Crisco

Price: $

on 8/27/2017 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Crisco is a skin protectant for very dry, flaking, or irritated skin. It is best for mature or dry skin. I am Sicilian and in my youth I had very oily skin and never needed moisturizers. I never had any issues with dry skin until I started using Retin-A in my late 20s, when skin became extremely dry and started flaking. I couldn't find a moisturizer that countered the flaking, so I discontinued retinoids.

After age 35, I knew that I should use a retinoid, but at the same time my skin became significantly more dry on my cheeks and my oil production dropped. I started using Differin, but I knew that I needed serious moisture and protection to counter the dryness and flaking. I still struggle with acne even at age 38; however, the Crisco does not break me out. The purpose of Crisco is to seal in moisture and act as a skin protectant.

My current nightly skincare routine:
I wash my face with Cyclic Nano Silver soap and pat dry.
MUAC BellEvolve Beautifeye serum around my eyes.
2-4x per week, I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid.
Differin gel, which is now available over-the-counter in the United States.
Jenu hyaluronic acid all over my face and neck.
Jenu ultrasonic infuser all over my face and neck (their conducting gel is a huge ripoff, I just buy the enormous tube of ultrasound gel from Amazon instead and it works just as well).
Rub Crisco into my hands, body, and neck. If needed, I will lightly apply a small amount of Crisco to my face. I only apply Crisco to my face when it's feeling dry, tight, or flaking. I tend to use a lot more in the winter.

For daytime, I wear SPF 50+ every single day, whether or not I'm going outside.

Yes, the Crisco goes on a bit greasy, but it absorbs while I sleep and when I wake up my skin looks so smooth and dewy that it looks like I'm wearing foundation. Even if you don't want to use it on your face, you can also use Crisco as a body moisturizer. My scars and stretch marks seem diminished since I have started using Crisco. It is very mild (soybean and cottonseed oil) and it is naturally 15% vitamin E. I like the fact that it is fragrance-free and I don't notice any smell or scent from the oils since I only have to use a small amount for my entire body. It goes on really well after a shower or bath while your skin is still damp.

If I had $200 per month to drop on skincare I am sure that I would use something fancy like La Mer, but Crisco is inexpensive and I can use as much as I want. My skin feels supple and dewy since I've started using it, instead of flaky, dry, and tight.

on 4/2/2017 6:48:00 PM

Really, the best. I use a mild retinol product at night, allow it to absorb and then put the Crisco on over that. For daytime, first a little Crisco and a tinted moisturizer (for color, I get very pale) with sunscreen. Been doing this for years. At 55, I have gorgeous skin (face and neck) and get asked all the time what I use. I also put it on hands, feet, body, whatever. I buy the giant tub. Has never clogged my pores (coconut oil and olive oil can), has zero fragrance for my fragrance sensitive skin/eyes and costs next to nothing. If my skin is really dry, I use a lot; if not dry, just a dab. Love, love, love it. Oh, there's nothing wrong with the packaging (3-stars), the cherry pie on the can is a little off-putting for a beauty product!

on 8/5/2014 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Wow. I love this stuff as a makeup remover. I usually use Clinique's Take the Day Off cleansing balm, but I ran out and just did not get around to buying a new tub. I'm not sure what possessed me to do this, but I grabbed an unopened tin of Crisco from my pantry, rubbed it into my skin and then used an old flannel receiving blanket to remove my makeup. It gently removed every trace of eyeliner, mascara etc. I then used my regular cleanser, toner and moisturizer and my skin felt great. I've been doing this for about a week, and my skin has been very luminous and fresh looking. I should point out that I have dry skin, and I'm sure not everyone would be as into this as I am, but for the dry-skinned among you, it's worth a shot. My cleansing balm costs just about thirty dollars for just over three ounces of product. Crisco is under $2.50 for 16 ounces of product. Math was never my best subject, but I can comprehend those numbers. I never thought I'd stray from my cleansing balm, but I'm loving me some Crisco.

on 12/27/2012 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

It's winter and I have very dry skin as it is. I woke up and my face looked like all the moisture in it was sucked out over night. After my morning cleansing I used my coco butter stick (pure) and my face seem to have ate that in the same hour!!!
Went to make breakfast and seen the Crisco so grabbed some and applied to my face, took a slightly wet towel to pat some off then on my way. Hours later I am shocked that my face is smooth still! Love it and should try it on my body but whip it first also but idk yet. lol

First of all, I already loved Crisco. Everyone always compliments my amazing double chocolate chip cookies and Crisco is my secret ingredient.

:-)

So, when my CeraVe ran out, I needed a new cleanser. I thought about trying a cold cream, but it's primarily mineral oil, so I thought, "I could just use Vaseline for that! Then I thought about making my own cold cream using oils and borax, but the borax had me a little concerned.

So, long story short: I went online for alternatives and came across Crisco.

I decided to use the Crisco as a cold cream: I slathered it on, let it sit a minute and then wiped it off with a warm, wet wash cloth. It left my face clean, dewy and amazing.

I decided to also use some as a face moisturizer at night--just a very minute amount--and my face looked great this morning.

