Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

All time favourite scent - not as dainty as typical florals.Smells sweet but not in a sickly way. Lasts on the skin a long time and is not too overpowering.
The only drawback is the price tag.

on 10/30/2017 6:21:00 PM

The top notes are great, but after wearing it for awhile I noticed the undertone of something I found unpleasant.

Smells like Britney Spears In Control. It's fine. Kind of a sweet floriental. It does not smell like the original Opium. I don't smell coffee, or pastries or a snowy afternoon in a cafe or anything. I do smell syrupy, burnt caramel, gloppy nude lip gloss, extra mascara, bad dance moves, big earrings, last call and throbbing hangovers (must be my personal connection with In Control, lol). The black glittery bottle is SO tacky, but it fits the fragrance. This is party girl juice. The scent has good lasting power. Bought it for the memories and the present coziness. Will be a good fall scent, but I don't foresee a long term relationship with this lady. We shall see. I tend towards the garish. Overall I think I like it.

on 5/2/2017 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I was really disappointed with this fragrance. I love spicy and woodsy scents and I'm a big fan of Christian Dior Addict and Calvin Klein Euphoria. Both which I've gotten compliments on as they are really great long lasting fragrances. This one disappeared as soon as I applied it. No matter when or how I applied it lasted only long enough for one whiff. (two lippies off) Smells great but I wouldn't buy this again. Also the bottle made it tricky to spray and it kind of leaked. Not what I want to happen when I purchase a $90 bottle.

on 4/3/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really enjoy wearing Black Opium. It smells delicious, yet slightly mysterious. This is perfect for fans of Hypnotic Poison and La Vie Est Belle (ME). It doesn't smell like either of them, but, as a fragrance it embodies the same idea of elegant sweetness. It reminds me of chocolate, and coffee, and orange blossoms...some of my very favorite things in life! For some reason this perfume generates a lot of negativity among fragrance reviewers. Personally, I don't care that it's not a "masterpiece", because I couldn't afford it if it was. And I don't mind that it doesn't smell like the original Opium. In my experience, the original Opium repels those around me more effectively than Roach Killer. My husband, kids, friends, and random strangers all compliment Black Opium, year-round. I guess it just works with my chemistry. I recently purchased Black Opium Floral Shock and I'm loving it, as well, especially as the weather heats up.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love the sultry scent combination and incredible lasting power of this fragrance! This one combines coffee, jasmine, vanilla, and a host of other yummy notes. I sprayed it on in the early evening and woke up smelling my perfume as though it had just been applied. Everyone who has smelled this on me thinks it's a fantastic fragrance, and I get compliments all the time. It's strong and heavy, but it's another one knocked out of the park by YSL, IMO.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I swear I keep smelling this perfume everywhere and I'm starting to despise it. It doesn't help that YSL keeps advertising this as some sort of edgy, "cool-girls-only" scent when in reality it smells like all the other sweet, ultra-feminine licorice-heavy gourmands out there. The only thing that sets it apart is the coffee note but to me it's more of a teasing, fleeting wisp of watered down coffee masked with too many spoonfuls of sugar. It lacks the deep, smoky, robust aroma that an actual cup of joe has. Also, I think it's just my skin chemistry but the coffee note disappears very quickly and is overtaken by the licorice, which is a note I personally don't care for. By that point it's essentially Lolita Lempicka with a darker, less sharply sweet drydown, and that one is a mere fraction of the cost.

Not a bad fragrance by any means, but I do think it's a bit overrated.

We went shopping for a TV. And my husband was really taken by the sales girls scent. I couldn't smell it. In the end I asked her what perfume she was wearing ? "Nothing today, I did put Black opium on yesterday when wearing this jacket" of course I bought it, and oh my it's gorgeous, tad sweet at first but after it settled slightly musky. My go to now. I will repurchase it lasts too, I'd do the usual on my wrists but never my neck. Squirt into my hair. Even my son asked what it was. Of course the hug. And my hair perfect

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I LOVE this perfume! If you love vanilla and warm undertones, then this is your HG. The staying power is excellent, especially when layered after lotion or light body oil. I get lots of compliments on how good I smell when wearing Black Opium. If you love Organza Indecence by Givenchy, then you'll enjoy Black Opium.👍🏼😊

on 12/19/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Amazing. My signature scent. It's pricey, but worth it considering how well it stays on me. I could even smell it still after a shower (no joke). That's how I knew this baby was a keeper. It's a very warm, sensual and sweet scent. It's totally up my alley.

Will repurchase.