Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.7

on 5/2/2017 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I was really disappointed with this fragrance. I love spicy and woodsy scents and I'm a big fan of Christian Dior Addict and Calvin Klein Euphoria. Both which I've gotten compliments on as they are really great long lasting fragrances. This one disappeared as soon as I applied it. No matter when or how I applied it lasted only long enough for one whiff. (two lippies off) Smells great but I wouldn't buy this again. Also the bottle made it tricky to spray and it kind of leaked. Not what I want to happen when I purchase a $90 bottle.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I swear I keep smelling this perfume everywhere and I'm starting to despise it. It doesn't help that YSL keeps advertising this as some sort of edgy, "cool-girls-only" scent when in reality it smells like all the other sweet, ultra-feminine licorice-heavy gourmands out there. The only thing that sets it apart is the coffee note but to me it's more of a teasing, fleeting wisp of watered down coffee masked with too many spoonfuls of sugar. It lacks the deep, smoky, robust aroma that an actual cup of joe has. Also, I think it's just my skin chemistry but the coffee note disappears very quickly and is overtaken by the licorice, which is a note I personally don't care for. By that point it's essentially Lolita Lempicka with a darker, less sharply sweet drydown, and that one is a mere fraction of the cost.

Not a bad fragrance by any means, but I do think it's a bit overrated.

on 12/19/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Amazing. My signature scent. It's pricey, but worth it considering how well it stays on me. I could even smell it still after a shower (no joke). That's how I knew this baby was a keeper. It's a very warm, sensual and sweet scent. It's totally up my alley.

Will repurchase.

on 11/24/2016 1:04:00 AM

Omg I love this scent it stays put all day smells crisp and clean with a touch of floral and a bit woodsy hard to explain just oh soooo good ... mmmmmm my man loves it

on 9/24/2016 11:44:00 AM

It's a nice enough fragrance that I can't seem to get behind :(

I've tested it again and again since it first came out. I don't get much coffee-- on me initial blast is actually quite soapy-- maybe im getting the whiff of patch first?

Then it quickly becomes a burnt sugared vanilla. This take may actually be a skin chemistry thing bc dior vanilla compilations sadly smell similar on me-- not a deep vanilla but a burnt sugar vanilla (think bath and body works warm vanilla sugar....).

And that's as far as the perfume goes on me. Just a burnt sugar vanilla with lots of patch kicking in the background.

It just seems to resonate "hey im a heavy hitter"-- but then declares little else.

Fwiw one I sprayed this on a friend I didn't care for the smell of it on her either.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Black Opium is an edgy, smoky bad girl with a touch of sweetness. Most prominent notes are coffee, jasmine sambac, almond, and vanilla. It's sexy and comforting at the same time. If a fragrance were a place, this would be a coffee shop that served drinks and played jazz at night. Men love it. Similar qualities with Trouble by Boucheron and the cult classic BY by Dolce & Gabanna.

on 5/24/2016 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This perfume is absolutely addictive and honestly, I feel that it is appropriate for all genders (well, any gender can wear any perfume, but you get my point). Its darker notes keep it from becoming a chemically one note department store fragrance, the kind that wild eyed women spray on you as you sprint through your local Nordstrom's in the vain hope you'll make it out unscathed.

On me, the patchouli and the coffee meld in to a beautiful, abiding warmth, a dark, sweet musk that hangs around me in a delicate cloud. There's something so intimate about the smell, something that brings to mind a speakeasy or a plush bedroom artfully undone after a night of passion. There's also a subtle edible quality, edging towards vanilla, or maybe a frangipane petit four.

I can't say enough good things about this scent. I will also add that I recommend the roller ball. Something about being able to press it directly in to skin makes it much better. When I had it spritzed on me at my Sephora, I didn't like it as much.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I haven't even been interested in trying this because I loathe the original Opium. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about since Black Opium doesn't seem to even be a distant cousin of the original. I love so many things about Black Opium - its creamy vanilla warmth, its sultry-but-sweet spice -- that base note of musk that doesn't overpower. I do wish they had a lighter flanker for summer because it feels too rich and heavy for hot weather but for now I just layer it with one of my lighter fragrances that mixes well with it. I adore this and will never be without it!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a tester that was enough for me to try it about 5 times. Well, it is sexy and fun. BUT. It disappears very quickly and the very last note that lingers around feels totally fake and synthetic (this was the deal breaker for me). It is exactly the note you can smell in a Warm vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, which is about 10 times cheaper, if not more. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to smell like half of women out there. Going back to Chanel Mademoiselle EDT (not EDP)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this at Sephora. I adore this scent. On me it doesn't put off as too sweet. It's a good combination of sweet and warm. I've tried flower bomb and it is similar but with my body chemistry YSL just smells better. Love it. I recommend getting a sample and try it.

Popular Fragrances