Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.5

on 10/13/2015 2:18:00 PM

I still have a bottle of the original Opium, which IMO is a masterpiece and was ground-breaking in its day. I was outraged and heart-broken when I heard they reformulated it. I love the original scent. I use it sparingly so as not to run out of it.

I came back from Europe a couple of weeks ago and I tried this at the Duty-free shops. I tried it several times and at different airports to give it a fair go. As someone else said, this is an insult to the original scent and yes, if I were Yves Saint Laurent, I would come back from the netherworld to haunt the bastards who reformulated a wonderful oriental creation.

This concoction is the typical floral, sugary-sweet, run-of-the-mill, industrial vanilla, Eau de Mallrat that are a dime a dozen anywhere these days. Why don't they just sell it as something else?

Of course, the Age of Mediocrity (our present days) and the scentphobes rage against the original. But I ask you, if the original was so bad, why did the manufacturers name this new farce after it? I mean, if the original was so bad they had to reformulate it it stands to reason they wouldn't have named it after so offending an oldie, now would they? And yet ...

Look, I'm not saying that things should never change. But change does not necessarily mean you have to completely do away with everything that came before it. If that's the case, then let's get rid of all the paintings, music, books, etc, that came before the year 2000, shall we. Let's close all the museums, art galleries, bookstores that carry "old stuff." I hope more than one of you here think that would be completely bigoted, ignorant, and ridiculously discriminating.

What I mean is, go ahead and have your flowery, non-offensive, young, politically correct scents, if you want. But leave the classics alone for those of us who still like them. We too are entitled to our strong, "headache-inducing," "little old lady," "80s powerhouse" scents, if that's what we prefer. YOU don't have to buy them.

But of course, the manufacturers are all about making more and more money while spending less and less of it on their products. Anyway, people will always buy them, as long as they are marketed as "young." That's why I call this the Age of Mediocrity. Everything must be the same. Nothing/nobody must stand out and be unique (except celebrities, the worst mediocrities of all, who "stand out" for all the wrong reasons).

Forgive the rant, but I feel very strongly about this.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

As a periodic fan of YSL's original Opium (I have gone through several phases of enjoying the scent in my 48 years), I was eager to try the new release Black Opium. I saw this in France at Sephora six weeks ago but forgot to test as I was overwhelmed by all of the new scent releases. Fast forward to yesterday. A large tester bottle was sitting at my local drugstore. I was attracted to the gorgeous bottle and had visions of a dark, mysterious, sensual fragrance inside. I pulled up my sleeve and doused my arm without regard for the safety or well being of those around me. Immediately, I was choked by a cloud of chocolate. Not dark, rich, decadent chocolate...no, more the sickly sweet Snickers bar variety. "Ok", I thought..."this version starts off sweet. Soon the sexy, spicy scent of cinnamon will come in to wrestle this baby off the playground and into the bedroom!" Yeah, about that...I'm still waiting. It took approximately 3 minutes for Black Opium to frolic into a sugar fairyland version of Lancome's "La Vie est Belle"! I have never been as negatively surprised by a new fragrance launch as this. Where is the Opium? Heck, where is the Black? Seriously! Absolutely NOTHING about this dissapointingly linear fragrance is new, innovative or sensual. VANILLA, VANILLA...and more, VANILLA! This is rainbows and unicorns. Candyland and those Cos-Play pink festooned animé characters come to mind. Guess what? It lasts a REALLY long time too! My jacket will have to be dry cleaned as I don't care to smell like my daughter's 9th grade home room. I didn't wash my arm for a few hours. Convinced somehow, that there would be a deepening...a change...SOME development. Let's just say, I'm glad I didn't hold my breath! Sorry, YSL. This is bad. A travesty really. YSL has become a department store brand catering to the masses. Difficult to accept that such a great house actually allowed this to be released...especially as a flanker of one of THE most iconic fragrances in recorded history. I'm glad we have many, many better scents from which to choose. Big pass on this one!

on 9/11/2015 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a huge miss. Basically the same as LVEB from Lancome, Flowerbomb, Bon Bon - they are all made by L'Oreal. Not an interesting scent, but sickly sweet (headache inducing).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love any different or sensual deep perfumes so this was an instant intrest for me. People have been saying it's got very strong levels of black coffee in it... - i myself wouldn't say really strong, but on the plus side, a soft, lingering coffee scent that isn't nearly as strong as is sounds in all the advertising and so forth. The scent is actually very sweet, but with the coffee base notes it makes it classy and more wearable that your typical teens rocker perfume. I love that it contains all three of my favourite 'parfum scents' together in one, jasmine, vanilla, and patchouli... But it also contains that mild coffee smell as well! Love it! I'm not so sure about the bottle, in a way i like it, rocker girl edge style... but it could have been made into a better style bottle for such a pretty perfume i think. Still, it's not bad, and beautiful smell. One for the ages ysl!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I swear I keep smelling this perfume everywhere and I'm starting to despise it. It doesn't help that YSL keeps advertising this as some sort of edgy, "cool-girls-only" scent when in reality it smells like all the other sweet, ultra-feminine licorice-heavy gourmands out there. The only thing that sets it apart is the coffee note but to me it's more of a teasing, fleeting wisp of watered down coffee masked with too many spoonfuls of sugar. It lacks the deep, smoky, robust aroma that an actual cup of joe has. Also, I think it's just my skin chemistry but the coffee note disappears very quickly and is overtaken by the licorice, which is a note I personally don't care for. By that point it's essentially Lolita Lempicka with a darker, less sharply sweet drydown, and that one is a mere fraction of the cost.

Not a bad fragrance by any means, but I do think it's a bit overrated.

on 10/30/2015 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This perfume smells fine when you first apply it, but it smells even better after a few minutes when it's had the opportunity to blend into the heat of your body.
It's a rich, full scent.

on 6/3/2015 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got a sample of this. The package of the sample was annoying because you have to snap it open to use and then can't reuse it. I'm not too disappointed however because the scent is nothing impressive. This is a very sweet smelling perfume. Yes, there are a few others scents in there but they quickly fade and I'm left smelling like a bit more fruity version of Fresh Sugar. I don't think this fragrance matches how it is being marketed at all.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is soooo addictive it must contain crack cocaine , the coffee nite stands out fir me first then I get flowers and vanilla in dry down. It's not the most amazing lasting power it wears away fairly quickly I just spray more coz I love it , howeve I bought mine half used on ebay so I'm less bothered as it was a good price if you paid full in shops it may piss u off a bit.
The bottle keeps getting picked up so I know it's a keeper.

on 12/22/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am really surprised to see such low ratings for this new perfume. But hey, that totally goes to show scents are subjective, right?

I couldn't stand the original Opium scent from back in the day (ok maybe they still sell it, I dunno LOL). But when this came out got a sample of it and was blown away. I ended up loving it so much ordered a bottle the very next day...This is a very sexy scent. Per the description there are coffee and vanilla notes, as well as a few different woodsy layers. I don't get the coffee or too any heavy woodsy notes (such as sandalwood and patchouli), which to be quite honest I am very happy about as I find them too masculine. Also the vanilla is quite tame and definitely not overpowering either. What I do get is a mixture of both spicy and sweet which I can't quite put my finger on, but LOVE.

on 12/17/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Lovely perfume. Rock chic with a very subtile touch of sweet. Really my style.

Popular Fragrances