Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Filtered by age: 44-55
Tarte TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

4.3

I was looking for a matte palette better suited for me than the Viseart palette, which proved to be overall too warm for me. I prefer a soft, natural look. The Naked Basics 2 is more suited for my complexion, but the palette is limited in looks and I've used much better formulas, so I no longer enjoy using the palette. I considered the Kat von eye contour palette, and while the eyeshadows are beautifully pigmented, I thought the options were a bit limited. Enter the Tarte Tartelette. All matte, super pigmented, and easily bendable. This product does have major kick back, and I mean MAJOR. I always tap my brush before applying because if you don't, you have fall out everywhere.

The looks I achieve are soft and very complimentary to my mature eyes. The "warm" selection isn't too warm for me, which has been an issue for most of the palettes that hit the market. I've seen some YouTube videos where, if you wanted, you could build these up for a very dramatic look. Since that look isn't my cup of tea, I appreciate the subtle and pretty look this palette gives me.

For reference, I have NW20 complexion with green eyes and dark hair. The lightest shades really do not show up, but as my base layer it evens the lid out nicely without dumping pigment. Again, I prefer subtle, soft and pretty eye looks, and this is what this palette offers. Along with versatility in looks, this palette is a winner for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I think this is a great palette, not a "omg you gotta go get this now" palette, but still worthy if you want to add something to your stash that you can rely on. All of the colors are workable, with a good range of neutral pink & brown based hues, and I have not skipped over any, something that is a rarity for me. I've used it quite a bit and feel at this point I can get a good eye look if I keep it simple and use eye primer, and have been getting 11+ hours of wear with no noticeable fading or creasing.
The palette is made of plastic and thin but generous in product quantity (.636 oz total, 1.5 g per pan). I wouldn't toss this loose into a bag as I fear it would easily crack - I have seen a few youtube reviews where the mirror is broken, so it's not going to withstand a lot of abuse. It smells strongly of vanilla, which I like. The shadows are firm but smooth, and go on with no patchiness and blend out with little effort. I'm not getting any fallout or excess mess in the palette with my brushes, even when digging in to pack some color.
I have the best luck and no muddiness if I work from a row from left to right, using the darkest as a liner. I've also tried to use this in combination with the tartelette in bloom palette, but the colors got muddy and I'm a one palette kind of gal anyways. I still need to give it more time to be 100% convinced I would buy this again, but with the color range I feel out of all of my matte palettes this gives the best selection of colors, and I'm happy I have it!

on 5/11/2016 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I debated over this for a long time. I finally caved and returned it after one week. I tried for 7 solid days to make this work. I loved the colors of these matte shadows but they are shockingly hard and poorly pigmented. The darkest colors go on like medium shades - very little color pay off. My brushes barely made a dent in the shadows after one week. I was expecting the same quality as the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette and I was extremely disappointed. This seemed like a good value but it's worth nothing when the shadows are this difficult to work with. The shades are duped on a number of sites with MAC shadows so I will try to build parts of this palette that way......not to mention that I have many of the shades already. Very disappointing.

on 1/15/2016 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This shadow applies smoothly, blends easily and stays where I put it all day. The colors are highly pigmented. My newest brilliant discovery. Will keep purchasing this product.

on 12/28/2015 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I truly love this palette. The shadows are creamy and well pigmented. I've had nothing but good experiences with Tarte Cosmetics & will carry on repurchasing. I dropped a lippy due to the price; Tarte is hard to get hold of in the UK & the p&p hikes the price up.

on 7/14/2015 10:41:00 AM

One if the best palettes I have ever used. Densely pigmented and easily blend able. As a 50+ woman, i find these matte shadows very flattering. Colors are very wearable and long lasting. Tarte is quickly becoming one of my favorite brands. .

on 4/9/2015 8:49:00 AM

Wow, such great reviews.....I was fine with the darker colors, but on me, the lighter colors came out chalky and dry looking....with that said, I returned it.

