Urban Decay Vice 3

Urban Decay Vice 3
Vice 3Vice 3Vice 3Vice 3

3.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Very diverse range of colors, good quality shadows. However, too many frostys!!!!

on 1/29/2016 8:50:00 PM

When I just got started with makeup, I wanted every eyeshadow palette. This is a nice palette but you really don't need all these colors if you're not going to use them. This and all the other vice palettes I bought sat in the bottom of my drawer until I wanted to sell them. I ended up depotting them and swatched all of them. I only kept the ones that were really nice and put them into a z palette.

on 9/25/2015 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

The colours: beautiful. If this were just a review of the shades chosen for this palette I would give it 5 stars. The mix of neutrals and more vibrant colours have allowed me to create a wide variety of looks which I love.

I also love the packaging-it's a bit flashy, tacky even..it's fun, like Urban Decay used to be before they went crazy with 'Naked' everything. It's also nice and slim in comparison to the previous 2 vice palettes which I appreciate, easier to store. Having had it for a few months I've found it is prone to scratches and fingerprints, a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

Having said all that- and it pains me to have to write this- the quality... oh God the quality. As a fan of many of Urban Decay's previous eye shadow palettes and singles, I'm sorry to say that the quality really seems to have taken a nosedive on this one. I first noticed a bit of a dip in quality with the Naked 2 Basics palette where a few of the shadows seemed more powdery and had poorer staying power on my lids compared to my other Urban Decay shadows. But this palette unfortunately is even worse.

The shadows are extremely powdery (especially the mattes) and every time I dip my brush or finger into a pan quite an amount of product is kicked up. So much so that after a few weeks of moderate use one of the shades had already hit the pan significantly in the middle because so much product was being kicked up and wasted with each use. I have never had anything like that happen to me with an eye shadow before, I was shocked. This of course also tends to lead to quite a bit of fallout on application. But that's manageable- just be sure to do your eye makeup first before your face and clean up the fallout before proceeding.

The pigmentation is okay, nothing to write home about and again noticeably poorer compared to other Urban Decay shadows I own. While they look vibrant in the pan I have been unable to get that same vibrancy on my lid no matter what application methods I have tried and what primers I have used. Some of the colours also tend to either apply a bit patchy or turn muddy and are difficult to blend. I could deal with this sort of issue if it was a cheaper palette but for nearly 50 euro I just don't think it's acceptable.

And my biggest issue with the palette-the staying power. No matter what I do I can't get these shadows to last on my lids at all. Every look I have tried has creased within 2 hours, often even less which leaves me extremely disappointed. It's no fun to spend a lot of time creating a look with shadows that are not the easiest to work with in the first place only to have all of your work wasted when it's creasing and fading when your day/night out has barely begun. Having said that, I have oily lids. My combination of Urban Decay primer potion and a MAC paint pot manage to keep pretty much every other eye shadow I own on my lids all day long and still looking great but it fails with this palette. Switching it up with different primers didn't make any difference for me either. But maybe if you have drier lids you might have more luck.

Yesterday I whipped out this palette again-the colours really are so gorgeous, maybe it will work for me this time... nope. An hour after applying it had creased, 2 hours in and it was fading and looking patchy. Nothing like spending all day feeling self conscious about your makeup which has failed you. And I think with that, I have finally admitted defeat. I've had this palette for a few months now and every time I use it I end up disappointed and remember why I haven't been reaching for it. Today I used my Vice 2 palette instead-buttery smooth shades, great pigmentation and no fading or creasing. Same company, same line of palettes, but what a difference.

on 3/1/2015 2:49:00 PM

I got this palette for Christmas 2014, and I was ecstatic! This is the first UD palette I've ever gotten, and I must say it's lived up to my expectations.

The colors are organized by shade (all of the browns are in a line, all of the blues and greens are in a line, all of the reds and pinks are in a line, etc.). This makes it very easy to plan an eye shadow look.

The product itself, once it's laid on the eyelid, doesn't smudge- AT ALL. I've worn this with and without the Urban Decay Eye Primer, and the look has always stayed all day.

That being said, there is a lot of fall out from the palette. When I first started using it, I would finish my makeup only to find dust coating my cheeks- and the only way to get it off is to carefully "flick" it off with a fluffy brush (a big giant one- like a kabuki or blush brush). I was able to fix this by just applying much slower and more carefully. However, this could pose a big problem for someone new to eye shadow.

