NYX Matte Lipstick - Bloody Mary

NYX Matte Lipstick - Bloody Mary
Matte Lipstick - Bloody MaryNYX matte lipsticks - Bloody M, Merlot, P. redNYX Bloody Mary mixed with a tiny amount MAC Relen

on 1/11/2017 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you love Nars Dragon Girl, but hate how quickly it needs sharpened, gets used up, (and how much it costs!) This is the lipstick for you.

I honestly would have never tried this lipstick going by just the name. "Bloody Mary" to me connotes a warm tomatoey red, like the juice part of the bloody mary cocktail. But, I searched online for a Dragon Girl dupe, and this popped up.

The blogger said it was slightly darker than Dragon Girl, but had enough praise for it that I decided to try it, and WOW am I glad I did!

First off, it is darker than Dragon Girl. Its not as dark as Ruby Woo (I don't think, as I no longer own RW) Bloody Mary is a vibrant, cool toned red, and wears extremely well.

When I first swatched it on my hand to compare with DG, I was disappointed, as it not only looked darker, but cooler and duller, and I figured I'd be on the Sephora or Nordstrom site next, ordering another Dragon Girl....but, when I put it on my lips, it didn't translate like that at all. It is so vibrant! It does not look appreciably darker on than DG, and I think suits my coloring even better.

Why NXY named it this, I can't figure out, it just doesn't fit it, but, its such a find!

NYX can be tricky to find locally for me, the CVS just a couple of blocks from me carries it, but they never seem to have anything good actually in stock. They are perpetually picked over, and most stuff is opened up, and just "yuck". I didn't even check there. I looked on Amazon instead, and they have it (US website, don't know about other countries) It is sold as either an add on item for $5.99, or as part of subscribe and save order for $5.09. (and, yes, I added it to our monthly subscribe and save upcoming orders :) )

The only negative is the packaging. Its one of those tube cases where the entire tip of the lipstick bullet does not retract fully and a tiny tip of it remains up above the lip of the tube. It will wear down soon enough, but, until then, I'll have to take care every time I put the cap back on that I don't accidentally nick the lipstick. (why do they do that?)

[EDIT]

I experimented with layering MAC Relentlessly Red over this lipstick, and found it did duplicate Dragon Girl. If you own RR, you know it can be weird about mixing with other lipsticks, balms layered under it, whatever. But, the two got along nicely, so I mixed some together in a small pot to apply with a lip brush (which isn't a problem for me, but some people may not want to bother with it). I used approximately 3 parts Bloody Mary to 1 part Relentlessly Red, and it is a spot on dupe for Dragon Girl. The combo wears well, isn't particularly drying for a matte lipstick. I'm happy.

I have not uploaded any photos of it, but will probably do so eventually, and will update this review when that happens.

[UPDATE] I tried to upload a photo to this review, and it doesn't show up (tried multiple times, hopefully they don't all come through later lol) Anyway, if you don't see a photo with this review of a woman wearing a blue turtleneck, and you want to see the blended lipstick of mostly NYX Bloody Mary with MAC Relentlessly Red, go to my profile. It is there with my other photos. The photo I took (on my monitor) shows the color exactly as it appears.

on 4/12/2015 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I pretty much agree with the other review completely! The only thing i's like to add is that on me it actually tends to look more fuchsia then redish. I am in love with this colour and the entire range of NYX matte lipsticks! On the swatch picture, it's the one to the left.

on 9/3/2014 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Color: A very bright pink-red. It may look like a pure bright red if you have fair skin with cool undertones.

Application: Extremely smooth to apply. No tugging whatsoever. I actually prefer a bit of tugging because it makes lipsticks a bit easier to apply. But yeah, this baby just glides on.

Wear: There is some transfer but nothing excessive. This color just lasts and lasts and lasts.

Pros:
- Excellent pigmentation - you really need about one or two swipes max for full coverage
- Comfortable on the lips (not overly drying for a matte)
- Great staying power
- Very affordable at $6

Cons:
- Packaging is a little flimsy

All in all, this is an excellent product. I'd say it rivals high-end brands.