Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

3.7

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

on 10/2/2012 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

So, I've been on the hunt for the perfect facial care system. I'm 33 years old with oily prone Hispanic skin. I don't have any wrinkles (yet) but suffer from genetic undereye circles, large pores, and a never ending supply of blackheads on the chin and nose. What I need is a skin care line (and I'm willing to pay the price) that will minimize my pores for a more airbrushed look, get rid of the blackheads, and brighten my sometimes dull complexion. I went ahead and splurged on the 3-step system #4, Wash Away Gel Cleanser plus the Dark Spot Corrector and Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum (see my other reviews.) All in all, it set me back about $150.00. I decided to review each part of the system separately because some elements work better than others. The first step was to remove makeup with the Wash Away Gel Cleanser, then use the Liquid Facial Soap, then use this "Clarifying Lotion." I put that in quotes, because don't let anyone fool you, this is NOT a lotion, it is a toner. The rep at Clinique corrected me more than once when I called it that. They are pretty hell bent on advertising it as the exfoliating step. So does it exfoliate? Well, when you put it on a cotton round and rub it on your face, I suppose it should exfoliate. And it does. It doesn't smell like much, and doesn't sting too much, and it gets the residue left over from your face wash and removes any makeup clinging to your pores. I've never really realized the purpose of such toners until I put it with a total skincare system, but for my skin type, it most definitely has its place. My skin is much less greasy, my pores are smaller, and I attribute it to this Clarifying lotion. How do I know this, when I bought the whole giant system? I've moved on to Estee Lauder skincare and bought their Balancing lotion, and it does the same thing. This Clinique Clarifying lotion works as it says, but since I want a skin care system that works all together, and I didn't like certain parts of this one, I would only buy it again if I haven't found my dream system.

I give this product a 4 because it's pricey, but it's the best toner I have ever used. I have the most oily skin of anyone I know (I mean, within just a couple hours I'm already getting greasy and sticky). I plan to use this #4 toner year round, because my skin is oily even in winter. I would recommend that only people with VERY oily skin use this #4 product, because #3 would be less harsh and more suitable for people with combination or slightly oily skin. If you aren't truly very oily, this may burn and be irritating. This is the only product that actually does what it says, clearing out any leftovers from cleansers and makeup, and it sweeps away flakes and leaves my skin feeling soft. Using it before bed, I like to use the Dramatically Different moisturizer, otherwise I only put it the gel around my eyes and on my cheeks when I'm going to apply makeup. I love that this product also doesn't leave my skin looking shiny afterwards, as some toners/sstringents leave a sheen behind, or take so much out of your skin that it's shiny afterwards. My skin feels clean and refreshed. I still suffer breakouts, but I don't blame products on my acne in general, I blame my genes and skin condition. It's not completely foolproof, after several hours the shine and grease will eventually poke through, but it takes a lot longer than with other products. This is the only toner that actually keeps my oil under control for a decent amount of time.

I like this toner, but when I use it twice daily, my skin gets a little iritated...perhaps the alcohol in it does that. Overall, I would buy this again. I have used it during winter, maybe that's why i felt it a little harsh on my skin.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

I used this a few years ago and remember spills all the time(I don't like being careful right before bed), burning sensations, and a heavy perfume. Not exactly qualities I look for in a skincare product. I could have looked over it if it WORKED, but it didn't. It just left my skin dry and patchy and stinging. Waste of money.

on 4/11/2010 4:23:00 AM

I only use this once a week after I cleanse my face & before I steam it, ready for my DIY weekly facial routine. It has alcohol in it; it really does mildly exfoliate whilst stripping some of your natural oils which is kind of what Im going for during my facial in order to collect all the benefits from my tea tree oil steaming face mask. But you dont really want to use this everyday & strip your natural oils everyday as these oils helps provide your skin with a natural barrier from the external aggressor. i.e sun, wind, dust, aircon, pollution etc.

Similar to any other exfoliation, I would not go out in direct sunlight after use of this without sun protectant. Id wear my sunscreens, sunnies & hat & try to stay under shade wear possible.

I used this once when I had dry patch & it burned the area I was suppose to treat with gentle product - silly me =/

Nice product to have for oil/acne prone skin as all the moisture & natural oils build up the strength of the skin a little more; sometimes even making it tough. But has zero benefits for those with skin thats on the less oily side, only discomfort. May as well go for number 1 or 2 as these will provide you the same kinds of exfoliation & toning benefit without targeting the oils (which you wouldnt much of anyways). =)

on 3/15/2010 3:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

you start to deliver fresh dewy skin in just days,,ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

on 7/31/2009 12:36:00 PM

My first ever Clinique product and I just love it. This toner is fantastic. I have oily acne prone skin and I would never have believed a toner would be the answer to all my prayers. This really does controls my oily skin and my acne has magically improved almost from the first use. I had (Yes had - thanks to this miracle worker) bad breakouts along my jawline my problem area and this is the only thing that I have ever used that has cleared this up. My jawline for the first time in years looks clear and also feels clear, no lumpy spots lying under the skin. Yes this stuff is strong and stings a wee bit but I almost enjoy that now because I know its just working to exfoliate and cleanse my skin. I am hoping with continued use this will exfoliate and help with the scarring along my jawline also, fingers crossed. Honestly this product gets a rave review from me, I am so impressed, thank you Clinique !!!

on 7/13/2009 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I use this product for my skin that has a tendency to get incredibly oily. This keeps the oil at bay and balances the overall look & feeling of my face. This is their strongest clarifying lotion, so if you're not really oily, use this at your own risk. This may be too intense for you. My face feels refreshed after using this and the dead skin cells & oil that are left on the cotton ball, assure me that my face is indeed clean. This product also lasts a really long time. The large bottle lasted me 11 months!

ugh! its hilarious. i wanted to try all natural products and then i skipped toners, and then i just avoided all alcohol and SLS. but since ive been using this toner my pores have SHRUNK. my skin looks fantastic. no breakouts anymore. nada. and whats hilarious is, when the clinique face wash i use dries me out, the friggin ALCOHOL toner actually HELPS. i was in shock. its like the harshest toner clinique has to offer, and smells like pure alcohol, but its just so ... awesome. the only things that would make it better are a flip top or pump, and if it left my face looking matte and not shiny. but who cares about a shine anyway, its not an oil shine, just a ... clean skin shine? nothing a little spf face powder wont fix.

and this controls some OILIES!! might as well try it, but use a moisturizer afterwards! just in case.

on 1/10/2009 8:06:00 AM

I have used it before I looked at ingredients list when shopping so I really haven't been aware that it doesn't use ANYTHING useful for skin health. It's only alcohol, some moisturizing ingredients and colorants.
This product is soooo agressive, I couldn't use it even few times in a row.
Sorry, Clinique, but with so many researches you still wanna harm people's skin?!?!??!