Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

3.9

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I've been with Clinique for a few years now - I used #2 Clarifying Lotion in my teens and #3 in my early 20s. Once I hit 25, my skin decided to become the Holy Meeting Grounds of the Chuch of Too Much Oil. Tragic, I know. Completley out of the blue my face started breaking out for the first time since middle school. I tried a bunch of acne remedies with no success, finally going to the Clinique counter and asking for the dreaded blue (#4) toner. Well, within 1 week (that is 7 days of the Gregorian calendar) my skin was clear again. Thank you lawd! I mean, seriously, I'm too old for pimples.

Ok, so here's what's up - do NOT use this if you have dry skin, normal skin or even skin that's sorta oily every third Tuesday. No, for this to not take your face off, YOU MUST HAVE OILY SKIN. Like, your face better look like the Fonze was all up in there. Do you even know who da Fonze is?

At the end of the day, this stuff saved my face. Ignore reviewers who say "this burned my face." Well, duh, its not for dry/normal skin.

on 3/11/2014 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

So far, so good. I've only been using this exfoliant for about a week, but can already tell it's a good product. I went so many years avoiding this particular product because of all the alcohol it contains. Supposedly, alcohol is terrible for the skin, but after using this I'll have to disagree. It doesn't irritate or dry my skin at all! I even had a laser procedure done on my face and was able to use this a few days later with no stinging/burning whatsoever.

The product has a water-like texture and absorbs into the skin quickly. I know others stated that it has a strong scent, but I didn't notice that. It smells like Witch Hazel; not strong or overpowering at all. To use, I invert the bottle once onto a cotton ball and apply in one, even layer across my face. I apply it like one would a chemical peel instead of a toner. I don't do any rubbing or circular motions because it's not really a toner. It's more like a gentle daily BHA chemical peel. I use it every morning and every other night. So far there has been absolutely no irritation or drying, only smoother skin.

It has only been a week and my skin is already much smoother. I use this in morning with my Vitamin C serum and there is no excessive drying. Before, my skin was EXTREMELY oily, but now it's soft and in balance. I no longer have to blot my face during the day and feel more confident when I wear makeup. In fact, I use the entire 3 step system and they work great together. I'm also using the Liquid Facial soap Mild and Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I'm so glad I finally tried these products because they truly are wonderful!

It's important to get the appropriate type for your skin. Before using this I tried the Mild Clarifying Lotion because I was afraid to try #4. The Mild Clarifying Lotion did absolutely nothing for my skin! My skin was still oily and it didn't exfoliate at all. I mention this because Clarifying Lotion #4 is ONLY for extremely oily skin. Don't try to use this product if your skin is dry or combination because you won't get the best results. But once you get the right combination, you'll see great results.

This product definitely gets 5 stars because it controls oil and isn't irritating. If you've been afraid to try this product because of a negative "expert" review, don't be. Just give it a shot and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ugh! its hilarious. i wanted to try all natural products and then i skipped toners, and then i just avoided all alcohol and SLS. but since ive been using this toner my pores have SHRUNK. my skin looks fantastic. no breakouts anymore. nada. and whats hilarious is, when the clinique face wash i use dries me out, the friggin ALCOHOL toner actually HELPS. i was in shock. its like the harshest toner clinique has to offer, and smells like pure alcohol, but its just so ... awesome. the only things that would make it better are a flip top or pump, and if it left my face looking matte and not shiny. but who cares about a shine anyway, its not an oil shine, just a ... clean skin shine? nothing a little spf face powder wont fix.

and this controls some OILIES!! might as well try it, but use a moisturizer afterwards! just in case.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this product. I used to use #3, but it stopped working for me. I was breaking out like crazy - probably dreaded hormones. I almost have to laugh when I read the reviews. If you have dry skin, why would you even try the blue #4 bottle? It just doesn't make sense. Anyway, if you have oily skin - try it out - you might like it.

on 5/11/2008 7:23:00 AM

BACKROUND: Clinique Clarifying Lotion #1, and #2 never did anything for my acne-prone combo sensitive skin.
Clarifying #3 worked wonderfully for 7 years on my skin, when one day,it seemed ineffective.I thought I had a bad bottle, so I purchased another one, and alas, the #3 lost it's magic touch.

