Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.4

on 10/30/2017 6:21:00 PM

The top notes are great, but after wearing it for awhile I noticed the undertone of something I found unpleasant.

Smells like Britney Spears In Control. It's fine. Kind of a sweet floriental. It does not smell like the original Opium. I don't smell coffee, or pastries or a snowy afternoon in a cafe or anything. I do smell syrupy, burnt caramel, gloppy nude lip gloss, extra mascara, bad dance moves, big earrings, last call and throbbing hangovers (must be my personal connection with In Control, lol). The black glittery bottle is SO tacky, but it fits the fragrance. This is party girl juice. The scent has good lasting power. Bought it for the memories and the present coziness. Will be a good fall scent, but I don't foresee a long term relationship with this lady. We shall see. I tend towards the garish. Overall I think I like it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love the sultry scent combination and incredible lasting power of this fragrance! This one combines coffee, jasmine, vanilla, and a host of other yummy notes. I sprayed it on in the early evening and woke up smelling my perfume as though it had just been applied. Everyone who has smelled this on me thinks it's a fantastic fragrance, and I get compliments all the time. It's strong and heavy, but it's another one knocked out of the park by YSL, IMO.

on 12/13/2016 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Amazing, long lasting fragrance. It might be too sweet for somebody but I love it. I have received it as a gift and already ran out, I will definitely buy it again.

on 10/12/2016 5:24:00 PM

This stuff smells so yummy. It's a dark sexy intoxicating smell. I get headaches from a lot of perfumes but not this one. My husband can't help but walk up and take a deep whiff whenever I wear this. It makes me feel like a goddess!

on 9/24/2016 11:44:00 AM

It's a nice enough fragrance that I can't seem to get behind :(

I've tested it again and again since it first came out. I don't get much coffee-- on me initial blast is actually quite soapy-- maybe im getting the whiff of patch first?

Then it quickly becomes a burnt sugared vanilla. This take may actually be a skin chemistry thing bc dior vanilla compilations sadly smell similar on me-- not a deep vanilla but a burnt sugar vanilla (think bath and body works warm vanilla sugar....).

And that's as far as the perfume goes on me. Just a burnt sugar vanilla with lots of patch kicking in the background.

It just seems to resonate "hey im a heavy hitter"-- but then declares little else.

Fwiw one I sprayed this on a friend I didn't care for the smell of it on her either.

on 8/14/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a sweet, almost creamy fragrance and it's for people who prefer gourmands to florals. There aren't many feminine scents out there with a coffee note - generally that seems to be reserved for the boys. Whenever I found fragrances featuring coffee, they were usually too butch for me. Even my beloved Bond No. 9 New Haarlem had a lavender note that reminded me of aftershave. So I was excited when Yves Saint Laurent launched Black Opium in 2014.

It's not as complex as New Haarlem, but Black Opium is a cozy scent that reminds me of a breakfast in a French cafe with a dear friend before we go out sightseeing. It's definitely a vanilla latte sort of aroma and in my mind a good choice for autumn. It is a suitable companion for my tweed blazer with suede elbow patches. Longevity is better than that of my Jo Malones; I can always smell the eau de parfum on my clothes the next day.

There are top notes of pink pepper and orange blossom. The heart is a blend of jasmine and coffee. Base notes are vanilla, patchouli, and cedarwood. Keep in mind that it is for people who like sweet scents.

I started off with a travel spray I bought at Sephora for $27 and took it with me on several trips. I've received compliments when wearing Black Opium and no complaints so far. It's not overpowering or migraine-inducing to those around me. After living with it for a while and getting down to the last few drops of my travel size, I bought a full bottle.

This was voted Best Fragrance by Allure Magazine for 2015. How would I describe it ? If you mixed together Jessica Simpson's "Fancy" and a touch of Thierry Mugler "Angel," I think you would end up with this scent. It's a gourmand with a bit of grit - not cloyingly sweet, thanks to the addition of a coffee note. Others have compared this to Lancome's "La Vie Est Belle" but that scent lacks the sweet component you get with "Black Opium." I am wearing this on one of the hottest days of the summer, but I think this would be a perfect scent for a cool, fall day. When I wear "Angel," I always worry about offending others given its potency but that's not a concern with this scent. It morphs into a sweet, subtle yet noticeable aura. Sadly, it's lacking it terms of longevity - a few hours at best. That is what kept me from giving this a 5-star rating. For the $, I expected more in terms of wear. If you are prepared to reapply, this one is certainly worth checking out for fall.

on 7/29/2016 6:44:00 PM

YSL Black Opium is sticky sweet on my skin. I was hoping for a little of the coffee scent that most are smelling. Instead I'm getting a candied fruit bomb with some vanilla thrown in. Also, no traceable patchouli. I think that Lolita Lempicka might be a close cousin.

on 5/28/2016 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm liking this new YSL Black Opium edp. I get mostly coffee and vanilla, but also liqueur and chocolate, with hints of jasmine and patchouli. Definitely the best coffee fragrance I've encountered, and longer lasting than my testdrive of the current A*men Pure Coffee. A cozy, sexy fragrance. I think men could wear Black Opium too.

Update: I recently got the Black Opium body lotion to go with the EDP. The body lotion is highly fragranced, the fragrance is true to the EDP, however the lotion is thin-textured and full of silicones, so overall it's quite dry within a couple of seconds -- don't expect it to be thick, moisturizing, or have any feeling of oils in it like a traditional fragranced body cream.

Popular Fragrances