Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.9

on 4/3/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really enjoy wearing Black Opium. It smells delicious, yet slightly mysterious. This is perfect for fans of Hypnotic Poison and La Vie Est Belle (ME). It doesn't smell like either of them, but, as a fragrance it embodies the same idea of elegant sweetness. It reminds me of chocolate, and coffee, and orange blossoms...some of my very favorite things in life! For some reason this perfume generates a lot of negativity among fragrance reviewers. Personally, I don't care that it's not a "masterpiece", because I couldn't afford it if it was. And I don't mind that it doesn't smell like the original Opium. In my experience, the original Opium repels those around me more effectively than Roach Killer. My husband, kids, friends, and random strangers all compliment Black Opium, year-round. I guess it just works with my chemistry. I recently purchased Black Opium Floral Shock and I'm loving it, as well, especially as the weather heats up.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I LOVE this perfume! If you love vanilla and warm undertones, then this is your HG. The staying power is excellent, especially when layered after lotion or light body oil. I get lots of compliments on how good I smell when wearing Black Opium. If you love Organza Indecence by Givenchy, then you'll enjoy Black Opium.👍🏼😊

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I haven't even been interested in trying this because I loathe the original Opium. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about since Black Opium doesn't seem to even be a distant cousin of the original. I love so many things about Black Opium - its creamy vanilla warmth, its sultry-but-sweet spice -- that base note of musk that doesn't overpower. I do wish they had a lighter flanker for summer because it feels too rich and heavy for hot weather but for now I just layer it with one of my lighter fragrances that mixes well with it. I adore this and will never be without it!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the bottle, I love the scent, I love absolutely everything about this fragrance!!!
If I ever ran out of this perfume, I would definitely repurchase. I don't understand the bad reviews for Black Opium, but maybe it's just proof that perfume is subjective. This is why, if you ever think about buying this fragrance, I recommend you smell it and test it beforehand.
Overall, my signature scent!

on 12/22/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am really surprised to see such low ratings for this new perfume. But hey, that totally goes to show scents are subjective, right?

I couldn't stand the original Opium scent from back in the day (ok maybe they still sell it, I dunno LOL). But when this came out got a sample of it and was blown away. I ended up loving it so much ordered a bottle the very next day...This is a very sexy scent. Per the description there are coffee and vanilla notes, as well as a few different woodsy layers. I don't get the coffee or too any heavy woodsy notes (such as sandalwood and patchouli), which to be quite honest I am very happy about as I find them too masculine. Also the vanilla is quite tame and definitely not overpowering either. What I do get is a mixture of both spicy and sweet which I can't quite put my finger on, but LOVE.

on 10/12/2015 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This is far too floral on me. I don't get any of the coffee or vanilla that some people mention, though I do get a little patchouli. Mostly it is just very sweet floral. It's very "perfumey" and pretty synthetic. Everyone's body chemistry is different, though, so it may be worth trying for someone else. This had incredibly staying power, so if it does smell nice on you it could be a real winner. Alas, it was not for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

As a periodic fan of YSL's original Opium (I have gone through several phases of enjoying the scent in my 48 years), I was eager to try the new release Black Opium. I saw this in France at Sephora six weeks ago but forgot to test as I was overwhelmed by all of the new scent releases. Fast forward to yesterday. A large tester bottle was sitting at my local drugstore. I was attracted to the gorgeous bottle and had visions of a dark, mysterious, sensual fragrance inside. I pulled up my sleeve and doused my arm without regard for the safety or well being of those around me. Immediately, I was choked by a cloud of chocolate. Not dark, rich, decadent chocolate...no, more the sickly sweet Snickers bar variety. "Ok", I thought..."this version starts off sweet. Soon the sexy, spicy scent of cinnamon will come in to wrestle this baby off the playground and into the bedroom!" Yeah, about that...I'm still waiting. It took approximately 3 minutes for Black Opium to frolic into a sugar fairyland version of Lancome's "La Vie est Belle"! I have never been as negatively surprised by a new fragrance launch as this. Where is the Opium? Heck, where is the Black? Seriously! Absolutely NOTHING about this dissapointingly linear fragrance is new, innovative or sensual. VANILLA, VANILLA...and more, VANILLA! This is rainbows and unicorns. Candyland and those Cos-Play pink festooned anim characters come to mind. Guess what? It lasts a REALLY long time too! My jacket will have to be dry cleaned as I don't care to smell like my daughter's 9th grade home room. I didn't wash my arm for a few hours. Convinced somehow, that there would be a deepening...a change...SOME development. Let's just say, I'm glad I didn't hold my breath! Sorry, YSL. This is bad. A travesty really. YSL has become a department store brand catering to the masses. Difficult to accept that such a great house actually allowed this to be released...especially as a flanker of one of THE most iconic fragrances in recorded history. I'm glad we have many, many better scents from which to choose. Big pass on this one!

Popular Fragrances