Overall, I really love this palette. It contains a perfect mix of nude and bright colors, and lets me create a myriad of looks. I would only recommend this, though, for someone who's used eye shadow lots of times of before, since the fallout could (and most likely would) cause lots of issues for a newbie.

on 2/23/2015 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love UD shadows and I loved the colors in the Vice 2 palette but I never picked it up, so when I saw the Vice 3 in Sephora, I flipped! I immediately swatched all the colors on my arm and they were so pigmented and gorgeous. When I snagged it, a few weeks later, I was obsessed with blending these shades into one another and creating crazy intense looks. I didn't get the insane fallout I heard a lot about in YouTube videos: eye shadows are powders, and if you go at it with a heavy hand, they'll be all over your countertop. I didn't notice any excess dustiness at all, and minimal fallout was easy to remove. Each shadow is lovely to blend and they look amazing on the skin. The funky colors really do pop nicely, and they are very true to the color in the pan. I can also trust that with the UD primer, they're not going to melt off my oily lids, which is a HUGE plus. They're also easy to remove with a cotton round and some makeup remover. With the mattes and the unique array of colors, I could use this palette exclusively every single day. Even though I'm a budding palette junkie, I made the right decision to pick this one up.

I actually really like this palette, don't get me wrong there. However in comparison to my other urban decay favorites this one just doesn't quite make me as excited. I wear it frequently, and I think it's great for every day as well as more dramatic looks. Some bright colors, lots of neutrals, but I think it's all a bit too dark for my tastes. No regrets on the purchase, just like others better.

on 1/31/2015 10:58:00 PM

I'm not as happy with this than I am with older UD palettes I have. Is it just me or as the years progress the quality of the products go down so they sucker you in to use a primer. I use a primer either way but my old ud palettes like naked and the Brooklyn one were far more pigmented with less fallout. The color pay off was worth it back in the day. These are good but impossible to apply with the horrible quality brush provided and without primer or properly blending. There are a lot of neutrals which I'm happy with if you're closer in age to 30 than neutrals are your new best friend and it's not always by choice. I do love the vibrant colors too however they must be carefully blended or it can backfire. BRING BACK VICE 2.

Ps. Save your money and spare yourself the agony and skip vice ltd it's very very similiar, they just know how to sucker us makeup junkies with their marketing campaigns. I've swatches both there are a few colors repeated and then relaunched with different names. Beware.

My vice 2 is very dear to me, so it's no surprise that this one is another favorite. It has a nice array of neutrals, but also a great selection of bold, bright colors. I can do anything with this palette... Except buy more, because this one broke my bank. Worth it? Oh totally. It does have a couple more mattes than the previous vice palettes, which is never opposed. That's my complaint about my naked palettes... Shimmer and glitter bombs. Shimmer shades are easy for companies to make... Show off your talent UD!! But zero complaints on the vice 3. Love this junk!

on 1/12/2015 12:22:00 PM

I LOVE THIS PALETTE! I usually wouldn't spend $50+ on an eyeshadow palette, but I ended up getting this one as a Christmas gift- and I am so happy I did! The colors are on the more vibrant side, so you might have to practice a little until you're able to apply it in a way that's appropriate for the daytime (it took me a couple tries to look like I wasn't going to a party at my school). There is some fallout when you use it- no matter how careful I am, I always end up looking like I've got a million blackheads underneath my eyes after finishing my makeup. I was able to fix this by apply powder under my eyes first, and then using a clean fluffy brush to carefully wipe of the excess. However, if you don't want to include these extra steps, then I've heard that wetting the eyeshadows gets rid of fallout (but I'm not sure, I've never tried it). Other than that, this palette is great- it doesn't wear off throughout the day- I need it to last from approx. 6 in the morning till 9 at night (and I teach taekwondo, so it has to stay on through that as well). If I were to ever lose this product, I would almost certainly try to get ahold of it again.

My first UD pallete was the electric and let me tell you that is worth every penny. Now i also own an elf pallete and i had no idea i would be comparing these two to the Vice 3. Dont get me wrong, the colors look amazing, but only swatched and in the pan. When applyed to the eyes they do not show up at all and the fallout is everywhere. They are super dry and crack when i try to get some with my brush. I know how to use eyeshadow. I also own several sugarpill shadows which ive had for years and out of everything i own which brand does the vice 3 compare to? My elf pallete. My 3$ elf pallete. How ANYONE could even use this is beyond me. I tried a primer and a primer with a white base on top and only then could i see color. It was super mudy and ugly looking and you can not blend at all. In the end i want a refund but in the end im only keeping it for the beautiful mirror. Honestly UD made the electric pallete amazing and this is like april fools! I spent 60$ on a dupe for elf. I can get better shadows from anyother company and the only reason now i can see for UD is the brand, the packaging and thats it. The quality is so bad i feel bad my electric pallete is next to it, night snd day they are. Im afraid no, do not buy this at all. Go buy makeupgeek or sugarpill THOSE are quality.