Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily
Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

3.6

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I only use this at night for exfoliation. It really doesn't keep me matte in the day, I use Chanel's Lotion Purete for that. It really does exfoliate, fits well in my regime.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had avoided this for years and never gave into the hype( also read dermatologist blogs and they did NOT recommend this).
So I finally figured what the heck might as well. I have extremely oily skin and chose option 4 for oily skin.
:0/ nothing really bad happened other than maybe just a couple extra breakouts but absolutely nothing good happened either. I did not notice it make any improvement to my skin at all nor did it help with the oil. If anything I think if anything I was a more oily.
I had been using neutrogena pore refining which seemed to clear up my skin better than any others I have tried and maybe had a lil improvement as to my oily skin, and marks started to fade.
For the price I would not buy this again, it did nothing. I might as well have just skipped toner all together.
Paulas Choice bha liquid is nice for breakouts and helping with marks. Not fond of her toners either.

on 3/11/2014 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

So far, so good. I've only been using this exfoliant for about a week, but can already tell it's a good product. I went so many years avoiding this particular product because of all the alcohol it contains. Supposedly, alcohol is terrible for the skin, but after using this I'll have to disagree. It doesn't irritate or dry my skin at all! I even had a laser procedure done on my face and was able to use this a few days later with no stinging/burning whatsoever.

The product has a water-like texture and absorbs into the skin quickly. I know others stated that it has a strong scent, but I didn't notice that. It smells like Witch Hazel; not strong or overpowering at all. To use, I invert the bottle once onto a cotton ball and apply in one, even layer across my face. I apply it like one would a chemical peel instead of a toner. I don't do any rubbing or circular motions because it's not really a toner. It's more like a gentle daily BHA chemical peel. I use it every morning and every other night. So far there has been absolutely no irritation or drying, only smoother skin.

It has only been a week and my skin is already much smoother. I use this in morning with my Vitamin C serum and there is no excessive drying. Before, my skin was EXTREMELY oily, but now it's soft and in balance. I no longer have to blot my face during the day and feel more confident when I wear makeup. In fact, I use the entire 3 step system and they work great together. I'm also using the Liquid Facial soap Mild and Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I'm so glad I finally tried these products because they truly are wonderful!

It's important to get the appropriate type for your skin. Before using this I tried the Mild Clarifying Lotion because I was afraid to try #4. The Mild Clarifying Lotion did absolutely nothing for my skin! My skin was still oily and it didn't exfoliate at all. I mention this because Clarifying Lotion #4 is ONLY for extremely oily skin. Don't try to use this product if your skin is dry or combination because you won't get the best results. But once you get the right combination, you'll see great results.

This product definitely gets 5 stars because it controls oil and isn't irritating. If you've been afraid to try this product because of a negative "expert" review, don't be. Just give it a shot and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

on 5/16/2011 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I absolutely LOVE this product! My skin is VERY oily and acne prone, and this is the only toner that works for me. It doesn't leave any residue behind, like most toners (ex: ProActiv ew). Leaves the skin feeling soft and refreshed. I usually use this in the morning with a cotton pad and use it all over my face and neck. When using this product I can usually skip washing my face in the morning and just use this toner to refresh my face. It has significantly kept my acne under control, and everyone in my family including my boyfriend notice a difference in my face....it makes your skin so radiant! I would deffinately reccomend it for anyone who has very oily acne prone skin, a must-have holy grail!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this works really well with the dramatically different moisturizing gel. i also tried using it with the liquid facial soap for oily skin, but found that all 3 made my skin way too dry and flakey. so i just use cetaphil's gentle skin cleanser with the toner and moisturizer. besides the fact that for some reason clinique skin care products BURN my face, this is fantastic. my oilyness has decreased significantly, even in 110 degree weather! it's really miraculous. i also like that by toning i can see everything that cleansing left behind.
the amount of product that's in the bottle is also ridiculous! SO much! i'll never finish it! and such a good price!
amazing product, and the burning only lasts a few minutes, but one lippie off.

on 4/18/2010 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very oily skin with blemishes, and this just gets rid of it all!
Agreed, it is a very harsh toner, but for my skin it works miracles. I use it twice a day and it doesn't dry my skin. I never get flaky or red skin when I use this so I would recommend this to people who have a VERY oily skin :)

since I have been using this (5months) I haven't broken out at all, this really did it for me.

EDIT.
I did the last few weeks, I just don't know what it could be from, I now bought the clinique scrub so hopefully that's going to help a bit :)

on 10/12/2009 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I was using La Roche Posay toner for over a year, and noticed no change whatsoever, I don't even know why I kept using it for so long; finally and even though my toner was half empty and thanks to great reviews, and since I was in Macy's, I went to the Clinique store and asked the lady for the product, she tried the #3, I felt a little tingling sensation, and then she tried the #4, I felt nothing at all, and bought it, I'm so impressed with this, I could actually feel my skin cleaner, I wish I had bought this earlier.
I just wish the top part of the container wasn't completely open, I'm scare to drop it (I'm clumsy)

on 12/13/2007 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Bought this with the Liquid soap and Dram Diff Gel, both of which I have been very happy with. But this I did not like. I am very oily in all facial areas, and this was super drying for me. I couldn't even use it once a day and had to use it every other! It also caused a minor breakout, maybe due to increased oil production to counteract the dryness? Not sure, but I switched to the #3 version with more success.

on 11/26/2007 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this about a month ago, with the 3-step skincare set. I have this #4 Lotion and the #4 Facial Soap, and the moisturizing gel. I am completely up in the air about this. While this does an AMAZING job controlling my oily skin, it also seems to give me a big zit here and there. I normally do not get those as regularly as I have since I started using this toner. Maybe it's the witch hazel I'm not responding well to. It is also pretty drying, so make sure you moisturize. I am going to go back to the counter and see if they recommend another number than this toner.

My stepsister has similar skin to me but much more acne prone and she used a Neutrogena cleanser and then the #2 Lotion and her skin looks so clear and bright now. I might try that!!

Okay: Edit....If you have found that you have problems with your skin after using Witch Hazel, BEWARE. Do not use this thing because that is pretty much the main ingredient. I have never reacted well to Witch Hazel but didn't really think about that too much going into this product. While I don't look like a pizza, this gave me huge, angry zits randomly, like 3 or 4 at a time. I am returning the whole 3 step in fact!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin not just in the t-zone, but also in my cheeks. My skin breaks out really bad and feels dirty even after I cleanse if I don't follow up with my clarifying lotion within an hour or so. This product is an exfoliator and .5% higher in salacylic acid than the #3 version. (2% total)

It takes a while to get used to, but if you have oily skin, this is one of the few things that I have found that actually clears out the oil. I am lazy and use it about once a day and I don't use any of the other 3 step products....however, this is my HG and I'm sure that it will always be....Exfoliators (which is what this is) also help skin reproduce faster (or stay at the faster pace of younger skin) and keep skin from aging so fast...I also have scarring from past acne and this stuff keeps the skin renewing to get rid of that crap....Very good product!