Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I swear I keep smelling this perfume everywhere and I'm starting to despise it. It doesn't help that YSL keeps advertising this as some sort of edgy, "cool-girls-only" scent when in reality it smells like all the other sweet, ultra-feminine licorice-heavy gourmands out there. The only thing that sets it apart is the coffee note but to me it's more of a teasing, fleeting wisp of watered down coffee masked with too many spoonfuls of sugar. It lacks the deep, smoky, robust aroma that an actual cup of joe has. Also, I think it's just my skin chemistry but the coffee note disappears very quickly and is overtaken by the licorice, which is a note I personally don't care for. By that point it's essentially Lolita Lempicka with a darker, less sharply sweet drydown, and that one is a mere fraction of the cost.

Not a bad fragrance by any means, but I do think it's a bit overrated.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

If you own Fame by Lady Gaga, don't buy Black Opium because they're pretty much the same thing.

If you don't own Fame, then go ahead and try it out for yourself. I don't really like the scent. It's very strong with a sweetness to it. It's a very mature scent.

on 12/7/2015 4:42:00 PM

It is ok, but don't last.

When I first smelled this product, I did not like it. But it has grown on me, a few of my friends wear it. I was in a perfume store and I compared the original opium to the BO and I definitely prefer Black Opium. And I love the design of the bottle.

on 6/2/2015 7:39:00 AM

I bought this as i seen the TV commercial and loved the packaging. I wasn't really expecting much when it came but WOW. I adore this fragrance. A little goes along way but oh my it is beautiful. I tend to lean towards sweet vanilla scents and find this like cat nip !! My boyfriend also loves this fragrance, he goes mad for it ! No one can describe a scent online and i advise smelling this perfume when passing your local department store. It's beautiful, elegant, classic yet modern !

Popular Fragrances