Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.7

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I swear I keep smelling this perfume everywhere and I'm starting to despise it. It doesn't help that YSL keeps advertising this as some sort of edgy, "cool-girls-only" scent when in reality it smells like all the other sweet, ultra-feminine licorice-heavy gourmands out there. The only thing that sets it apart is the coffee note but to me it's more of a teasing, fleeting wisp of watered down coffee masked with too many spoonfuls of sugar. It lacks the deep, smoky, robust aroma that an actual cup of joe has. Also, I think it's just my skin chemistry but the coffee note disappears very quickly and is overtaken by the licorice, which is a note I personally don't care for. By that point it's essentially Lolita Lempicka with a darker, less sharply sweet drydown, and that one is a mere fraction of the cost.

Not a bad fragrance by any means, but I do think it's a bit overrated.

on 12/13/2016 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Amazing, long lasting fragrance. It might be too sweet for somebody but I love it. I have received it as a gift and already ran out, I will definitely buy it again.

on 1/17/2016 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is slowly becoming my signature scent, and I absolutely love it (despite the price...)

So I ordered the rollerball on Sephora.com because I was so sure that this was going to become a favorite of mine. I remembered smelling it at a counter when I went out of town, but never bothered to actually spritz a little on myself--forgetting that the smell would change a little once on the skin... Now I don't think the scent is bad, but I do think it's very mediocre. It's actually very similar to Lancome's 'La Vie Belle', which is almost a carbon copy of Flowerbomb (When I smell them one after the other anyway.

on 12/29/2015 12:40:00 PM

This does smell a lot like Loverdose by Diesel, but I do like it a lot! it is sweet but not to sweet, but it may only last on me for about 3-4 hours which is disappointing. I don't get any of the coffee out of it, I sprayed some on my mum to see if it smelt any different on her and it smelt just like it did on me. I think most people can wear this perfume, I would say it's more of a day time perfume, I know some say night time but I don't find it heavy/strong enough for night time. overall it's ok nothing special I wouldn't buy it again.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

If you own Fame by Lady Gaga, don't buy Black Opium because they're pretty much the same thing.

If you don't own Fame, then go ahead and try it out for yourself. I don't really like the scent. It's very strong with a sweetness to it. It's a very mature scent.

on 12/7/2015 4:42:00 PM

It is ok, but don't last.

on 11/25/2015 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I honestly don't like this perfume very much. I was given it as a present, I thought it would be like the original opium but it was far from it.

It smells very smokey sweet and dark. It is very strong and the reason I did not like it, was because it was pungent. If you have ever smelt DKNY Delicious Night mixed with Victoria Secret's Vanilla Lace, that is how I would describe it. In my opinion not a good mix.

I have to really be in a mood to be able to wear this. If I am honest, I almost hate it, I only wear it because I know SOME guys like it, I have been given some compliments but usually much more wearing a lighter feminine fragrance - Daisy Dream. Really not impressed for a YSL perfume.

Although it doesn't smell great, I did give it 3 stars for the fact it is very unique. I've never smelt anything like it. When I take a whiff I initially get a quite strong spicy note of aniseed mixed with coffee/tobacco and a strong vanilla undertone to the spice. I do smell a hint of floral, but more a sort of dark floral note very heavy too. Maybe Jasmine, but not your fresh sweet scent of Jasmine, more a heavy smoky smelling floral scent. It's also a little peppery, I can detect a little frankincense. In addition there is a touch of a cologne smell to it.

The main reason I dislike this perfume is because when I used to smoke, I would use pungent sickly perfumes to hide the cigarette stench from my parents, or at least to distract them from the smell of smoke. This is exactly what it smelt like to me. Too much, over the top, pungent and most of all not the best combination of notes. I would think floral notes would suit an overly spicy scent more, rather than an overly sweet one. In my opinion the two notes majorly repel each other which is the biggest let down for me.

In terms of price, this was very expensive and I don't think it is worth the price. It was more expensive than YSL Cinema, which was a perfume I really liked. I also liked roses by YSL. Both fantastic perfumes were much cheaper. I felt a little disappointed by this one.

When I first smelled this product, I did not like it. But it has grown on me, a few of my friends wear it. I was in a perfume store and I compared the original opium to the BO and I definitely prefer Black Opium. And I love the design of the bottle.

on 10/25/2015 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Kind of a boring fragrance imho, it doesn't wow but its a crowd pleaser.

Popular Fragrances