Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 5/2/2017 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I was really disappointed with this fragrance. I love spicy and woodsy scents and I'm a big fan of Christian Dior Addict and Calvin Klein Euphoria. Both which I've gotten compliments on as they are really great long lasting fragrances. This one disappeared as soon as I applied it. No matter when or how I applied it lasted only long enough for one whiff. (two lippies off) Smells great but I wouldn't buy this again. Also the bottle made it tricky to spray and it kind of leaked. Not what I want to happen when I purchase a $90 bottle.

We went shopping for a TV. And my husband was really taken by the sales girls scent. I couldn't smell it. In the end I asked her what perfume she was wearing ? "Nothing today, I did put Black opium on yesterday when wearing this jacket" of course I bought it, and oh my it's gorgeous, tad sweet at first but after it settled slightly musky. My go to now. I will repurchase it lasts too, I'd do the usual on my wrists but never my neck. Squirt into my hair. Even my son asked what it was. Of course the hug. And my hair perfect

on 12/17/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Lovely perfume. Rock chic with a very subtile touch of sweet. Really my style.

on 8/14/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a sweet, almost creamy fragrance and it's for people who prefer gourmands to florals. There aren't many feminine scents out there with a coffee note - generally that seems to be reserved for the boys. Whenever I found fragrances featuring coffee, they were usually too butch for me. Even my beloved Bond No. 9 New Haarlem had a lavender note that reminded me of aftershave. So I was excited when Yves Saint Laurent launched Black Opium in 2014.

It's not as complex as New Haarlem, but Black Opium is a cozy scent that reminds me of a breakfast in a French cafe with a dear friend before we go out sightseeing. It's definitely a vanilla latte sort of aroma and in my mind a good choice for autumn. It is a suitable companion for my tweed blazer with suede elbow patches. Longevity is better than that of my Jo Malones; I can always smell the eau de parfum on my clothes the next day.

There are top notes of pink pepper and orange blossom. The heart is a blend of jasmine and coffee. Base notes are vanilla, patchouli, and cedarwood. Keep in mind that it is for people who like sweet scents.

I started off with a travel spray I bought at Sephora for $27 and took it with me on several trips. I've received compliments when wearing Black Opium and no complaints so far. It's not overpowering or migraine-inducing to those around me. After living with it for a while and getting down to the last few drops of my travel size, I bought a full bottle.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is soooo addictive it must contain crack cocaine , the coffee nite stands out fir me first then I get flowers and vanilla in dry down. It's not the most amazing lasting power it wears away fairly quickly I just spray more coz I love it , howeve I bought mine half used on ebay so I'm less bothered as it was a good price if you paid full in shops it may piss u off a bit.
The bottle keeps getting picked up so I know it's a keeper.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I need to be fair and state that this is not related to the original Opium in the least, however that does not mean this isn't pleasant. I own both the original Opium and Opium Black and can find merit in both. To me this reads like a very sweet orange blossom and jasmine fragrance layered over vanilla, a dash of coffee and wood. The scent is similar in some aspects to the orange blossom in Armani Code and is gourmand in nature like Angel. If you love orange blossom and sweet vanilla fragrances you will likely love this: however if you are looking for an incense laden, noir, spice bomb look elsewhere!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a tester that was enough for me to try it about 5 times. Well, it is sexy and fun. BUT. It disappears very quickly and the very last note that lingers around feels totally fake and synthetic (this was the deal breaker for me). It is exactly the note you can smell in a Warm vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, which is about 10 times cheaper, if not more. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to smell like half of women out there. Going back to Chanel Mademoiselle EDT (not EDP)

on 11/8/2015 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tested it and it's Yuck !!! So plastic to me.

on 10/25/2015 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Black Opium to my nose is not terrible by any means, it's actually "nice". I'd give it 2.5 stars, rounding up to 3. Nice as in pleasant, inoffensive, but also rather forgettable. The fact that it is nice smelling is definitely not enough for me to purchase any scent. That said, I can imagine that Black Opium is a crowd pleaser and that's completely fine. The only gripe I have with this new fragrance is the "legacy" of its name. Opium - these are big shoes to fill for a worthy successor! It certainly got my attention and I imagine many people familiar with the Original were curious to smell this new creation. I have sampled the original Opium back in the days and while I found it too heavy to wear it myself I recognized Opium as a masterpiece of its time. Black Opium in my view does not possess much if any uniqueness. Sadly, the famous name was (mis-)used for marketing purposes only.

on 10/13/2015 1:42:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Mmmmmm....Smells like fairy farts....no seriously though it smells divine...for me it started out very sweet, but after a while it is now smelling smokier...with florals...some vanilla....sweet smokieness...(its a thing..) I LOVES it.....sniffff....Mmmmmm....swell!!

Popular Fragrances