Equate Therapeutic Shampoo

This doesn't work and THE SMELL LINGERS SO STRONGLY IN YOUR HAIR

on 11/11/2014 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased this shampoo at Walmart for about $6 to replace my T-gel. The bottle says, "Long lasting relief for itchy flaky scalp." and boasts that it contains 2.5% coal tar. The product comes in a box that you can open and see a bottle with no seal. It didn't smell as much like tea tree as t-gel does, but I figured that was probably why it was cheaper.

I wet my hair in the shower and applied a strip of product to my fingertips and into my scalp, but I didn't get a good lather. I rinsed it and reapplied, which gave me a better lather. After my normal bathing routine, I rinsed it thoroughly with the shower head directly on my scalp, but when I got out I could still hear the lather crackling. My hair felt very stiff and stripped. I thuroughly rinsed it gain and applied a deep conditioner. When I went to rinse out the conditioner, I noticed a huge ball of hair in my drain catcher. I do tend to shed quite a bit this time of year, but not as much as this product caused. The leave in conditioner did medicate the rubbery dryness that this shampoo left me with, but that hair that fell out...I'm just lucky I have thick hair.

I'm surprised nobody has reviewed this product on Makeup Ally yet, with t-gel being so expensive. I don't entirly blame this product for hair loss, but I do blame it for making my hair clumpy and stripped. I will be returning it to Walmart tomorrow morning. I'd rather pay double for a product that works. I wouldn't recommend this to an enemy because it's that bad. My mother used to wash our hair with pine tar soap and it wasn't as harsh as this stuff!