CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

Filtered by hair type : Other
CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

2.8

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I only use this at night for exfoliation. It really doesn't keep me matte in the day, I use Chanel's Lotion Purete for that. It really does exfoliate, fits well in my regime.

on 10/2/2012 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

So, I've been on the hunt for the perfect facial care system. I'm 33 years old with oily prone Hispanic skin. I don't have any wrinkles (yet) but suffer from genetic undereye circles, large pores, and a never ending supply of blackheads on the chin and nose. What I need is a skin care line (and I'm willing to pay the price) that will minimize my pores for a more airbrushed look, get rid of the blackheads, and brighten my sometimes dull complexion. I went ahead and splurged on the 3-step system #4, Wash Away Gel Cleanser plus the Dark Spot Corrector and Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum (see my other reviews.) All in all, it set me back about $150.00. I decided to review each part of the system separately because some elements work better than others. The first step was to remove makeup with the Wash Away Gel Cleanser, then use the Liquid Facial Soap, then use this "Clarifying Lotion." I put that in quotes, because don't let anyone fool you, this is NOT a lotion, it is a toner. The rep at Clinique corrected me more than once when I called it that. They are pretty hell bent on advertising it as the exfoliating step. So does it exfoliate? Well, when you put it on a cotton round and rub it on your face, I suppose it should exfoliate. And it does. It doesn't smell like much, and doesn't sting too much, and it gets the residue left over from your face wash and removes any makeup clinging to your pores. I've never really realized the purpose of such toners until I put it with a total skincare system, but for my skin type, it most definitely has its place. My skin is much less greasy, my pores are smaller, and I attribute it to this Clarifying lotion. How do I know this, when I bought the whole giant system? I've moved on to Estee Lauder skincare and bought their Balancing lotion, and it does the same thing. This Clinique Clarifying lotion works as it says, but since I want a skin care system that works all together, and I didn't like certain parts of this one, I would only buy it again if I haven't found my dream system.

Although my skin is oily (still! at 41!) I avoided the #4 clarifying lotion for years, choosing #3 instead because I feared irritating or burning my skin. Clinique has been running ads about their new, reformulated Clarifying Lotions, so I took the plunge and tried #4.

WOW! My skin is amazingly fresh, bright, and clear, even during PMS! The salicylic acid has exfoliating properties that are as good for aging skin as they are for acne-prone skin. The alcohol content does not irritate my skin in the least. I do use this in combination with the Oily Skin formula liquid soap and the DDMG. In winter, I may switch to the #3 or even #2 Clarifying Lotion and the Moisture Surge creme instead; that's what happened last winter. All I can say is, I kind of HATE Clinique for being so mainstream and so wasteful with their packaging, while still producing the best products I've ever used for my face. I'd love to throw my bucks at Dr. Hauschka or Boscia instead, but my skin loves it some Clinique and I can't complain when people are shocked that I'm over 40!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This toner is great. It contains salicylic acid in it which helps to heal my acne faster i guess. I don't feel tight or dry when I apply it on my face, probably because I have very oily t zone. However, I really hate the strong alcohol smell. It freaked me out the first time I used it. I also hate the package design. I wish there is a plastic cap with a small hole inside instead of the big hole. It would be easy to not waste the toner.
******UPDATE: So yesterday I went to Mecca Mexica (yay I'm in Australia) to find a new moisturizer (the Clinique DDMG didn't work for me) and had a talk with a staff there and she told me to stop using this Lotion because it's the reason why my skin produces oil so much and she gave me the Anti Blemish Lotion + Clinique Moisture Extended Thirst Relief and the AB Lotion works much better on my skin. So, bye bye Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4.

on 4/11/2010 4:23:00 AM

I only use this once a week after I cleanse my face & before I steam it, ready for my DIY weekly facial routine. It has alcohol in it; it really does mildly exfoliate whilst stripping some of your natural oils which is kind of what I’m going for during my facial in order to collect all the benefits from my tea tree oil steaming face mask. But you don’t really want to use this everyday & strip your natural oils everyday as these oils helps provide your skin with a natural barrier from the external aggressor. i.e sun, wind, dust, aircon, pollution … etc.

Similar to any other exfoliation, I would not go out in direct sunlight after use of this without sun protectant. I’d wear my sunscreens, sunnies & hat & try to stay under shade wear possible.

I used this once when I had dry patch & it burned the area I was suppose to treat with gentle product - silly me =/

Nice product to have for oil/acne prone skin as all the moisture & natural oils build up the strength of the skin a little more; sometimes even making it tough. But has zero benefits for those with skin that’s on the less oily side, only discomfort. May as well go for number 1 or 2 as these will provide you the same kinds of exfoliation & toning benefit without targeting the oils (which you wouldn’t much of anyways). =)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this product. I used to use #3, but it stopped working for me. I was breaking out like crazy - probably dreaded hormones. I almost have to laugh when I read the reviews. If you have dry skin, why would you even try the blue #4 bottle? It just doesn't make sense. Anyway, if you have oily skin - try it out - you might like it. Update: I stopped using this for a good long while. I couldn’t figure out what was making my skin break out- then it occurred to me to re buy this. I did- and dontchaknow problems put at bay. I do also use a Clarisonic- and my cotton ball still picks up yuck even after washing. Clinique, why did I ever leave you?

on 1/10/2009 8:06:00 AM

I have used it before I looked at ingredients list when shopping so I really haven't been aware that it doesn't use ANYTHING useful for skin health. It's only alcohol, some moisturizing ingredients and colorants.
This product is soooo agressive, I couldn't use it even few times in a row.
Sorry, Clinique, but with so many researches you still wanna harm people's skin?!?!??!

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

This is pretty good toner. I have pretty oily skin and this toner can be very drying. I only really use this about once a week. Works pretty well, but you really have to moisturize after using this! For reference I am skin type 4 under clinique's system :)

I've used number 3 for several years, but recently moved up to 4. Number 3 was no longer providing enough exfoliation. I use this toner once a day, and it really keeps my oily skin in check. I don't know how much more salicylic acid is in this product, but I can say for certain that it is quite a bit stronger than number 3.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

This stuff was WAY WAY harsh on my skin, and it isn't sensitive. It burned, it was sticky, smelled awful, and I'm pretty sure it contributed to what I now call the most hoRrific breakout I've ever had. DON'T BUY THIS STUFF! IT'S PURE CHEMICAL.