CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 19-24
CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

3.6

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really love this product! It is easily the best toning product I have ever used. My skin is prone to awful acne break outs and cysts, and this has kept the problem at bay. I do recommend using a moisturiser a longside it (oil free) because it does seem that this product could dry the skin quite easily. I use the dramatically different moisturizing gel after I use this product and wow, it goes well. Would definitely urge any one who is desperate for a good product that has acne to try this stuff.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I used this toner for years. I stopped using this product about six months ago as my dermatologist told me the alcohol in it can damage skin, which can inhibit collagen production as the skin then has to repair itself. I have not used this product since then and I will not be using this product again. I now use the Clinique Mild Clarifyng Lotion and Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment as a BHA exfoliant and my skin looks great without Clarifying Lotion #4. I wish I didn't spend money over the years on a product that damaged my skin. I'll give it a 1 for its salicylic acid content, which is good for skin, but you can get that through products that don't damage your skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

#3 didn't do much for me, and no drastic improvement with #4. I was expecting to have this be my *it* astringent, but I suppose this product at least meets my minimum requirements--cleanliness, doesn't make me break out.

I wonder if this stuff makes my skin dull. It's hard to tell with my other products. I think I will start using this more often and report back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I originally went in to try the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (which I am also pleased with) and ended up purchasing the whole 3-step system. I was actually in the market for a new skincare line and the price was much less than I expected, bonus points for that.

This toner is great stuff. I am extremely oily and I was given lotion #3 (oily skin) with my initial purchase, which I was also happy with. When I ran out I decided to try #4 and I definitely see a difference, however subtle. There is a somewhat strong "clean" scent to it, mostly alcohol smelling, but it is not unpleasant or overbearing. No matter how I exfoliate or cleanse beforehand, I always see a little extra debris on the cottonball after I apply this. It's great at getting rid of extra gunk and leaves your face smooth, soft, and shine free. I cleanse, tone, and moisturize with Clinique twice daily and it does not irritate my skin at all, though I have worked up to this over the last 6 months or so.

The price is, in my opinion, very reasonable. I buy the large (13.5 oz) size and it lasts me a good 8-10 months, even with being used twice daily. A small amount goes a long way. I usually tip the bottle twice onto a cotton ball and that's plenty for my whole face. I currently am very happy with this toner and plan to keep repurchasing indefinitely. No complaints here!

I give this product a 4 because it's pricey, but it's the best toner I have ever used. I have the most oily skin of anyone I know (I mean, within just a couple hours I'm already getting greasy and sticky). I plan to use this #4 toner year round, because my skin is oily even in winter. I would recommend that only people with VERY oily skin use this #4 product, because #3 would be less harsh and more suitable for people with combination or slightly oily skin. If you aren't truly very oily, this may burn and be irritating. This is the only product that actually does what it says, clearing out any leftovers from cleansers and makeup, and it sweeps away flakes and leaves my skin feeling soft. Using it before bed, I like to use the Dramatically Different moisturizer, otherwise I only put it the gel around my eyes and on my cheeks when I'm going to apply makeup. I love that this product also doesn't leave my skin looking shiny afterwards, as some toners/sstringents leave a sheen behind, or take so much out of your skin that it's shiny afterwards. My skin feels clean and refreshed. I still suffer breakouts, but I don't blame products on my acne in general, I blame my genes and skin condition. It's not completely foolproof, after several hours the shine and grease will eventually poke through, but it takes a lot longer than with other products. This is the only toner that actually keeps my oil under control for a decent amount of time.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this works really well with the dramatically different moisturizing gel. i also tried using it with the liquid facial soap for oily skin, but found that all 3 made my skin way too dry and flakey. so i just use cetaphil's gentle skin cleanser with the toner and moisturizer. besides the fact that for some reason clinique skin care products BURN my face, this is fantastic. my oilyness has decreased significantly, even in 110 degree weather! it's really miraculous. i also like that by toning i can see everything that cleansing left behind.
the amount of product that's in the bottle is also ridiculous! SO much! i'll never finish it! and such a good price!
amazing product, and the burning only lasts a few minutes, but one lippie off.

on 4/9/2008 1:51:00 AM

For winter its a bit too drying, but in the summer it is an absolute must. This really controls oil. Also good for drying up zits. But definatley NOT for dry skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is terrible to be applying to skin; it has a very strong concentration of alcohol in it that just isn't good for facial skin. It really dried me out and made my face feel tight. This is not a good way to treat oily skin at all.