Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.7

on 2/12/2018 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this, the coffee is indeed noticeable. It's quite strong and long lasting. To me it smells provocative, very sexy and perfect for clubbing. For some reason I mentally associate it with wearing a black leather short dress at night. So as I said, a bit on the provocative side. Took one star off because it's not very unique, but it's still a very good perfume.

on 1/1/2018 1:10:00 AM

Blind buy cuz I read the notes and I wanted to smell like coffee.. lol. It smells really good, like Alien layered w/a vanilla perfume. I got a purse spray and wish I had gotten the full size bottle. I don’t smell like a Frappuccino but it’s alright lol. It doesn’t trigger my migraines so I’m happy

All time favourite scent - not as dainty as typical florals.Smells sweet but not in a sickly way. Lasts on the skin a long time and is not too overpowering.
The only drawback is the price tag.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love the sultry scent combination and incredible lasting power of this fragrance! This one combines coffee, jasmine, vanilla, and a host of other yummy notes. I sprayed it on in the early evening and woke up smelling my perfume as though it had just been applied. Everyone who has smelled this on me thinks it's a fantastic fragrance, and I get compliments all the time. It's strong and heavy, but it's another one knocked out of the park by YSL, IMO.

on 12/19/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Amazing. My signature scent. It's pricey, but worth it considering how well it stays on me. I could even smell it still after a shower (no joke). That's how I knew this baby was a keeper. It's a very warm, sensual and sweet scent. It's totally up my alley.

Will repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love any different or sensual deep perfumes so this was an instant intrest for me. People have been saying it's got very strong levels of black coffee in it... - i myself wouldn't say really strong, but on the plus side, a soft, lingering coffee scent that isn't nearly as strong as is sounds in all the advertising and so forth. The scent is actually very sweet, but with the coffee base notes it makes it classy and more wearable that your typical teens rocker perfume. I love that it contains all three of my favourite 'parfum scents' together in one, jasmine, vanilla, and patchouli... But it also contains that mild coffee smell as well! Love it! I'm not so sure about the bottle, in a way i like it, rocker girl edge style... but it could have been made into a better style bottle for such a pretty perfume i think. Still, it's not bad, and beautiful smell. One for the ages ysl!

on 6/11/2016 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I took a chance on the body oil and I am smitten! Love it and even put it on before bed! warm and sweet spicy. But not too much.

on 4/1/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to preface my first perfume review with this: I'm not a perfume expert. I don't profess to be knowledgeable on perfumes as I am about skincare/makeup. At best, I'm just someone who likes to have fun with beauty-related things and doesn't have intense knowledge of the subject, but this is the first perfume to really captivate my interest on the regular.

According to the Sephora website, YSL Black Opium is listed as having the following as notes: "Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense." Now, to my limited understanding, certain notes hit everyone different because of the makeup of chemicals in your skin. Some people might have stronger patchouli notes, others coffee, etc. On me, the orange blossom is particularly strong at first before going into a mix of the cedarwood and an almost vanilla smell, which is a good thing as I'm not particularly fond of patchouli. I do not get any of the coffee notes.

The longevity of this is so-so for me. It lasts for a good 15-20 minutes before only lightly remaining, though, even if it's barely there, I can still smell it on me if I hold my wrist up to my nose about 7 hours later. When I initially spray it, I do find myself getting a lot of compliments on it.

While this is my favorite perfume I own, I don't wear it every day. For me, it's something I wear for if I need to get ramped up for something professional (presentation, big bosses are visiting, etc.) or romantic (date night, etc.) I am just about finished with the travel spray version, but have already purchased the 1 oz. version.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I need to be fair and state that this is not related to the original Opium in the least, however that does not mean this isn't pleasant. I own both the original Opium and Opium Black and can find merit in both. To me this reads like a very sweet orange blossom and jasmine fragrance layered over vanilla, a dash of coffee and wood. The scent is similar in some aspects to the orange blossom in Armani Code and is gourmand in nature like Angel. If you love orange blossom and sweet vanilla fragrances you will likely love this: however if you are looking for an incense laden, noir, spice bomb look elsewhere!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this at Sephora. I adore this scent. On me it doesn't put off as too sweet. It's a good combination of sweet and warm. I've tried flower bomb and it is similar but with my body chemistry YSL just smells better. Love it. I recommend getting a sample and try it.

Popular Fragrances