Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.2

on 12/17/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Lovely perfume. Rock chic with a very subtile touch of sweet. Really my style.

on 8/14/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a sweet, almost creamy fragrance and it's for people who prefer gourmands to florals. There aren't many feminine scents out there with a coffee note - generally that seems to be reserved for the boys. Whenever I found fragrances featuring coffee, they were usually too butch for me. Even my beloved Bond No. 9 New Haarlem had a lavender note that reminded me of aftershave. So I was excited when Yves Saint Laurent launched Black Opium in 2014.

It's not as complex as New Haarlem, but Black Opium is a cozy scent that reminds me of a breakfast in a French cafe with a dear friend before we go out sightseeing. It's definitely a vanilla latte sort of aroma and in my mind a good choice for autumn. It is a suitable companion for my tweed blazer with suede elbow patches. Longevity is better than that of my Jo Malones; I can always smell the eau de parfum on my clothes the next day.

There are top notes of pink pepper and orange blossom. The heart is a blend of jasmine and coffee. Base notes are vanilla, patchouli, and cedarwood. Keep in mind that it is for people who like sweet scents.

I started off with a travel spray I bought at Sephora for $27 and took it with me on several trips. I've received compliments when wearing Black Opium and no complaints so far. It's not overpowering or migraine-inducing to those around me. After living with it for a while and getting down to the last few drops of my travel size, I bought a full bottle.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I haven't even been interested in trying this because I loathe the original Opium. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about since Black Opium doesn't seem to even be a distant cousin of the original. I love so many things about Black Opium - its creamy vanilla warmth, its sultry-but-sweet spice -- that base note of musk that doesn't overpower. I do wish they had a lighter flanker for summer because it feels too rich and heavy for hot weather but for now I just layer it with one of my lighter fragrances that mixes well with it. I adore this and will never be without it!

on 2/20/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This has become my "school fragrance", a perfume I wear when I go to school, because it stays close to the skin. It has somehow grew on me, I like the sweet scent, the vanilla, patchouli and cedar, topped with jasmine are really a nice blend and the pear and orange blossom give it a little "lift". It's not a unique scent, but very likeable, warm, sweet and feminine and goes well with my body chemistry. However, I can't seem to smell the coffee in this one, even though it's stated that it's one of the dominating scents in this fragrance. It is not my signature fragrance, which is Serge Lutens "un bois vanille", but it's good to switch now and then. So it's 4 lippies from me =)

UPDATE: I developed a horrid allergic reaction from this perfume. After several months of usage I suddenly end up with a red itchy rash on my neck and wrists (exactly where I put it), so I had to return it. It took me a month until the rash was gone (despite using medicated prescpripted cream).

on 9/14/2015 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

If you are of a certain age and remember the first launch of Opium decades ago you will know Yves Saint Laurent is spinning in his grave at the thought of this. I'm not implying this is horrid, it isn't. This scent is so far removed from the original vision intended that it is insulting to the masterful original.
A scent for the non jaded who believe they are sophisticated. Perhaps in a few decades they will be. Then they will understand.

Popular Fragrances