on 2/25/2015 10:10:00 AM

I really love Tarte's Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows palette! Beautiful, lovely matte colors that apply like a dream, with virtually no fall-out whatsoever. I can't hardly do shimmery shadows anymore, as they accentuate what little fine lines that I do have around my eye area, so I was absolutely giddy that Tarte came out with these matte shadows. The case is so darn neat too. I am glad that it was not a cardboard case. I'm not crazy about cardboard with cosmetics. It has a huge mirror, which I do use while I'm applying the shadows. Not so horribly long ago matte shadows could be very chalky. You're not going to find chalkiness with these shadows. And the colors are amazing! I love every single color in the palette, so I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this palette!! I was sad that I missed out on Tarte's Be Mattenificent palette, so I wanted to get this one.

I love it. Great pigmentation, applies like butter for me, and the colors stay true and lasts nicely and wear well througout the day. If you are not a 'pro' at blending eyeshadows, this palette is a great one to try out, especially if you like more nuetral/natural/obviously matte shades.

You could, if you want some sparkle, add a touch of Mac pigment in one of their sparkly shades or one of those Nyx glitter liners, if you want to add some 'sparkle'.

The packaging on this......to me I wish they made a nicer package. While I do appreciate the nice big mirror, the packaging just feels 'cheap' to me for a higher-end product. I know some love this packaging, but to me it just feels "awkward" and kind of "bulky". So there is that. I wish Tarte followed in the line of It Cosmetics and UD and made this a rectangle-shaped palette, like the Naked palettes. Those rectangle-shaped palettes imo are much easier to handle and easier to travel with. I would obviously love to travel with this, but the packaging to me, I just do not trust...But that is the only drawback for me with this. Again, some love this packaging, so that is just a personal preference.

These feel great on the eyelids and no fallout at all...Absolutely no irritation, in fact, I do not even know I have anything on my eyes. Almost every other brand, I can 'feel' the product on my eyes, and some do irritate me after a while. These just have a completely pleasant, comfortable, non-irritating feel. And the colors themselves are just great....perfect, in fact! If you like bright or bold colors, this palette obviously is not for you. But for someone like me, who likes matte, natural-looking, pleasant-feeling eyeshadows, long-lasting, wear great throughout the day, great-quality eyeshadows, this is a fabulous find. Would definitely re-purchase and would definitely recommend!!

on 2/4/2015 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have love for this palette. It may not be a head-over-heels OMG this is THE ONE holy grail type of love, but it's definitely a fond fave. Like a dude who's been crushing on you for years, this palette is just too easy to keep hitting for a sure thing. BTW I am a full-on palette hoarding makeup addict freakazoid, friends. So I know from a reasonable comparison. The best way I can describe Tartelette: a contour kit for eyes.

I agree with some commenters/bloggers/peanut gallerists that the texture in these seems to vary. Luckily my palette is smooth and buttery. It blends beautifully. I'm no spring chicken either, so I appreciate that it doesn't age my eyes like mattes sometimes do. I get solid color payoff with normal product application, I don't have to overload my brushes. However I am the color of a sheet of paper, so maybe that has something to do with it. I find this really enhances my eyes without looking like obvious makeup. Also punching it up with a colorful eyeliner (navy, plum, gold) up top looks really sharp. I have been complimented repeatedly about my LOTD when using this.

My only gripes are:

1. Some of the shades I'd been most interested in (neutral light browns) read really rosy on me, almost too warm. (orangey) It doesn't diminish the looks I create, it's just not my preference lately.

2. The price. Because damn! That's a healthy chunk of change for a small one-note palette. But of course I am an eyeshadow junkie and will continue to buy all the HE palettes because I am hopeless.

Do I regret my purchase? Nah. If I dropped this tomorrow and broke it in a thousand pieces would I replace it? Yeah - because this is exactly what it appears to be: a solid, easy, sure thing. Tidy effortless makeup. Definitely my go-to when I hit the snooze too many times. For this reason I give it 5 lippies overall.