Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.7

All time favourite scent - not as dainty as typical florals.Smells sweet but not in a sickly way. Lasts on the skin a long time and is not too overpowering.
The only drawback is the price tag.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love the sultry scent combination and incredible lasting power of this fragrance! This one combines coffee, jasmine, vanilla, and a host of other yummy notes. I sprayed it on in the early evening and woke up smelling my perfume as though it had just been applied. Everyone who has smelled this on me thinks it's a fantastic fragrance, and I get compliments all the time. It's strong and heavy, but it's another one knocked out of the park by YSL, IMO.

on 12/19/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Amazing. My signature scent. It's pricey, but worth it considering how well it stays on me. I could even smell it still after a shower (no joke). That's how I knew this baby was a keeper. It's a very warm, sensual and sweet scent. It's totally up my alley.

Will repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love any different or sensual deep perfumes so this was an instant intrest for me. People have been saying it's got very strong levels of black coffee in it... - i myself wouldn't say really strong, but on the plus side, a soft, lingering coffee scent that isn't nearly as strong as is sounds in all the advertising and so forth. The scent is actually very sweet, but with the coffee base notes it makes it classy and more wearable that your typical teens rocker perfume. I love that it contains all three of my favourite 'parfum scents' together in one, jasmine, vanilla, and patchouli... But it also contains that mild coffee smell as well! Love it! I'm not so sure about the bottle, in a way i like it, rocker girl edge style... but it could have been made into a better style bottle for such a pretty perfume i think. Still, it's not bad, and beautiful smell. One for the ages ysl!

on 6/11/2016 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I took a chance on the body oil and I am smitten! Love it and even put it on before bed! warm and sweet spicy. But not too much.

on 4/1/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to preface my first perfume review with this: I'm not a perfume expert. I don't profess to be knowledgeable on perfumes as I am about skincare/makeup. At best, I'm just someone who likes to have fun with beauty-related things and doesn't have intense knowledge of the subject, but this is the first perfume to really captivate my interest on the regular.

According to the Sephora website, YSL Black Opium is listed as having the following as notes: "Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense." Now, to my limited understanding, certain notes hit everyone different because of the makeup of chemicals in your skin. Some people might have stronger patchouli notes, others coffee, etc. On me, the orange blossom is particularly strong at first before going into a mix of the cedarwood and an almost vanilla smell, which is a good thing as I'm not particularly fond of patchouli. I do not get any of the coffee notes.

The longevity of this is so-so for me. It lasts for a good 15-20 minutes before only lightly remaining, though, even if it's barely there, I can still smell it on me if I hold my wrist up to my nose about 7 hours later. When I initially spray it, I do find myself getting a lot of compliments on it.

While this is my favorite perfume I own, I don't wear it every day. For me, it's something I wear for if I need to get ramped up for something professional (presentation, big bosses are visiting, etc.) or romantic (date night, etc.) I am just about finished with the travel spray version, but have already purchased the 1 oz. version.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I need to be fair and state that this is not related to the original Opium in the least, however that does not mean this isn't pleasant. I own both the original Opium and Opium Black and can find merit in both. To me this reads like a very sweet orange blossom and jasmine fragrance layered over vanilla, a dash of coffee and wood. The scent is similar in some aspects to the orange blossom in Armani Code and is gourmand in nature like Angel. If you love orange blossom and sweet vanilla fragrances you will likely love this: however if you are looking for an incense laden, noir, spice bomb look elsewhere!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this at Sephora. I adore this scent. On me it doesn't put off as too sweet. It's a good combination of sweet and warm. I've tried flower bomb and it is similar but with my body chemistry YSL just smells better. Love it. I recommend getting a sample and try it.

on 2/20/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This has become my "school fragrance", a perfume I wear when I go to school, because it stays close to the skin. It has somehow grew on me, I like the sweet scent, the vanilla, patchouli and cedar, topped with jasmine are really a nice blend and the pear and orange blossom give it a little "lift". It's not a unique scent, but very likeable, warm, sweet and feminine and goes well with my body chemistry. However, I can't seem to smell the coffee in this one, even though it's stated that it's one of the dominating scents in this fragrance. It is not my signature fragrance, which is Serge Lutens "un bois vanille", but it's good to switch now and then. So it's 4 lippies from me =)

UPDATE: I developed a horrid allergic reaction from this perfume. After several months of usage I suddenly end up with a red itchy rash on my neck and wrists (exactly where I put it), so I had to return it. It took me a month until the rash was gone (despite using medicated prescpripted cream).

on 11/16/2015 2:27:00 PM

I have three categories of perfumes that I use:

1) Works of art that are (usually) pricey and have been acquired after a long labor-of-love search factoring in artistry, compatability with body chamistry, and the kind of scent you feel embodies YOU (ex. Diptyque Tam Dao is this for me).

2) Simple, easy scents that smell delicious to me: musk oils, Jovan White Musk, random farmer's market roll-ons - that kind of thing.

3) The category Black Opium belongs to.

It's like...hard to describe though. I'll wear this on a night out and people flock to me, telling me how good I smell. And it DOES smell good. Like a Studio 54 heyday disco queen. I'm cool with that vibe. And I like being told I smell good, yet at the same time I just can't muster up the same affection for Black Opium that I have for my most beloved perfumes. There's something about it that doesn't play well with my tastes and senses.

I'll still wear it until I tire of it, though. I'll take that decadent atmosphere, those compliments and neck-sniffs ;)

Popular Fragrances