CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

2.8

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

on 7/22/2016 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Surprisingly, you would think that Clarifying Lotion 4 would be quite strong, but I find it isn't. That's a good thing! I do not use this twice a day as Clinique and their BA's suggest. Instead, I use it only 2-3 times a week at night. It feels nice and isn't irritating for my skin. I was worried about alcohol content, but I think if you use it sparingly like I do, you won't have a problem. I use it after cleansing only certain nights, and not every night. I follow with a serum and moisturizer.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had avoided this for years and never gave into the hype( also read dermatologist blogs and they did NOT recommend this).
So I finally figured what the heck might as well. I have extremely oily skin and chose option 4 for oily skin.
:0/ nothing really bad happened other than maybe just a couple extra breakouts but absolutely nothing good happened either. I did not notice it make any improvement to my skin at all nor did it help with the oil. If anything I think if anything I was a more oily.
I had been using neutrogena pore refining which seemed to clear up my skin better than any others I have tried and maybe had a lil improvement as to my oily skin, and marks started to fade.
For the price I would not buy this again, it did nothing. I might as well have just skipped toner all together.
Paulas Choice bha liquid is nice for breakouts and helping with marks. Not fond of her toners either.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I used this toner for years. I stopped using this product about six months ago as my dermatologist told me the alcohol in it can damage skin, which can inhibit collagen production as the skin then has to repair itself. I have not used this product since then and I will not be using this product again. I now use the Clinique Mild Clarifyng Lotion and Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment as a BHA exfoliant and my skin looks great without Clarifying Lotion #4. I wish I didn't spend money over the years on a product that damaged my skin. I'll give it a 1 for its salicylic acid content, which is good for skin, but you can get that through products that don't damage your skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

#3 didn't do much for me, and no drastic improvement with #4. I was expecting to have this be my *it* astringent, but I suppose this product at least meets my minimum requirements--cleanliness, doesn't make me break out.

I wonder if this stuff makes my skin dull. It's hard to tell with my other products. I think I will start using this more often and report back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I originally went in to try the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (which I am also pleased with) and ended up purchasing the whole 3-step system. I was actually in the market for a new skincare line and the price was much less than I expected, bonus points for that.

This toner is great stuff. I am extremely oily and I was given lotion #3 (oily skin) with my initial purchase, which I was also happy with. When I ran out I decided to try #4 and I definitely see a difference, however subtle. There is a somewhat strong "clean" scent to it, mostly alcohol smelling, but it is not unpleasant or overbearing. No matter how I exfoliate or cleanse beforehand, I always see a little extra debris on the cottonball after I apply this. It's great at getting rid of extra gunk and leaves your face smooth, soft, and shine free. I cleanse, tone, and moisturize with Clinique twice daily and it does not irritate my skin at all, though I have worked up to this over the last 6 months or so.

The price is, in my opinion, very reasonable. I buy the large (13.5 oz) size and it lasts me a good 8-10 months, even with being used twice daily. A small amount goes a long way. I usually tip the bottle twice onto a cotton ball and that's plenty for my whole face. I currently am very happy with this toner and plan to keep repurchasing indefinitely. No complaints here!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this works really well with the dramatically different moisturizing gel. i also tried using it with the liquid facial soap for oily skin, but found that all 3 made my skin way too dry and flakey. so i just use cetaphil's gentle skin cleanser with the toner and moisturizer. besides the fact that for some reason clinique skin care products BURN my face, this is fantastic. my oilyness has decreased significantly, even in 110 degree weather! it's really miraculous. i also like that by toning i can see everything that cleansing left behind.
the amount of product that's in the bottle is also ridiculous! SO much! i'll never finish it! and such a good price!
amazing product, and the burning only lasts a few minutes, but one lippie off.

on 6/29/2008 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This worked ok for my skin on helping it become smoother and clearing up dead skin cells, but the alcohol was so strong that it made my fingers dry up pretty bad. I would always wash my hands after applying this but that didn't help. Neither did leaving the DDMG on my hands after applying it on my face. So i had to stop using it mainly because it was so harsh on my fingers. I figured if it's so harsh on my fingers it was probably stripping most of my essential moisture from my face. After i'm done with my loads of cleansers and toners, I think i'll try the mild formula.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is terrible to be applying to skin; it has a very strong concentration of alcohol in it that just isn't good for facial skin. It really dried me out and made my face feel tight. This is not a good way to treat oily skin at all.