CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

Filtered by age: 30-35
CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

3.7

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

on 7/22/2016 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Surprisingly, you would think that Clarifying Lotion 4 would be quite strong, but I find it isn't. That's a good thing! I do not use this twice a day as Clinique and their BA's suggest. Instead, I use it only 2-3 times a week at night. It feels nice and isn't irritating for my skin. I was worried about alcohol content, but I think if you use it sparingly like I do, you won't have a problem. I use it after cleansing only certain nights, and not every night. I follow with a serum and moisturizer.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had avoided this for years and never gave into the hype( also read dermatologist blogs and they did NOT recommend this).
So I finally figured what the heck might as well. I have extremely oily skin and chose option 4 for oily skin.
:0/ nothing really bad happened other than maybe just a couple extra breakouts but absolutely nothing good happened either. I did not notice it make any improvement to my skin at all nor did it help with the oil. If anything I think if anything I was a more oily.
I had been using neutrogena pore refining which seemed to clear up my skin better than any others I have tried and maybe had a lil improvement as to my oily skin, and marks started to fade.
For the price I would not buy this again, it did nothing. I might as well have just skipped toner all together.
Paulas Choice bha liquid is nice for breakouts and helping with marks. Not fond of her toners either.

on 3/11/2014 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

So far, so good. I've only been using this exfoliant for about a week, but can already tell it's a good product. I went so many years avoiding this particular product because of all the alcohol it contains. Supposedly, alcohol is terrible for the skin, but after using this I'll have to disagree. It doesn't irritate or dry my skin at all! I even had a laser procedure done on my face and was able to use this a few days later with no stinging/burning whatsoever.

The product has a water-like texture and absorbs into the skin quickly. I know others stated that it has a strong scent, but I didn't notice that. It smells like Witch Hazel; not strong or overpowering at all. To use, I invert the bottle once onto a cotton ball and apply in one, even layer across my face. I apply it like one would a chemical peel instead of a toner. I don't do any rubbing or circular motions because it's not really a toner. It's more like a gentle daily BHA chemical peel. I use it every morning and every other night. So far there has been absolutely no irritation or drying, only smoother skin.

It has only been a week and my skin is already much smoother. I use this in morning with my Vitamin C serum and there is no excessive drying. Before, my skin was EXTREMELY oily, but now it's soft and in balance. I no longer have to blot my face during the day and feel more confident when I wear makeup. In fact, I use the entire 3 step system and they work great together. I'm also using the Liquid Facial soap Mild and Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I'm so glad I finally tried these products because they truly are wonderful!

It's important to get the appropriate type for your skin. Before using this I tried the Mild Clarifying Lotion because I was afraid to try #4. The Mild Clarifying Lotion did absolutely nothing for my skin! My skin was still oily and it didn't exfoliate at all. I mention this because Clarifying Lotion #4 is ONLY for extremely oily skin. Don't try to use this product if your skin is dry or combination because you won't get the best results. But once you get the right combination, you'll see great results.

This product definitely gets 5 stars because it controls oil and isn't irritating. If you've been afraid to try this product because of a negative "expert" review, don't be. Just give it a shot and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

on 10/2/2012 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

So, I've been on the hunt for the perfect facial care system. I'm 33 years old with oily prone Hispanic skin. I don't have any wrinkles (yet) but suffer from genetic undereye circles, large pores, and a never ending supply of blackheads on the chin and nose. What I need is a skin care line (and I'm willing to pay the price) that will minimize my pores for a more airbrushed look, get rid of the blackheads, and brighten my sometimes dull complexion. I went ahead and splurged on the 3-step system #4, Wash Away Gel Cleanser plus the Dark Spot Corrector and Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum (see my other reviews.) All in all, it set me back about $150.00. I decided to review each part of the system separately because some elements work better than others. The first step was to remove makeup with the Wash Away Gel Cleanser, then use the Liquid Facial Soap, then use this "Clarifying Lotion." I put that in quotes, because don't let anyone fool you, this is NOT a lotion, it is a toner. The rep at Clinique corrected me more than once when I called it that. They are pretty hell bent on advertising it as the exfoliating step. So does it exfoliate? Well, when you put it on a cotton round and rub it on your face, I suppose it should exfoliate. And it does. It doesn't smell like much, and doesn't sting too much, and it gets the residue left over from your face wash and removes any makeup clinging to your pores. I've never really realized the purpose of such toners until I put it with a total skincare system, but for my skin type, it most definitely has its place. My skin is much less greasy, my pores are smaller, and I attribute it to this Clarifying lotion. How do I know this, when I bought the whole giant system? I've moved on to Estee Lauder skincare and bought their Balancing lotion, and it does the same thing. This Clinique Clarifying lotion works as it says, but since I want a skin care system that works all together, and I didn't like certain parts of this one, I would only buy it again if I haven't found my dream system.

on 10/14/2011 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely LOVE this toner! I only stopped using it because Tazorac is irritating my skin. It was great at mattifying and was fresh and light. Only drawback: It is heavily perfumed.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This toner really sweeps up oil in the summertime. I otherwise use #3 during all other seasons. While I still get an occasional breakout, nothing controls oil better than this. And I learned that using a cotton square or round works better than a cotton ball. I only gave it a 2 for the packaging because it can spill. I wish it came with a pump, which the #3 occasionally does.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I bought this as part of a 3-step system for super oily skin. I was on my quest for something that would work. This was NOT it. It made my face red and irritated. It seemed to create MORE acne. I gave it to my mom. She didn't love it. I think Clinique needs to lay off the alcohol! Now, I use a toner from Paula's Choice and it is a superior product that I recommend over Clinique.

on 7/7/2010 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

LOVE this product. Please make sure to work up to the four never ever ever just go and buy it. You will wreck your skin. Having that said, after making insane amounts of oil, my skin needs daily and frequent exfoliation. The clarifying lotion is liquid exfoliation and not a toner. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT, for my oily skin, and the breakouts will start soon after going up, but after the bad stuff, the good results will start! I love Clinique's 3 step, and feel like the products have helped me with my skin. I do have to change products from time to time, but I always come back to Clinique. It seems to go well with my topical prescription products, which my derm is aware of my skin routine. She thumbs up anything that works for the individual. So just make sure to ask for a consult for their 3 step, and you will be lead to products that are great for acne proned skin ,but makes good skin ...absolutely beautiful

on 3/15/2010 3:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

you start to deliver fresh dewy skin in just days,,ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

on 12/10/2009 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Forget this as a toner! This stuff is more like a mild chemical peel. Seriously. I don't hate this product, but I don't love it nor would I reach for it on a daily basis. Once is enough for me.
This does get rid of clogged pores, but it dries and peels your skin out something fierce. If you have tolerant skin, don't use other actives or retinoids, then you will love this. But if you use other stuff on your skin this will only aggravate it and cause more harm than good. Use with caution.