Real Techniques Mini Trio Brush Set

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Mini Foundation Brush -
Surprisingly soft, as I found both the full size foundation brushes that came in the full sized kits too prickly to use on my sensitive skin. They were also too small to actually apply foundation. This mini is even smaller than those, so even more silly to call it a foundation brush, but it can be used for cream blush, cream highlighter and cream contour, also applying concealer just above and below the brows and under/outside the outer corner of the eyes to clean up and define those areas. I see it as a brush you have to think to find a use for, I would have preferred an eye liner or lip liner brush.

Eye Shader Brush -
This is sharp and prickly, I can not use it on my sensitive eyes as it hurts, especially when I use it end on in the crease or detailing the outer corner. It is a good multi-purpose shape though.

Face Brush -
Its a dense fluffy powder brush that is smaller than I expected from the promo pictures. When I use it as a blush brush or powder brush I get a patchy result - because the head is too dense and small I get a concentration of color in one spot that is hard to blend out. This also feels too sharp and prickly on my face, although it feels ok on my hand. I'm really disappointed in this brush.

OVERALL -
Two of the brushes are scratchy and unusable, one is so small its hard to think up a use for. I have other mini brush sets I've brought for 1/3 the price that are far softer on my skin. However, if you don't have sensitive skin you might think they're fine.

The handles are very short which isn't normally a problem for me as I have other tiny brushes that are just as short and work fine for me. However the aluminium handles are SO light that they feel too hard to control. Its as though I am holding nothing in my hand.

They feel so flimsily made I wouldn't trust them to through a trip away.

I think these are overpriced and feel the value is more in the Real Techniques Single Face Brushes and Face Brush Kits. Not wild about these or the Basic Eye Kit.

on 8/15/2014 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The bristles are soft, well made, and doesn't shed. I use the shading brush as an eyeshadow and concealer brush. I use the foundation brush to apply my contour cream and cream brush. I use the face brush to apply liquid or cream foundation, powder blush, and face powder.I bought this from Ulta and it retails for $9.99. I bought this to put in my purse for everyday use. I would repurchase if lost or damaged.

Popular Makeup Brushes