Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

3.2

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had avoided this for years and never gave into the hype( also read dermatologist blogs and they did NOT recommend this).
So I finally figured what the heck might as well. I have extremely oily skin and chose option 4 for oily skin.
:0/ nothing really bad happened other than maybe just a couple extra breakouts but absolutely nothing good happened either. I did not notice it make any improvement to my skin at all nor did it help with the oil. If anything I think if anything I was a more oily.
I had been using neutrogena pore refining which seemed to clear up my skin better than any others I have tried and maybe had a lil improvement as to my oily skin, and marks started to fade.
For the price I would not buy this again, it did nothing. I might as well have just skipped toner all together.
Paulas Choice bha liquid is nice for breakouts and helping with marks. Not fond of her toners either.

on 10/2/2012 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

So, I've been on the hunt for the perfect facial care system. I'm 33 years old with oily prone Hispanic skin. I don't have any wrinkles (yet) but suffer from genetic undereye circles, large pores, and a never ending supply of blackheads on the chin and nose. What I need is a skin care line (and I'm willing to pay the price) that will minimize my pores for a more airbrushed look, get rid of the blackheads, and brighten my sometimes dull complexion. I went ahead and splurged on the 3-step system #4, Wash Away Gel Cleanser plus the Dark Spot Corrector and Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum (see my other reviews.) All in all, it set me back about $150.00. I decided to review each part of the system separately because some elements work better than others. The first step was to remove makeup with the Wash Away Gel Cleanser, then use the Liquid Facial Soap, then use this "Clarifying Lotion." I put that in quotes, because don't let anyone fool you, this is NOT a lotion, it is a toner. The rep at Clinique corrected me more than once when I called it that. They are pretty hell bent on advertising it as the exfoliating step. So does it exfoliate? Well, when you put it on a cotton round and rub it on your face, I suppose it should exfoliate. And it does. It doesn't smell like much, and doesn't sting too much, and it gets the residue left over from your face wash and removes any makeup clinging to your pores. I've never really realized the purpose of such toners until I put it with a total skincare system, but for my skin type, it most definitely has its place. My skin is much less greasy, my pores are smaller, and I attribute it to this Clarifying lotion. How do I know this, when I bought the whole giant system? I've moved on to Estee Lauder skincare and bought their Balancing lotion, and it does the same thing. This Clinique Clarifying lotion works as it says, but since I want a skin care system that works all together, and I didn't like certain parts of this one, I would only buy it again if I haven't found my dream system.

on 4/24/2012 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product. When I use it, my skin become a new vision. It cleans my pores well and make them a little bit smaller.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This toner is great. It contains salicylic acid in it which helps to heal my acne faster i guess. I don't feel tight or dry when I apply it on my face, probably because I have very oily t zone. However, I really hate the strong alcohol smell. It freaked me out the first time I used it. I also hate the package design. I wish there is a plastic cap with a small hole inside instead of the big hole. It would be easy to not waste the toner.
******UPDATE: So yesterday I went to Mecca Mexica (yay I'm in Australia) to find a new moisturizer (the Clinique DDMG didn't work for me) and had a talk with a staff there and she told me to stop using this Lotion because it's the reason why my skin produces oil so much and she gave me the Anti Blemish Lotion + Clinique Moisture Extended Thirst Relief and the AB Lotion works much better on my skin. So, bye bye Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4.

on 5/16/2011 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I absolutely LOVE this product! My skin is VERY oily and acne prone, and this is the only toner that works for me. It doesn't leave any residue behind, like most toners (ex: ProActiv ew). Leaves the skin feeling soft and refreshed. I usually use this in the morning with a cotton pad and use it all over my face and neck. When using this product I can usually skip washing my face in the morning and just use this toner to refresh my face. It has significantly kept my acne under control, and everyone in my family including my boyfriend notice a difference in my face....it makes your skin so radiant! I would deffinately reccomend it for anyone who has very oily acne prone skin, a must-have holy grail!!

on 4/11/2010 4:23:00 AM

I only use this once a week after I cleanse my face & before I steam it, ready for my DIY weekly facial routine. It has alcohol in it; it really does mildly exfoliate whilst stripping some of your natural oils which is kind of what Im going for during my facial in order to collect all the benefits from my tea tree oil steaming face mask. But you dont really want to use this everyday & strip your natural oils everyday as these oils helps provide your skin with a natural barrier from the external aggressor. i.e sun, wind, dust, aircon, pollution etc.

Similar to any other exfoliation, I would not go out in direct sunlight after use of this without sun protectant. Id wear my sunscreens, sunnies & hat & try to stay under shade wear possible.

I used this once when I had dry patch & it burned the area I was suppose to treat with gentle product - silly me =/

Nice product to have for oil/acne prone skin as all the moisture & natural oils build up the strength of the skin a little more; sometimes even making it tough. But has zero benefits for those with skin thats on the less oily side, only discomfort. May as well go for number 1 or 2 as these will provide you the same kinds of exfoliation & toning benefit without targeting the oils (which you wouldnt much of anyways). =)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love what it's done for my skin. It clear 95% of my acne, and temporarily gets rid of oily skin. The only problem is that my skin doesnt stay shine-free ALL day. Besides that, I love it, and have (and will continue to) purchase it again and again, because it's priced so youre able to! There's two sizes, one is $11 and the other is $20. I reccomend to anyone(:

on 3/11/2010 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I never really liked Clinique products as much in the past, but I decided to give this a try since I suffer from really oily skin. This is very strong, but it does an excellent job of cleaning my pores out and keeps me from breaking out. I only put it on my t-zone. Everywhere else would probably peel or get flakey.It also has a strong smell but I can tolerate it. This is perfect for me in the summer when my face gets greasy from the heat. A little goes a long way too. My face is sensitive also, so I use this sparingly. Overall, I do like this a lot and will reserve it for special occasions when I might need it.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have sensitive, acne prone skin. I also have seborrheic dermatitis, but where i live at times it can become super hot and humid, and my face will start to sweat alot during such times. This product works great for exfoliation and taking away shine, however, it is too strong for me to use on a daily basis, so i had to stop using it.

I would only recommend using it if your skin can handle alot, because unfortunately my skin can't.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

This stuff was WAY WAY harsh on my skin, and it isn't sensitive. It burned, it was sticky, smelled awful, and I'm pretty sure it contributed to what I now call the most hoRrific breakout I've ever had. DON'T BUY THIS STUFF! IT'S PURE CHEMICAL.