After further research, however, there are some chemicals in it that I find to be questionable (please look through these reviews for further details on that issue). Of course, there are far worse products out there than cottonseed oil and hydrogenated soybean oil. Still, I don't want them sitting on my face.

As such, I plan to keep using this as a cold cream--cheap and amazing!--and continue using grape seed oil mixed with a little geranium oil as my moisturizer.

If you are in need of a moisturizer and on a tight budget, I definitely recommend trying this. There are so many natural alternatives to beauty products, most of which you can find in your own kitchen. There's really no need to spend extra money, plus I find my skin responds better to the items in my cabinets anyway.

on 2/28/2014 10:13:00 PM

my neighbor told me about using Crisco as a moisturizer, I tried it thinking it wouldnt work but it is true! I loved how my face felt soft and smooth and I even used it on my heels too! The only thing I have to get used to is the can with the photo of a pie on it!. I put it in a fancy antique jar and nobody knows its really Crisco! I save $$$ too!

on 6/6/2011 11:48:00 AM

So I was alternating using Eucerin products and another product on my sensitive, mature skin. Suddenly I had a flare-up, and my whole face got red, tight, and dry. I guessed the irritating product was the non-Eucerin one, so I stopped using it and looked for a replacement. Then I remembered I had this tub of store-brand Crisco in my kitchen cabinet, and decided to give it a try. So glad I did! It really moisturizes and soothes my face, and I certainly don't have to worry about problematic ingredients. I also sometimes use it to remove makeup (even mascara). I now alternate this with my Eucerin night cream and am super happy with the results. Crisco would be a great desert island product--you can safely and effectively use it on your whole body; it's great for dry or chapped hands, lips, anything. The longer I use it, the more things I find myself using it for. The only downside is it's probably too greasy to use on your face during the day, and it has a very slightly unpleasant scent. Ladies who think using Crisco on your skin is gross, ask yourself this: could you safely eat that expensive skin cream you're using???

on 10/17/2009 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have been using crisco off and on for years. Many of the fancy soy based creams use crisco in them for the oils. I love to whip some honey, crisco, olive oil, and glycerine until it is light and like frosting and put into jars. I scent this with some lavender essential oil and I am good to go. I use this on my face, by body and under my eyes. I have very dry skin naturally and this is a cheap alternative to very expensive creams. I like to alternate oils. Sometimes I will use sesame oil, olive oil, safflower oil, cocoa butter, unrefined shea butter, almond oil, etc. I think the key here is just putting these oils on top of moist wet skin to trap the moisture into your skin. Isn't that basically what lotion is? It is an emulsion of water and oil with an emulsifying wax and other ingredients for label appeal and to adjust the fragrance or thickness of the lotion or cream. I have made my own homemade lotion and while it is nice, in the winter I find I need a heavier amount of oils on my skin. Crisco does the job. I usually use the Crisco more on my body and reserve the extra virgin olive oil on my face with some lavender essential oil added. I have a cute cut glass crystal jar with a silver lid that is very elegant. I keep it filled with the whipped crisco and keep in my bathroom. It looks very elegant and guests have no idea that I am using Crisco. I have friends that go to the spa on a regular basis and spend a lot of money on product. Their skin is no better than my skin. If you have super dry skin like me, try Crisco (or any straight oil) out on top of wet skin. It works and it keeps it simple and is kind on your pocketbook. Plus, the less ingredients you use, the less chance for irritation.

on 8/25/2011 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I once read that Helen Gurley Brown (former editor of Cosmopolitan magazine) was advised by her plastic surgeon to put Crisco (yes, the shortening for baking!!) on her face to speed healing and keep skin dewy and elastic.
I figured if Helen Gurley Brown was doing it, it can't be all bad.

I tried it and have continued to use it regularly with excellent results.

BUT, I don't think this product would be for everyone...I have normal to slightly dry middle-aged skin that has never been prone to blemishes. I fear that someone who has really active oil glands might break out using Crisco. But if your skin is like mine, read on:

Crisco is my night cream. I like a really rich cream overnight and Crisco fits the bill. I put it on damp skin and it goes on very, very greasy. However, it seems to absorb into my skin overnight. I wake up looking dewy and refreshed, not greasy.

I understand the hydrogenated oils contain a lot of Vitamin E, which promotes healing and even skin tone. If nothing else, the cream locks in moisture to allow your skin to stay supple.

I think that "locking in of moisture" is important. Many of the miracle, scientifically researched cosmeceutical-type night creams I have used have not performed any better.

Obviously, this is not a daytime moisturizer. And if you enjoy the fancier lotions/creams with miracle ingredients for daytime use, go ahead and enjoy. But as far as locking in moisture, and allowing gentle healing from environmental stresses for the overnight hours, dollar for dollar, Crisco cannot be beat.

My brother in law told me about Crisco for my chronic itchy skin.... I didn't believe him so I put it off... well today I could stand the itching anymore and slathered the Crisco on and the itching stopped!!! It didn't really feel gross because when it melted into my skin it was light. I'm in love because my cetaphil moisturizer was just sitting on top of my skin and making it worse... I even found a recipe for homemade flavored lip gloss made with Crisco and kool-aid it's awesome!!!!

Popular Face Skincare Products