Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.5

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this perfume for Christmas 2016 because I love Edie Campbell in the advert! I'm so glad I got this because it smells Amazing!! The smell lasts such a long time too! Probably longer than any of my other perfumes. It is the EDP though and not the EDT, so it is more concentrated. It's not the cheapest fragrance so I save it for very special occasions and nights out

on 10/30/2017 6:21:00 PM

The top notes are great, but after wearing it for awhile I noticed the undertone of something I found unpleasant.

on 10/12/2016 5:24:00 PM

This stuff smells so yummy. It's a dark sexy intoxicating smell. I get headaches from a lot of perfumes but not this one. My husband can't help but walk up and take a deep whiff whenever I wear this. It makes me feel like a goddess!

on 8/14/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a sweet, almost creamy fragrance and it's for people who prefer gourmands to florals. There aren't many feminine scents out there with a coffee note - generally that seems to be reserved for the boys. Whenever I found fragrances featuring coffee, they were usually too butch for me. Even my beloved Bond No. 9 New Haarlem had a lavender note that reminded me of aftershave. So I was excited when Yves Saint Laurent launched Black Opium in 2014.

It's not as complex as New Haarlem, but Black Opium is a cozy scent that reminds me of a breakfast in a French cafe with a dear friend before we go out sightseeing. It's definitely a vanilla latte sort of aroma and in my mind a good choice for autumn. It is a suitable companion for my tweed blazer with suede elbow patches. Longevity is better than that of my Jo Malones; I can always smell the eau de parfum on my clothes the next day.

There are top notes of pink pepper and orange blossom. The heart is a blend of jasmine and coffee. Base notes are vanilla, patchouli, and cedarwood. Keep in mind that it is for people who like sweet scents.

I started off with a travel spray I bought at Sephora for $27 and took it with me on several trips. I've received compliments when wearing Black Opium and no complaints so far. It's not overpowering or migraine-inducing to those around me. After living with it for a while and getting down to the last few drops of my travel size, I bought a full bottle.

This was voted Best Fragrance by Allure Magazine for 2015. How would I describe it ? If you mixed together Jessica Simpson's "Fancy" and a touch of Thierry Mugler "Angel," I think you would end up with this scent. It's a gourmand with a bit of grit - not cloyingly sweet, thanks to the addition of a coffee note. Others have compared this to Lancome's "La Vie Est Belle" but that scent lacks the sweet component you get with "Black Opium." I am wearing this on one of the hottest days of the summer, but I think this would be a perfect scent for a cool, fall day. When I wear "Angel," I always worry about offending others given its potency but that's not a concern with this scent. It morphs into a sweet, subtle yet noticeable aura. Sadly, it's lacking it terms of longevity - a few hours at best. That is what kept me from giving this a 5-star rating. For the $, I expected more in terms of wear. If you are prepared to reapply, this one is certainly worth checking out for fall.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is soooo addictive it must contain crack cocaine , the coffee nite stands out fir me first then I get flowers and vanilla in dry down. It's not the most amazing lasting power it wears away fairly quickly I just spray more coz I love it , howeve I bought mine half used on ebay so I'm less bothered as it was a good price if you paid full in shops it may piss u off a bit.
The bottle keeps getting picked up so I know it's a keeper.

on 7/29/2016 6:44:00 PM

YSL Black Opium is sticky sweet on my skin. I was hoping for a little of the coffee scent that most are smelling. Instead I'm getting a candied fruit bomb with some vanilla thrown in. Also, no traceable patchouli. I think that Lolita Lempicka might be a close cousin.

on 6/11/2016 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I took a chance on the body oil and I am smitten! Love it and even put it on before bed! warm and sweet spicy. But not too much.

on 4/2/2016 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Not so nice

on 4/1/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to preface my first perfume review with this: I'm not a perfume expert. I don't profess to be knowledgeable on perfumes as I am about skincare/makeup. At best, I'm just someone who likes to have fun with beauty-related things and doesn't have intense knowledge of the subject, but this is the first perfume to really captivate my interest on the regular.

According to the Sephora website, YSL Black Opium is listed as having the following as notes: "Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense." Now, to my limited understanding, certain notes hit everyone different because of the makeup of chemicals in your skin. Some people might have stronger patchouli notes, others coffee, etc. On me, the orange blossom is particularly strong at first before going into a mix of the cedarwood and an almost vanilla smell, which is a good thing as I'm not particularly fond of patchouli. I do not get any of the coffee notes.

The longevity of this is so-so for me. It lasts for a good 15-20 minutes before only lightly remaining, though, even if it's barely there, I can still smell it on me if I hold my wrist up to my nose about 7 hours later. When I initially spray it, I do find myself getting a lot of compliments on it.

While this is my favorite perfume I own, I don't wear it every day. For me, it's something I wear for if I need to get ramped up for something professional (presentation, big bosses are visiting, etc.) or romantic (date night, etc.) I am just about finished with the travel spray version, but have already purchased the 1 oz. version.

Popular Fragrances