Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

4.5

on 4/3/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really enjoy wearing Black Opium. It smells delicious, yet slightly mysterious. This is perfect for fans of Hypnotic Poison and La Vie Est Belle (ME). It doesn't smell like either of them, but, as a fragrance it embodies the same idea of elegant sweetness. It reminds me of chocolate, and coffee, and orange blossoms...some of my very favorite things in life! For some reason this perfume generates a lot of negativity among fragrance reviewers. Personally, I don't care that it's not a "masterpiece", because I couldn't afford it if it was. And I don't mind that it doesn't smell like the original Opium. In my experience, the original Opium repels those around me more effectively than Roach Killer. My husband, kids, friends, and random strangers all compliment Black Opium, year-round. I guess it just works with my chemistry. I recently purchased Black Opium Floral Shock and I'm loving it, as well, especially as the weather heats up.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I LOVE this perfume! If you love vanilla and warm undertones, then this is your HG. The staying power is excellent, especially when layered after lotion or light body oil. I get lots of compliments on how good I smell when wearing Black Opium. If you love Organza Indecence by Givenchy, then you'll enjoy Black Opium.👍🏼😊

on 12/19/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Amazing. My signature scent. It's pricey, but worth it considering how well it stays on me. I could even smell it still after a shower (no joke). That's how I knew this baby was a keeper. It's a very warm, sensual and sweet scent. It's totally up my alley.

Will repurchase.

on 11/16/2015 2:27:00 PM

I have three categories of perfumes that I use:

1) Works of art that are (usually) pricey and have been acquired after a long labor-of-love search factoring in artistry, compatability with body chamistry, and the kind of scent you feel embodies YOU (ex. Diptyque Tam Dao is this for me).

2) Simple, easy scents that smell delicious to me: musk oils, Jovan White Musk, random farmer's market roll-ons - that kind of thing.

3) The category Black Opium belongs to.

It's like...hard to describe though. I'll wear this on a night out and people flock to me, telling me how good I smell. And it DOES smell good. Like a Studio 54 heyday disco queen. I'm cool with that vibe. And I like being told I smell good, yet at the same time I just can't muster up the same affection for Black Opium that I have for my most beloved perfumes. There's something about it that doesn't play well with my tastes and senses.

I'll still wear it until I tire of it, though. I'll take that decadent atmosphere, those compliments and neck-sniffs ;)

Popular Fragrances