REVIEW FOR CLARIFYING #4
I've been using the #4 for a few weeks, and yay, it's been wonderful in clearing my skin of all it's little bumps, and exfoliating the deeper painful blemishes I get.
It's quite strong, so to avoid excessive peeling or irritation, I alternate it with pure witch hazel.
I use the Clarifying #4 in the PM, and the witch hazel in the AM. (Witch hazel is great at soothing the skin :))
If you are on a Benzoyl peroxide acne regimen, a good salicylic acid toner like this is a must. The salicylic acid preps your skin for the bp by encouraging cell turnover. In a way, it opens your skin up for the bp medication to get into your current blemishes and pores.

Bythe way this product also cleared my chest and back breakouts.

It's a wonderful product and will always be a staple for me.

I wonder if they will eventually come out with a #5? (hee-hee)

I love this stuff. I have very weird skin - it's never been exceptionally oily, but once I hit my 20s I started experiencing chronic breakout clusters on my chin and around my mouth. After about 6 months of skincare trial and error I decided to step up to this, and I have never seen anything like it. I use it with the Acne Solutions antibacterial soap and I can honestly say that I can't recall having a pimple in the 11 months that I've used it. Thing is, you have to be careful with the whole 3-Step system - using even one of the wrong products can seriously mess up your skin. I started out with the Mild soap and the Clarifying Lotion 2, which didn't help matters at all. Then I switched to the Oily Skin soap and the 3 toner, which, for some reason, made my skin worse. Unfortunately, the SAs are not always very helpful...I worked at a Clinique counter for a year, and some of my colleagues would just recommend Skin Type 2 across the board, and wouldn't really listen to the customer's concerns. Bottom line - if you have the right combination of products, your life will be changed. But hold on to your receipts, because you might have to exchange a few things to get there.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin not just in the t-zone, but also in my cheeks. My skin breaks out really bad and feels dirty even after I cleanse if I don't follow up with my clarifying lotion within an hour or so. This product is an exfoliator and .5% higher in salacylic acid than the #3 version. (2% total)

It takes a while to get used to, but if you have oily skin, this is one of the few things that I have found that actually clears out the oil. I am lazy and use it about once a day and I don't use any of the other 3 step products....however, this is my HG and I'm sure that it will always be....Exfoliators (which is what this is) also help skin reproduce faster (or stay at the faster pace of younger skin) and keep skin from aging so fast...I also have scarring from past acne and this stuff keeps the skin renewing to get rid of that crap....Very good product!

Although my skin is oily (still! at 41!) I avoided the #4 clarifying lotion for years, choosing #3 instead because I feared irritating or burning my skin. Clinique has been running ads about their new, reformulated Clarifying Lotions, so I took the plunge and tried #4.

WOW! My skin is amazingly fresh, bright, and clear, even during PMS! The salicylic acid has exfoliating properties that are as good for aging skin as they are for acne-prone skin. The alcohol content does not irritate my skin in the least. I do use this in combination with the Oily Skin formula liquid soap and the DDMG. In winter, I may switch to the #3 or even #2 Clarifying Lotion and the Moisture Surge creme instead; that's what happened last winter. All I can say is, I kind of HATE Clinique for being so mainstream and so wasteful with their packaging, while still producing the best products I've ever used for my face. I'd love to throw my bucks at Dr. Hauschka or Boscia instead, but my skin loves it some Clinique and I can't complain when people are shocked that I'm over 40!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I used this toner for years. I stopped using this product about six months ago as my dermatologist told me the alcohol in it can damage skin, which can inhibit collagen production as the skin then has to repair itself. I have not used this product since then and I will not be using this product again. I now use the Clinique Mild Clarifyng Lotion and Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment as a BHA exfoliant and my skin looks great without Clarifying Lotion #4. I wish I didn't spend money over the years on a product that damaged my skin. I'll give it a 1 for its salicylic acid content, which is good for skin, but you can get that through products that don't damage your skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I started using this clarifying lotion and fell in love! This toner makes my oily skin stay matte and shine free. I love how it makes my pores disappear. I just love it. Im also using it with a gentle cleanser and the Clinique DD Moisturizing Lotion. However, I wish this had a pump or something other than just an open hole. Its kind of $$ but i got the giant bottle and im thinking it will last me a long time. I think i found a winner.