Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 4/3/2017 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really enjoy wearing Black Opium. It smells delicious, yet slightly mysterious. This is perfect for fans of Hypnotic Poison and La Vie Est Belle (ME). It doesn't smell like either of them, but, as a fragrance it embodies the same idea of elegant sweetness. It reminds me of chocolate, and coffee, and orange blossoms...some of my very favorite things in life! For some reason this perfume generates a lot of negativity among fragrance reviewers. Personally, I don't care that it's not a "masterpiece", because I couldn't afford it if it was. And I don't mind that it doesn't smell like the original Opium. In my experience, the original Opium repels those around me more effectively than Roach Killer. My husband, kids, friends, and random strangers all compliment Black Opium, year-round. I guess it just works with my chemistry. I recently purchased Black Opium Floral Shock and I'm loving it, as well, especially as the weather heats up.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I LOVE this perfume! If you love vanilla and warm undertones, then this is your HG. The staying power is excellent, especially when layered after lotion or light body oil. I get lots of compliments on how good I smell when wearing Black Opium. If you love Organza Indecence by Givenchy, then you'll enjoy Black Opium.👍🏼😊

on 11/24/2016 1:04:00 AM

Omg I love this scent it stays put all day smells crisp and clean with a touch of floral and a bit woodsy hard to explain just oh soooo good ... mmmmmm my man loves it

on 9/29/2016 3:03:00 PM

I'm in love with this fragrance. It is sweet but I have always loved sweet scents. I can't wear most fragrances without my eyes watering and getting a headache but this is an exception. I had a delivery man come in my office right after I sprayed this and he took a picture so he could get it for his wife. He said it was the best thing he ever smelled!

This was voted Best Fragrance by Allure Magazine for 2015. How would I describe it ? If you mixed together Jessica Simpson's "Fancy" and a touch of Thierry Mugler "Angel," I think you would end up with this scent. It's a gourmand with a bit of grit - not cloyingly sweet, thanks to the addition of a coffee note. Others have compared this to Lancome's "La Vie Est Belle" but that scent lacks the sweet component you get with "Black Opium." I am wearing this on one of the hottest days of the summer, but I think this would be a perfect scent for a cool, fall day. When I wear "Angel," I always worry about offending others given its potency but that's not a concern with this scent. It morphs into a sweet, subtle yet noticeable aura. Sadly, it's lacking it terms of longevity - a few hours at best. That is what kept me from giving this a 5-star rating. For the $, I expected more in terms of wear. If you are prepared to reapply, this one is certainly worth checking out for fall.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Black Opium is an edgy, smoky bad girl with a touch of sweetness. Most prominent notes are coffee, jasmine sambac, almond, and vanilla. It's sexy and comforting at the same time. If a fragrance were a place, this would be a coffee shop that served drinks and played jazz at night. Men love it. Similar qualities with Trouble by Boucheron and the cult classic BY by Dolce & Gabanna.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I haven't even been interested in trying this because I loathe the original Opium. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about since Black Opium doesn't seem to even be a distant cousin of the original. I love so many things about Black Opium - its creamy vanilla warmth, its sultry-but-sweet spice -- that base note of musk that doesn't overpower. I do wish they had a lighter flanker for summer because it feels too rich and heavy for hot weather but for now I just layer it with one of my lighter fragrances that mixes well with it. I adore this and will never be without it!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is sweet yet warm. I feel like this is good for Fall and early Winter. Or evening if worn in the Summer. I think this is one of those perfumes that you might want to be careful wearing around those with sensitive noses or allergies, as it has some notes that seem would trigger allergies or reactions. I would not wear this to work or to school. Date nites or weddings or that sort of thing...

I like this scent. While there are dozens if not hundreds of perfumes out now with the sweet smell, this one is different. I do not detect patchouli in this but those who do not like patchouli may pick up on it. I just detect a sweet slightly fruity yet warm smell about this. Almost like if you want to smell like a warm fruit pie right out of the oven..?

This is though one of those perfumes that I have better luck 'walking into the fragrance' : ie: I spritz it and 'walk into' the mist. I feel like this is one of those perfumes that if I spray it directly to my wrists or pulse points, it blends badly with my body chemistry.

I will say I think this is a bit over-rated and over-priced..This wears off on me within a couple of hours, and the dry down gets very sweet, almost sickeningly sweet for me..So I would not wear this somewhere that I will have it on all day (again, not to work or to school).

All in all not holy grail for me, and I would not shout out about it, but I may re-purchase it somewhere, some day. Nothing special, but happy to have it in my collection and I can see me definitely using up the entire bottle.

So, I like it but not be all end all like some make it out to be. But fragrance is so subjective, what is holy grail for me I am sure would not be for others. So that is why I stuck with the performance, lasting power and dry-down scent of this as opposed to the overall scent itself. ;)

UPDATE: This review was written based on the many samples I had received of this. I now have the full bottle and I agree with the other reviewers, this is very heavy on the vanilla note (seriously smells like a vanilla spray or candle) and/or this smells like one of the many cheap celebrity fragrances that you can get for a fraction of the price of this. I also agree with the other reviewers that say that this smells like a young girl's scent. As a woman of 45 years old this just does not appeal to me. And there is supposed to be a coffee note in there. I am a coffee freak so I would pick up on a coffee note and I pick up no coffee note. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. But I bought this at Ulta, so it should have been fine!! :( If you like very sweet, very vanilla scents, this might be something you would enjoy. To me it is nothing special. Overpriced imho (which I did say in my initial review). I dropped my initial rating of this from 3 lippies to 2 lippies. Very average scent that is overpriced, and if you are looking at the notes described online for this, you might be disappointed.

on 2/29/2016 1:33:00 AM

Smells great for about ten minutes...then it fades. After an hour, the scent is gone. Awesome, huh, for such expensive stuff? Yea, right.

on 12/22/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am really surprised to see such low ratings for this new perfume. But hey, that totally goes to show scents are subjective, right?

I couldn't stand the original Opium scent from back in the day (ok maybe they still sell it, I dunno LOL). But when this came out got a sample of it and was blown away. I ended up loving it so much ordered a bottle the very next day...This is a very sexy scent. Per the description there are coffee and vanilla notes, as well as a few different woodsy layers. I don't get the coffee or too any heavy woodsy notes (such as sandalwood and patchouli), which to be quite honest I am very happy about as I find them too masculine. Also the vanilla is quite tame and definitely not overpowering either. What I do get is a mixture of both spicy and sweet which I can't quite put my finger on, but LOVE.

Popular Fragrances