Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.9

on 5/2/2017 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I was really disappointed with this fragrance. I love spicy and woodsy scents and I'm a big fan of Christian Dior Addict and Calvin Klein Euphoria. Both which I've gotten compliments on as they are really great long lasting fragrances. This one disappeared as soon as I applied it. No matter when or how I applied it lasted only long enough for one whiff. (two lippies off) Smells great but I wouldn't buy this again. Also the bottle made it tricky to spray and it kind of leaked. Not what I want to happen when I purchase a $90 bottle.

on 4/3/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really enjoy wearing Black Opium. It smells delicious, yet slightly mysterious. This is perfect for fans of Hypnotic Poison and La Vie Est Belle (ME). It doesn't smell like either of them, but, as a fragrance it embodies the same idea of elegant sweetness. It reminds me of chocolate, and coffee, and orange blossoms...some of my very favorite things in life! For some reason this perfume generates a lot of negativity among fragrance reviewers. Personally, I don't care that it's not a "masterpiece", because I couldn't afford it if it was. And I don't mind that it doesn't smell like the original Opium. In my experience, the original Opium repels those around me more effectively than Roach Killer. My husband, kids, friends, and random strangers all compliment Black Opium, year-round. I guess it just works with my chemistry. I recently purchased Black Opium Floral Shock and I'm loving it, as well, especially as the weather heats up.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love the sultry scent combination and incredible lasting power of this fragrance! This one combines coffee, jasmine, vanilla, and a host of other yummy notes. I sprayed it on in the early evening and woke up smelling my perfume as though it had just been applied. Everyone who has smelled this on me thinks it's a fantastic fragrance, and I get compliments all the time. It's strong and heavy, but it's another one knocked out of the park by YSL, IMO.

on 12/13/2016 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Amazing, long lasting fragrance. It might be too sweet for somebody but I love it. I have received it as a gift and already ran out, I will definitely buy it again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love any different or sensual deep perfumes so this was an instant intrest for me. People have been saying it's got very strong levels of black coffee in it... - i myself wouldn't say really strong, but on the plus side, a soft, lingering coffee scent that isn't nearly as strong as is sounds in all the advertising and so forth. The scent is actually very sweet, but with the coffee base notes it makes it classy and more wearable that your typical teens rocker perfume. I love that it contains all three of my favourite 'parfum scents' together in one, jasmine, vanilla, and patchouli... But it also contains that mild coffee smell as well! Love it! I'm not so sure about the bottle, in a way i like it, rocker girl edge style... but it could have been made into a better style bottle for such a pretty perfume i think. Still, it's not bad, and beautiful smell. One for the ages ysl!

on 5/24/2016 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This perfume is absolutely addictive and honestly, I feel that it is appropriate for all genders (well, any gender can wear any perfume, but you get my point). Its darker notes keep it from becoming a chemically one note department store fragrance, the kind that wild eyed women spray on you as you sprint through your local Nordstrom's in the vain hope you'll make it out unscathed.

On me, the patchouli and the coffee meld in to a beautiful, abiding warmth, a dark, sweet musk that hangs around me in a delicate cloud. There's something so intimate about the smell, something that brings to mind a speakeasy or a plush bedroom artfully undone after a night of passion. There's also a subtle edible quality, edging towards vanilla, or maybe a frangipane petit four.

I can't say enough good things about this scent. I will also add that I recommend the roller ball. Something about being able to press it directly in to skin makes it much better. When I had it spritzed on me at my Sephora, I didn't like it as much.

on 1/17/2016 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is slowly becoming my signature scent, and I absolutely love it (despite the price...)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

the bottle is pretty, sparkly and classy. the scent is an exact replica of loverdose (the purple bottle). im disappointed as its not a new fragrance and not nearly as classy as the original opium; this is a far younger scent and again, smells exactly like Loverdose.

on 11/20/2015 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely love this perfume, so much that I wore it on my wedding day. So unique and lasts all day and worth the money.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was surprised at some of the negative reviews of this, although I am not comparing it to the original Opium (which was too heavy for me, if I remember correctly). On its own, this is a lighter fragrance, but still with some depth. I didn't really smell the coffee that was mentioned, but I got white florals and vanilla. While I was wearing it, I found it myself constantly bringing my wrist to my nose to smell it again, which is a good sign. The fragrance turned a little powdery after a while, but not bad. It probably won't be an all-time favorite, but I liked it much more than I expected.

Popular Fragrances