Caron Farnesiana

Caron Farnesiana

3.9

on 1/7/2015 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

In between various other fragrance journeys, I have spent at least two decades subconsciously gravitating towards some sort of Cassie scent. I have a tiny bit of original vintage (mid century) farnesiana, which to me smells like Caron's homage to Cassie along the structural lines of Guerlain's Le Heure Bleue vintage extrait which I have read was reputedly more animalic and less powdery than subsequent modern iterations. My vintage Farnesiana is deeper and darker, with incense and animalic. It's not as vanilla as the modern extrait. (Caron's later Montaigne extrait, that I used to wear years ago, is an homage to Cassie and to Farnesiana. And, after experimenting briefly with Etro (Etro Heliotrope is IMO much sweeter, more powdery and singlemindedly heliotrope almond) and some other fragrances, I eventually found my way to Frederic Malle's Une Fleur de cassie, which is perhaps my true desert island grail fragrance. UFdC was reformulated; it is not the same, though I have bought reformulated versions and hoard the remainder of my original). UFdC is the modern version of farnesiana IMO, more even than current Farnesiana extrait.

Original vintage Farnesiana somehow seamlessly and gracefully melds disparate elements: hints of animalic (no indoles though); yellow floral freshness; and moist powdery dry down. It's not sharp, overtly aldehydic, or throat parchingly powdery vanilla as modern LHB, though I do think of Farnesiana as the precursor to today's overly sweetened gourmands.

To me, if money were no object, and I could source a steady supply, vintage Farnesiana would be an ideal winter fragrance. The more modern Farnesiana extrait that I bought a few years ago is also wonderful. It is slightly less animalic and a tiny bit sweeter and more one dimensional, in comparison to the vintage. My modern. Farnesiana extrait, and my newer bottles of UFdC also open with a slight cardboard aspect (that I think other reviewers have interpreted as a play doh aspect) but this diminishes as it dries down. It is certainly not the loud play doh of People of the Labyrinth fragrance that was very popular a few years ago. I should add that I never got a cardboard aspect from original UFdC, and Malle has confirmed in official media interviews that UFdC was reformulated.

Malle's eau d' hiver is more of an homage to Guerlain (I am assuming LHB), but even though it has iris, it also makes me think of the density of Farnesiana somehow. But perhaps it's because both are scents that people tend to reach for when they want something cosy and comforting for colder weather.

on 1/8/2013 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I loved the topnotes and the beautiful almond fragrance this becomes. It doesn't seem remotedly dated or powdery to me. This review is for the current (2012) urn parfum.

on 1/11/2012 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I'm officially in love with this perfume. It smells complex, delicious, ever-changing. The lasting power is great and it's highly unique. (The initial notes are slightly strident and scary, but pass quickly. Don't scrub before 10-20 minutes have passed.)

Wore Frederic Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie on the same day. They are different takes on the same theme. UFdC is more sophisticated, "couture", but fades quickly. Farnesiana is foodier and more almondy, more lulling and feminine. I like them both but Farnesiana would be my pick - I feel it becomes one with my skin..

Farnesiana and Chanel's Coromandel are the most delicious-smelling perfumes I've come across. Will get a full bottle, and it will probably last a long time, a shame that this great perfume is so difficult to source.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Though I generally love almond/heliotrope/mimosa fragrances, I found this unappealingly dated. To me it smelled like a 1930s hatbox. Oh well.

on 8/22/2010 1:38:00 AM

I can imagine how groundbreaking and controversial Farnesiana must have been when originally launched. Certainly there were plenty of heliotrope and mimosa-centered fragrances, but I have yet to smell one from the era that was unquestionably gourmand. Certainly the Acacia farnensiana accord is present, but framed to create on the drydown, the fragrance of fresh angel food cake. As it further ages, it goes through powdery marzipan and sugared almonds, ending in a dust of soft, sweet powder.

I own many fragrances featuring almond, mimosa and heliotrope. It's less almondy-floral than scents like Etro Heliotrope or Crown Heliotrope, more rich that Jour le Fete or Teint de Neige, and less overtly foodie than Loukhoum, Rahat Loukhoum and the like. Farnesiana is truly a classic.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Hello everyone. I have a vintage bottle of this, the same one as pictured with its original box. There is some of the original perfume remaining in the bottle, its dark and syrupy now, which I rather like in vintage perfumes ( I usually add a couple drops of fractionated coconut carrier oils to help it blend better and get rid of that old lady smell that vintages often get). The scent is sweet and floral, I can smell the mimosa and another flower, the soft powder that is comforting, and a little medicinal smell, but for me it has an undertone of ---play doh! It has a nice drydown that stays sweet like vanilla and almond. Mmm marzipan maybe?

I would love to try the new formulation, but if it differs greatly from the original, I may not like it.

on 11/10/2008 11:46:00 PM

Not a favorite of the Caron line. It's just too flowery sweet. Maybe the vintage was different.

All I can say is, I tried. I ordered a sample based on reviews, but the sumptuous gourmand scent I expected was not what was in that little vial. It was something more like…I don’t know. I can’t even describe it. There are no words for what this is. It was weird, though. And not in a good way. Weirdly bad, and after an hour I had to try and scrub it off. Wonder of wonders, it came off—fragrances you don’t like never fade when you try to wash them off so I’ll give it a lippie for that. There.

on 9/29/2008 4:29:00 PM

Love, love, love this powdery gourmand that several MUA fragrance board ladies recommended to me. According to the Caron Web site, its a mimosa-based scent. I will definitely purchase a full bottle this year!

on 9/25/2008 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I can only speak for the extrait version as that is the only version i have tried. It is an intense softer version of Etro's Heliotrope and yes, i agree with Paschat i smell the Rahat Lakhoum type scent in this (as i did with Etro's heliotrope).

The dry down is lovely and it is a subtle version of Teint de Neige (which i find too powdery). If you like softer heliotrope scents like L'Artisan's Jour de Fete or Etro's Heliotrope then the extrait of Farnesiana is worth trying. Now i have to track down the EDP version to compare.....

Popular Fragrances