Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.5

All time favourite scent - not as dainty as typical florals.Smells sweet but not in a sickly way. Lasts on the skin a long time and is not too overpowering.
The only drawback is the price tag.

Smells like Britney Spears In Control. It's fine. Kind of a sweet floriental. It does not smell like the original Opium. I don't smell coffee, or pastries or a snowy afternoon in a cafe or anything. I do smell syrupy, burnt caramel, gloppy nude lip gloss, extra mascara, bad dance moves, big earrings, last call and throbbing hangovers (must be my personal connection with In Control, lol). The black glittery bottle is SO tacky, but it fits the fragrance. This is party girl juice. The scent has good lasting power. Bought it for the memories and the present coziness. Will be a good fall scent, but I don't foresee a long term relationship with this lady. We shall see. I tend towards the garish. Overall I think I like it.

on 12/19/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Amazing. My signature scent. It's pricey, but worth it considering how well it stays on me. I could even smell it still after a shower (no joke). That's how I knew this baby was a keeper. It's a very warm, sensual and sweet scent. It's totally up my alley.

Will repurchase.

on 11/24/2016 1:04:00 AM

Omg I love this scent it stays put all day smells crisp and clean with a touch of floral and a bit woodsy hard to explain just oh soooo good ... mmmmmm my man loves it

on 9/29/2016 3:03:00 PM

I'm in love with this fragrance. It is sweet but I have always loved sweet scents. I can't wear most fragrances without my eyes watering and getting a headache but this is an exception. I had a delivery man come in my office right after I sprayed this and he took a picture so he could get it for his wife. He said it was the best thing he ever smelled!

on 8/21/2016 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This is a very very sweet scent. A tad too much. Feels a bit like celebrity perfumes, a bit cheap in my opinion. Like too much vanilla. The tester was better for some reason. Would not buy again as i does not feel chic or sophisticated or special.

This was voted Best Fragrance by Allure Magazine for 2015. How would I describe it ? If you mixed together Jessica Simpson's "Fancy" and a touch of Thierry Mugler "Angel," I think you would end up with this scent. It's a gourmand with a bit of grit - not cloyingly sweet, thanks to the addition of a coffee note. Others have compared this to Lancome's "La Vie Est Belle" but that scent lacks the sweet component you get with "Black Opium." I am wearing this on one of the hottest days of the summer, but I think this would be a perfect scent for a cool, fall day. When I wear "Angel," I always worry about offending others given its potency but that's not a concern with this scent. It morphs into a sweet, subtle yet noticeable aura. Sadly, it's lacking it terms of longevity - a few hours at best. That is what kept me from giving this a 5-star rating. For the $, I expected more in terms of wear. If you are prepared to reapply, this one is certainly worth checking out for fall.

on 6/11/2016 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I took a chance on the body oil and I am smitten! Love it and even put it on before bed! warm and sweet spicy. But not too much.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is sweet yet warm. I feel like this is good for Fall and early Winter. Or evening if worn in the Summer. I think this is one of those perfumes that you might want to be careful wearing around those with sensitive noses or allergies, as it has some notes that seem would trigger allergies or reactions. I would not wear this to work or to school. Date nites or weddings or that sort of thing...

I like this scent. While there are dozens if not hundreds of perfumes out now with the sweet smell, this one is different. I do not detect patchouli in this but those who do not like patchouli may pick up on it. I just detect a sweet slightly fruity yet warm smell about this. Almost like if you want to smell like a warm fruit pie right out of the oven..?

This is though one of those perfumes that I have better luck 'walking into the fragrance' : ie: I spritz it and 'walk into' the mist. I feel like this is one of those perfumes that if I spray it directly to my wrists or pulse points, it blends badly with my body chemistry.

I will say I think this is a bit over-rated and over-priced..This wears off on me within a couple of hours, and the dry down gets very sweet, almost sickeningly sweet for me..So I would not wear this somewhere that I will have it on all day (again, not to work or to school).

All in all not holy grail for me, and I would not shout out about it, but I may re-purchase it somewhere, some day. Nothing special, but happy to have it in my collection and I can see me definitely using up the entire bottle.

So, I like it but not be all end all like some make it out to be. But fragrance is so subjective, what is holy grail for me I am sure would not be for others. So that is why I stuck with the performance, lasting power and dry-down scent of this as opposed to the overall scent itself. ;)

UPDATE: This review was written based on the many samples I had received of this. I now have the full bottle and I agree with the other reviewers, this is very heavy on the vanilla note (seriously smells like a vanilla spray or candle) and/or this smells like one of the many cheap celebrity fragrances that you can get for a fraction of the price of this. I also agree with the other reviewers that say that this smells like a young girl's scent. As a woman of 45 years old this just does not appeal to me. And there is supposed to be a coffee note in there. I am a coffee freak so I would pick up on a coffee note and I pick up no coffee note. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. But I bought this at Ulta, so it should have been fine!! :( If you like very sweet, very vanilla scents, this might be something you would enjoy. To me it is nothing special. Overpriced imho (which I did say in my initial review). I dropped my initial rating of this from 3 lippies to 2 lippies. Very average scent that is overpriced, and if you are looking at the notes described online for this, you might be disappointed.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I need to be fair and state that this is not related to the original Opium in the least, however that does not mean this isn't pleasant. I own both the original Opium and Opium Black and can find merit in both. To me this reads like a very sweet orange blossom and jasmine fragrance layered over vanilla, a dash of coffee and wood. The scent is similar in some aspects to the orange blossom in Armani Code and is gourmand in nature like Angel. If you love orange blossom and sweet vanilla fragrances you will likely love this: however if you are looking for an incense laden, noir, spice bomb look elsewhere!

Popular Fragrances