time. So some of the other primers I have don't last as long, but don't dry out my eye area.)

on 9/1/2016 8:08:00 PM

I just got this palette and started to use it and found every color is perfect for my skin tone, eye color to give me a better than natural look.

The colors are highly pigmented and go on & blend like a dream. I put the colors on this morning and 6 hrs later still look great. I've got blue eyes, olive skin & brunette hair. (mac nc35) I like this better than most of my mac eye shadows.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wasn't sure why I bought this at first, until I got it home and found it had an uncanny resemblance to my own custom 12-pan M.A.C. palette (photos above). Even more remarkable is that other than a small travel palette (Naked2 Basics), it's the only palette I own. I don't have anything like the warmer brown shades in the Tarte palette, but have many other near-dupes that I thought would be helpful to show here (see the "Tarte/MAC" swatches above). For example: Super Mom / Blanc Type; Caregiver / Yogurt (Caregiver is a tad more pink); Force of Nature / Malt (FON is more orange-y); Natural Beauty / Haux (also surprisingly similar to "Quarry" when swatched); Best Friend / Blackberry; Power Player / Copperplate (Power Player is more of a taupe; Copperplate more of a slate); Multi-Tasker / Mystery (Mystery is cooler); Fashionista / Typographic (Fashionista is much darker, more like MAC "Carbon"). I don't have a dupe for "Bombshell," but it is a beautiful dark plum.

For those of you who already own some of these M.A.C. colors, or are wanting some of these colors, this might help you decide if you are on the fence. Although the Tarte palette looks cool at first glance, it has several warm colors and some warmer undertones, suitable for many skin colors.

PROS: Beautiful matte color selection; highly pigmented; smooth application; nice large mirror; adjustable mirror angle; compact size; reasonable price (considering my M.A.C. palette cost close to $150 to put together, the $44 Tarte price looks like a bargain).
CONS: Plastic case (I marked it down one lip because the tiny bits that hold the mirror upright broke off while gently adjusting the mirror to take the photo)
FAVORITE COLOR: "Power Player" - A gorgeous taupe
BOTTOM LINE: I still prefer the quality and colors of my cooler M.A.C. shades for everyday use, but may reach for this occasionally for a more dramatic evening look. Didn't really "need" this with so many dupes, and would not likely repurchase, though would love to get "Power Player" if they ever offer it as a single.

on 2/24/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm glad that there are matte palettes out there for us who are tired of the shimmery, glittery shades. I bought this for less than it retailed at beauty.com. While I don't love it, I don't hate it either. They are not chalky, which is a plus. Nice, smooth, and buttery. No fallout. There is some dusting when I received it, but none of the shades are broken. Some of the shades in the second column don't show up on my lids. I have to pack on natural beauty, it is the same shade as my eyelids. The two browns in the same column is just too light. One pulls a bit orange. The darker colors are just fine and I use them more often. The first column of the light shades are o.k, they are soft and buttery, they show up on my lids. I don't use the ivory or the black shade.

Packaging is heavy and should I say gaudy? It is hard to open. The shade names are written in gold and hard to see if you are putting them on in a lighted area.

I hate palettes that have black and white shades. I don't use them. How about a dark green or a dark blue or teal shade for those of us who like to line their eyes with color? How about a light peachy shade instead of ivory?

I also mixed this with my Lorac Pro palette (the first one - I reached pan on 6 colors!) for more variety.

Update: I had set this aside during the summer. I pulled it out this fall and found that the top and bottom rows worked better for the fall and coming winter. The only other problem I have with this, is that some of the darker browns have alot of fallout and the lighter browns faded on my lids even with Fergie's primer.

Update 12/16/16. Threw this out. The shadows were getting hard and gritty. And I fell out of love with it. Tarte's matte shadows are just blah on me.