Dior DIORSKIN STAR

Dior DIORSKIN STAR
DIORSKIN STARDIORSKIN STAR

3.7

Aqua, Octinoxate 5.99 , Titanium Dioxide 3.50 , Isododecane, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Acrylates/ Dimethicone Copolymer, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/ 1 Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Bellis Perennis Flower Extract, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Pentylene Glycol, Barium Sulfate, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Glyceryl Undecyl Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Lecithin, Tromethamine, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propylene Carbonate, BHT, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Linalool, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Palmitic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Sodium Phosphate, Spilanthes Acmella Flower Extract, Magnesium Hydroxide, Tocopherol, CI 77163, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI77891

on 11/28/2018 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

When they say that you will be walking around looking like you have your own personal soft professional lighting everywhere you go, they are not lying.

I do not know what they did to make this bottle or what is in this bottle but they could not have called it a better name because you will feel like a star.

Let's start with the packaging. If that is not the most boujee-iest thing ever. The bottle itself is lush and luxurious--fit for the Dior brand. It's perfectly weighty, beautifully designed yet sleek and simple.

So, how about the consistency? At first pump, it has a creamy, moussey texture that is sure to go on neither matte nor dewy--rather, it is a smooth, stunning satin finish (a great in-between finish to cover more skin types and give a more emollient, skin-like finish without being too shiny).

What about the application? It's tricky. After making several attempts with several different modes of application (many high-end and drugstore brushes including discontinued Dior foundation brush, sponges, hands, etc) to get this foundation to look as it did at the Dior counter, my drugstore ELF brush best applied this luxury foundation for the most stunning results. Specifically, I do not apply in a circular motion. I apply it doing half the face at a time and applying and blending the foundation outward toward the hairline and ears--thus, in a one-directional, horizontal motion. Other types of application are still nice but they simply did not replicate its true beauty. No other foundation I have ever tried is this high-maintenance. But once you find the right application for you, it's smooth, easy and gorgeous and it is more worth it than any other foundation I have ever tried.

The next question I guess is one of the most important of all: how does it look? If you want to look like you are being snapped by an expensive professional camera with expensive professional lighting all day, then nothing quite captures that than this foundation. You might as well call this foundation expensive lighting because the brightening effect is second to none. My face looked even, smooth and radiant but it is so next-level that those mere descriptors can not convey the beauty. This foundation leans full coverage but not quite. You will look like you have foundation on...but only to people who know foundation. It is only natural to the naked eye. It is perfect for heavy lighting.

The last question is, how well does it perform? While it lasts all day and even gets more beautiful with time, it does oxidize something serious. All Dior foundations I have tried oxidize and that is so unbecoming for the price point. (I use Make Up For Ever setting spray and that generally stops the oxidization.)

Where this foundation fails is at the application process, which I think if this were not a thing, this foundation would have stayed on the market and become an instant classic. If the application process is so tedious, specific and convoluted (and worst part, so easy to get wrong), most people who bought this foundation probably never got to see how epic it is, so that monumental formula did not get all the accolades it deserved. (Dior Forever is a close dupe for this foundation but it is matte instead of satin and does not have as radiant an effect--thankfully, it did get the recognition it deserved....and you can apply this foundation with any applicator to see its beauty.) The oxidation thing is universal across the Dior line, so that needs fixing.

Otherwise, this is one of my favorite foundations ever (now that I know how to use it).

on 7/30/2018 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous glass packaging. Pump dispenses the perfect amount of product. The foundation has a very strong, floral scent that lasts throughout the day. I purchased shade 010, the lightest shade available but was still a tad tanner than my natural skin. I thought I could make it work, however after thirty minutes this foundation started to oxidise and turn orange, and continued to get darker throughout the day. It's long lasting and has good moderate coverage, but had a tendency to get quite cakey and uneven. And even with a setting powder or finishing spray the foundation settled into fine lines and holes I didn't even know I had. Just the slightest touch could also cause streaks. Overall, this foundation did not suit my skin tone or type (even though it's supposed to), it made me look and feel sickly. Another thoroughly disappointing product from Dior that I cannot recommend.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This one is one of my top favorites, though not HG material. I love the way this brightens your face and makes skin look not dewy, but with a certain glow. I have oily-normal skin and so i'm always worried about that extra shine factor, but this product stayed true to its formula (which is not for any particular skin type per se), and stayed on very well throughout the day. The color range is pretty good (got mine in linen for light skin tones with yellow undertones) and you can easily build the formula which is about a medium coverage foundation. All in all, this is a very good foundation if you don't mind shelling out a fair amount, but personally, I feel that some drug store brands are at least as good as this if not better for the price.

