Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.1

on 2/12/2018 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this, the coffee is indeed noticeable. It's quite strong and long lasting. To me it smells provocative, very sexy and perfect for clubbing. For some reason I mentally associate it with wearing a black leather short dress at night. So as I said, a bit on the provocative side. Took one star off because it's not very unique, but it's still a very good perfume.

on 12/31/2017 12:52:00 AM

A fairly generic fruity floral. Nothing special about this one at all. As others have said, this one reminds me of several mediocre celebrity perfumes.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this perfume for Christmas 2016 because I love Edie Campbell in the advert! I'm so glad I got this because it smells Amazing!! The smell lasts such a long time too! Probably longer than any of my other perfumes. It is the EDP though and not the EDT, so it is more concentrated. It's not the cheapest fragrance so I save it for very special occasions and nights out

on 10/30/2017 6:21:00 PM

The top notes are great, but after wearing it for awhile I noticed the undertone of something I found unpleasant.

We went shopping for a TV. And my husband was really taken by the sales girls scent. I couldn't smell it. In the end I asked her what perfume she was wearing ? "Nothing today, I did put Black opium on yesterday when wearing this jacket" of course I bought it, and oh my it's gorgeous, tad sweet at first but after it settled slightly musky. My go to now. I will repurchase it lasts too, I'd do the usual on my wrists but never my neck. Squirt into my hair. Even my son asked what it was. Of course the hug. And my hair perfect

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Black Opium is an edgy, smoky bad girl with a touch of sweetness. Most prominent notes are coffee, jasmine sambac, almond, and vanilla. It's sexy and comforting at the same time. If a fragrance were a place, this would be a coffee shop that served drinks and played jazz at night. Men love it. Similar qualities with Trouble by Boucheron and the cult classic BY by Dolce & Gabanna.

on 7/29/2016 6:44:00 PM

YSL Black Opium is sticky sweet on my skin. I was hoping for a little of the coffee scent that most are smelling. Instead I'm getting a candied fruit bomb with some vanilla thrown in. Also, no traceable patchouli. I think that Lolita Lempicka might be a close cousin.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this at Sephora. I adore this scent. On me it doesn't put off as too sweet. It's a good combination of sweet and warm. I've tried flower bomb and it is similar but with my body chemistry YSL just smells better. Love it. I recommend getting a sample and try it.

on 12/7/2015 4:42:00 PM

It is ok, but don't last.

on 11/25/2015 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I honestly don't like this perfume very much. I was given it as a present, I thought it would be like the original opium but it was far from it.

It smells very smokey sweet and dark. It is very strong and the reason I did not like it, was because it was pungent. If you have ever smelt DKNY Delicious Night mixed with Victoria Secret's Vanilla Lace, that is how I would describe it. In my opinion not a good mix.

I have to really be in a mood to be able to wear this. If I am honest, I almost hate it, I only wear it because I know SOME guys like it, I have been given some compliments but usually much more wearing a lighter feminine fragrance - Daisy Dream. Really not impressed for a YSL perfume.

Although it doesn't smell great, I did give it 3 stars for the fact it is very unique. I've never smelt anything like it. When I take a whiff I initially get a quite strong spicy note of aniseed mixed with coffee/tobacco and a strong vanilla undertone to the spice. I do smell a hint of floral, but more a sort of dark floral note very heavy too. Maybe Jasmine, but not your fresh sweet scent of Jasmine, more a heavy smoky smelling floral scent. It's also a little peppery, I can detect a little frankincense. In addition there is a touch of a cologne smell to it.

The main reason I dislike this perfume is because when I used to smoke, I would use pungent sickly perfumes to hide the cigarette stench from my parents, or at least to distract them from the smell of smoke. This is exactly what it smelt like to me. Too much, over the top, pungent and most of all not the best combination of notes. I would think floral notes would suit an overly spicy scent more, rather than an overly sweet one. In my opinion the two notes majorly repel each other which is the biggest let down for me.

In terms of price, this was very expensive and I don't think it is worth the price. It was more expensive than YSL Cinema, which was a perfume I really liked. I also liked roses by YSL. Both fantastic perfumes were much cheaper. I felt a little disappointed by this one.

Popular Fragrances