Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4

3.9

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

on 5/10/2018 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very oily skin and bought this product after a review that I read called it “transforming”. I found it be just that. It seemed to leave my skin brighter and smoother than before. It also seemed to help somewhat with breakouts. Like other reviewers, I must mention that I have never used it twice a day. I only have ever used as part of my evening skin care routine.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I really like this product ! I have very oily skin and am usually prone to breakouts. Recently I had 2 chemical peelings done 4 weeks apart and started using this toner. I really like it as it isn't too powerful but just enough to get you through the day ! I'd buy this product again, although the price is very expensive.

on 12/22/2017 11:16:00 PM

Clinique is notorious for their toners Bc indeed they are harsh! I'm personally a #4 in their diagnostic type Bc I have a very oily skin type especially on my t zone & my cheeks are oily too !
I was never a big toner person Bc I believe that if you have a decent face cleanser it should clean off all the oil & dirt effectively !
I have bought this #4 toner a good number of times both in the small & vbigger size ! I think 💭 just to get the free bonus gift 🎁
& I never used it twice daily as they instruct Bc it's too harsh for your face ! I do however use it perhaps like weekly @ night as a deeper clean to pick up any residual dirt left over by the face wash & surprisingly it does a good job of that without irritating 😠 my skin or leaving a residue & it leaves my skin feeling fresh! But I think 💭 weekly use is ok but not twice daily! Bc all this alcohol 🍺 can't be possibly healthy for the skin! I also tend to use this toner more so in the summer time when it's really hot& humid & your face is oily & it's not convenient to wash my face! it's good to clean & refresh your face!
I like how another reviewer said Clinique toners are the junk food of the cosmetics industry & she's right in saying so Bc when you look over the ingredients it's basically expensive glorified alcohol 🍺 & witch hazel with some colors I feel the #4 toner is the only one that actually exfoliates Bc it has the salicyclic acid in it
It's a ok toner definitely much better then the crap from the drug store unless you have very oily skin this would be too harsh for your skin! I use it occasionally & it's fine but like now it's winter so I have not been using it
I

on 7/22/2016 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Surprisingly, you would think that Clarifying Lotion 4 would be quite strong, but I find it isn't. That's a good thing! I do not use this twice a day as Clinique and their BA's suggest. Instead, I use it only 2-3 times a week at night. It feels nice and isn't irritating for my skin. I was worried about alcohol content, but I think if you use it sparingly like I do, you won't have a problem. I use it after cleansing only certain nights, and not every night. I follow with a serum and moisturizer.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I only use this at night for exfoliation. It really doesn't keep me matte in the day, I use Chanel's Lotion Purete for that. It really does exfoliate, fits well in my regime.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had avoided this for years and never gave into the hype( also read dermatologist blogs and they did NOT recommend this).
So I finally figured what the heck might as well. I have extremely oily skin and chose option 4 for oily skin.
:0/ nothing really bad happened other than maybe just a couple extra breakouts but absolutely nothing good happened either. I did not notice it make any improvement to my skin at all nor did it help with the oil. If anything I think if anything I was a more oily.
I had been using neutrogena pore refining which seemed to clear up my skin better than any others I have tried and maybe had a lil improvement as to my oily skin, and marks started to fade.
For the price I would not buy this again, it did nothing. I might as well have just skipped toner all together.
Paulas Choice bha liquid is nice for breakouts and helping with marks. Not fond of her toners either.

on 3/11/2014 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

So far, so good. I've only been using this exfoliant for about a week, but can already tell it's a good product. I went so many years avoiding this particular product because of all the alcohol it contains. Supposedly, alcohol is terrible for the skin, but after using this I'll have to disagree. It doesn't irritate or dry my skin at all! I even had a laser procedure done on my face and was able to use this a few days later with no stinging/burning whatsoever.