I have tried a lot of foundations including Estee Lauder Double Wear and Nars but I always come back to Dior. I used Dior Nude when I was younger but I am finding their coverage is not high enough for the sunspots that I have recently accumulated. Dior Star has higher coverage, similar to Nars sheer glow but in a more manageable consistency. I used to love it like it's my hg but a couple of months in, the formula is oxidising. My cheeks will be this tanned orange colour (which sort of still matches my skin colour) but my T zone will be a paler than normal colour. I have even shaken the bottle. I'm almost done. I will try their forever foundation next and if I don't like it then I will hunt for my next hg brand.

So I bought this foundation on a whim on Black Friday. I was searching for that holy grail foundation after never quite finding one that fit. I have tried most drugstore and many many high end. Such as Chanel Les Beiges, most Mac. Kat Von D everlasting, too faced born this way, Estée Lauder double wear and many others.

I have normal/combination skin that can get a little oily on my nose and chin. My skin on the whole is very good, but I have visible redness that I like to cover up. The coverage of this foundation was mediumish, and worked beautifully for me.

I can safely say I’ve never found any I love as much as this, my colour match was perfect, it does not oxidise and blends beautifully with a brush or sponge. It lasted a good 9 hours before I removed it for bed and I had to remove a little on my nose to check it was actually still there as I’d never had one look so gorgeous after a few hours.

I didn’t use primer, set problem areas as usual with a translucent powder and used a setting spray. It looked dewy without being greasy, did not dry out my skin and did not separate on my nose.

Despite the price I would definitely buy again, think I have found my holy grail!

on 11/7/2017 6:52:00 AM

Once I discovered which base this foundation performs best over (e.g. Christian Breton Luxury Diamond) I love it. It stays best when set with a good powder. I have combination skin, but it didn't sink into the pores on my nose at all, a problem I often have, but looked smooth and even. I did use a dab of Givenchy Mister Mat which may have helped. The foundation did however cling to and highlight dry patches that I didn't even know were there, so I wouldn't advise it for dry skin.
The colour range is good. Colours ending in 0 are neutral, 1 yellow undertones, and I am not sure but think 2 and 3 are pink to peachy tones.

on 8/18/2017 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. If I'm not having a good skin day, my dry patches are more visible. In my opinion, it gives a great satin finish but I think I prefer something a bit more dewy. I believe it is possible to find something comparable in the drugstore. My search for my HG foundation continues. I will not repurchase.

on 4/14/2017 10:13:00 AM

Overhyped.Overpriced. I'm a mature-combo skin looking for a light luminous finish that lasts at least 8 hours. This foundation show every single pore or fine line of my well treated face.I heard they call it " selfie foundation" and it's true, put it on your face, take a picture fast and that's it..in half an hour my skin is greasy, not luminous.I tried primers, powders, beauty blend, call Jesus..everything..it just don't work. I think it has medium coverage,buildable,and demi matte finish,NOT luminous.When you buy high end you have high expectations..totally frustate..I live in tropical country. Wish I can finish it during the winter.Too much expensive . And in Brazil ,you can not return in store like USA.For reference, I'm NC 30 and 20 fits well on me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

So I really wanted to love this.. But I dont. Ive tried applying it 3 different ways but it just doesnt sit nicely on my skin. When I first apply it, it looks great. However, after 1-2 hours it bunches up/looks patchy. First I used a silicone primer and a beautyblender (didnt work). Then I used no primer, a bb and settingpowder which hardly made a difference. Finally a waterbased primer, applied with a brush (hell no), removed again and applied with bb and set with powder. All with the same result. Gross seperation on the skin. Not sure what else to do to make this work...

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After running out of this product I realise just how much I love it.
On the rare occasions I get compliments about my skin ( I have terrible skin) I'm always wearing this.
On me it lasts a long time, pretty much all day (7.30am - 11pm) although might have to top nose up in latter part of day. I have extreme combination skin, mild hormonal acne and very open pores on my t-zone. At first I applied it with Diors Beauty Blender equivalent but that didn't stand the time of time compared to my Real Techniques, but both gave a lovely finish.

It is a fairly pricey foundation but defo worth it imo. The pump and packaging are really good, if a little heavy but very durable, defo got dropped and thrown around in handbag a few times.

My only grumble is I was colour matched 20 which I believe is neutral toned whereas I normally lean heavily towards the very pale end of yellow tones, MAC NC15 is my perfect winter shade which I can make make work most of the year with liberal bronzer at a push, bar maybe the height of summer. The assistant was pretty adamant that was my shade and wouldn't really even let me try the others, so I suspect that they have a limited colour range (that said not sure why I put so much trust in a woman with such obvious foundation tidelines) She used the matching machine on the reddest part of my t-zone so maybe that's why? So other than summer I couldn't really use it on my jawline or neck, had to gently feather out and combine with paler foundation around the edges.

Shade and tone aside the formula is wonderful, literally on the button. I would call it matt to satin, medium to full coverage, NOT cakey in the slightest, really subtle and smooth. It melts into the skin. Really importantly gentle on the skin and pores, doesn't break me out at all! Infact makes my skin feel lovely.

By far my favourite stand alone foundation. I could even get away without using a primer.

I just hope I can find a better match next time!