Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.9

All time favourite scent - not as dainty as typical florals.Smells sweet but not in a sickly way. Lasts on the skin a long time and is not too overpowering.
The only drawback is the price tag.

on 4/3/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really enjoy wearing Black Opium. It smells delicious, yet slightly mysterious. This is perfect for fans of Hypnotic Poison and La Vie Est Belle (ME). It doesn't smell like either of them, but, as a fragrance it embodies the same idea of elegant sweetness. It reminds me of chocolate, and coffee, and orange blossoms...some of my very favorite things in life! For some reason this perfume generates a lot of negativity among fragrance reviewers. Personally, I don't care that it's not a "masterpiece", because I couldn't afford it if it was. And I don't mind that it doesn't smell like the original Opium. In my experience, the original Opium repels those around me more effectively than Roach Killer. My husband, kids, friends, and random strangers all compliment Black Opium, year-round. I guess it just works with my chemistry. I recently purchased Black Opium Floral Shock and I'm loving it, as well, especially as the weather heats up.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love the sultry scent combination and incredible lasting power of this fragrance! This one combines coffee, jasmine, vanilla, and a host of other yummy notes. I sprayed it on in the early evening and woke up smelling my perfume as though it had just been applied. Everyone who has smelled this on me thinks it's a fantastic fragrance, and I get compliments all the time. It's strong and heavy, but it's another one knocked out of the park by YSL, IMO.

on 9/29/2016 3:03:00 PM

I'm in love with this fragrance. It is sweet but I have always loved sweet scents. I can't wear most fragrances without my eyes watering and getting a headache but this is an exception. I had a delivery man come in my office right after I sprayed this and he took a picture so he could get it for his wife. He said it was the best thing he ever smelled!

on 1/17/2016 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is slowly becoming my signature scent, and I absolutely love it (despite the price...)

on 12/17/2015 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Unfortunately I didn't like this and really wanted to. Was really hoping you could smell the coffee notes in this one, but the coffee just meekly wanders in behind the strong fruity flowers and sits shyly in the corner before it slips out of the room unoticed. Honestly this smells like every other popular perfume on the market. La vie a belle, Armani Si, and flower bomb. If u already own one of those perfumes I would spend money on this one.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

the bottle is pretty, sparkly and classy. the scent is an exact replica of loverdose (the purple bottle). im disappointed as its not a new fragrance and not nearly as classy as the original opium; this is a far younger scent and again, smells exactly like Loverdose.

on 11/29/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm surprised to see this isn't rated higher. I got this as a tester and really quite like it. It's definitely has a sweet smell more than anything - it's vanilla but the undertones of the coffee give it a very deep smell. I don't smell anything that screams COFFEE(that'd be a weird perfume I think), but the slight notes are there. I find this to be a smooth, rich, sensual, and warm scent. It's amazing for fall/winter. It seems to wear for a while too without being overpowering, which I love. Only 4/5 because I didn't fall in love with it, but it's still one of my faves.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After reading some of the reviews for this fragrance, I must admit this is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. However, I was on the fence about purchasing a full sized bottle of this, and reading these reviews have reminded me that I already own this fragrance, though in different variations. I have never been a Flowerbomb fan and while I don't hate the scent, I don't understand the hype and more importantly do not wish to smell like every other young 20-something out there. This is one of those strong, sultry, musky fragrances that is both woody and floral simultaneously. I feel like it reminds me of both See by Chloe and Touch by Burberry. Perhaps when I run out of those two (rather large) bottles, I would reconsider purchasing this as a full size, but the last thing I need is another bottle of perfume that is so similar to those I already own.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

As a periodic fan of YSL's original Opium (I have gone through several phases of enjoying the scent in my 48 years), I was eager to try the new release Black Opium. I saw this in France at Sephora six weeks ago but forgot to test as I was overwhelmed by all of the new scent releases. Fast forward to yesterday. A large tester bottle was sitting at my local drugstore. I was attracted to the gorgeous bottle and had visions of a dark, mysterious, sensual fragrance inside. I pulled up my sleeve and doused my arm without regard for the safety or well being of those around me. Immediately, I was choked by a cloud of chocolate. Not dark, rich, decadent chocolate...no, more the sickly sweet Snickers bar variety. "Ok", I thought..."this version starts off sweet. Soon the sexy, spicy scent of cinnamon will come in to wrestle this baby off the playground and into the bedroom!" Yeah, about that...I'm still waiting. It took approximately 3 minutes for Black Opium to frolic into a sugar fairyland version of Lancome's "La Vie est Belle"! I have never been as negatively surprised by a new fragrance launch as this. Where is the Opium? Heck, where is the Black? Seriously! Absolutely NOTHING about this dissapointingly linear fragrance is new, innovative or sensual. VANILLA, VANILLA...and more, VANILLA! This is rainbows and unicorns. Candyland and those Cos-Play pink festooned anim characters come to mind. Guess what? It lasts a REALLY long time too! My jacket will have to be dry cleaned as I don't care to smell like my daughter's 9th grade home room. I didn't wash my arm for a few hours. Convinced somehow, that there would be a deepening...a change...SOME development. Let's just say, I'm glad I didn't hold my breath! Sorry, YSL. This is bad. A travesty really. YSL has become a department store brand catering to the masses. Difficult to accept that such a great house actually allowed this to be released...especially as a flanker of one of THE most iconic fragrances in recorded history. I'm glad we have many, many better scents from which to choose. Big pass on this one!

Popular Fragrances