The product has a water-like texture and absorbs into the skin quickly. I know others stated that it has a strong scent, but I didn't notice that. It smells like Witch Hazel; not strong or overpowering at all. To use, I invert the bottle once onto a cotton ball and apply in one, even layer across my face. I apply it like one would a chemical peel instead of a toner. I don't do any rubbing or circular motions because it's not really a toner. It's more like a gentle daily BHA chemical peel. I use it every morning and every other night. So far there has been absolutely no irritation or drying, only smoother skin.

It has only been a week and my skin is already much smoother. I use this in morning with my Vitamin C serum and there is no excessive drying. Before, my skin was EXTREMELY oily, but now it's soft and in balance. I no longer have to blot my face during the day and feel more confident when I wear makeup. In fact, I use the entire 3 step system and they work great together. I'm also using the Liquid Facial soap Mild and Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I'm so glad I finally tried these products because they truly are wonderful!

It's important to get the appropriate type for your skin. Before using this I tried the Mild Clarifying Lotion because I was afraid to try #4. The Mild Clarifying Lotion did absolutely nothing for my skin! My skin was still oily and it didn't exfoliate at all. I mention this because Clarifying Lotion #4 is ONLY for extremely oily skin. Don't try to use this product if your skin is dry or combination because you won't get the best results. But once you get the right combination, you'll see great results.

This product definitely gets 5 stars because it controls oil and isn't irritating. If you've been afraid to try this product because of a negative "expert" review, don't be. Just give it a shot and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really love this product! It is easily the best toning product I have ever used. My skin is prone to awful acne break outs and cysts, and this has kept the problem at bay. I do recommend using a moisturiser a longside it (oil free) because it does seem that this product could dry the skin quite easily. I use the dramatically different moisturizing gel after I use this product and wow, it goes well. Would definitely urge any one who is desperate for a good product that has acne to try this stuff.

on 11/21/2013 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this toner consistently for 2 months now and love it. It smells lightly of witch hazel but the scent goes away very quickly. I use it with a cotton ball twice after cleansing each night to remove any leftover residue and it leaves my face feeling clean and fresh. I believe it helps with my breakouts and oiliness. I love Clinique's minimalist packaging and one bottle lasts months making the price worth it. I plan on repurchasing

on 10/2/2012 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

So, I've been on the hunt for the perfect facial care system. I'm 33 years old with oily prone Hispanic skin. I don't have any wrinkles (yet) but suffer from genetic undereye circles, large pores, and a never ending supply of blackheads on the chin and nose. What I need is a skin care line (and I'm willing to pay the price) that will minimize my pores for a more airbrushed look, get rid of the blackheads, and brighten my sometimes dull complexion. I went ahead and splurged on the 3-step system #4, Wash Away Gel Cleanser plus the Dark Spot Corrector and Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum (see my other reviews.) All in all, it set me back about $150.00. I decided to review each part of the system separately because some elements work better than others. The first step was to remove makeup with the Wash Away Gel Cleanser, then use the Liquid Facial Soap, then use this "Clarifying Lotion." I put that in quotes, because don't let anyone fool you, this is NOT a lotion, it is a toner. The rep at Clinique corrected me more than once when I called it that. They are pretty hell bent on advertising it as the exfoliating step. So does it exfoliate? Well, when you put it on a cotton round and rub it on your face, I suppose it should exfoliate. And it does. It doesn't smell like much, and doesn't sting too much, and it gets the residue left over from your face wash and removes any makeup clinging to your pores. I've never really realized the purpose of such toners until I put it with a total skincare system, but for my skin type, it most definitely has its place. My skin is much less greasy, my pores are smaller, and I attribute it to this Clarifying lotion. How do I know this, when I bought the whole giant system? I've moved on to Estee Lauder skincare and bought their Balancing lotion, and it does the same thing. This Clinique Clarifying lotion works as it says, but since I want a skin care system that works all together, and I didn't like certain parts of this one, I would only buy it again if I haven't found my dream system.