Diptyque L Ombre Dans L Eau

Diptyque L Ombre Dans L Eau

3.8

on 11/1/2015 12:59:00 AM

I have a 15 ml manufacturers spray vial of LODdE one of five EdPs in a holiday coffret. It's sharp, thin, green, more like a fragrance for the home than an EdP. A bit screechy in the opening, reminiscent of the far less expensive Perfumers workshop Tea Rose. Since I like three of the other fragrances, namely, Eau Duelle, Philosokos and Tam Dao, and can give Do Son away to a friend who likes Tuberose, I don't mind using this as a room fragrance.

I assume stellar reviews of this fragrance are pre reformulations, but I have the most recent one and have never sampled the original. The latest reformulation EdP fades very fast on me. It's not olfactory fatigue (since I have many other rose fragrances in my roster). rather, I assume the reformulation lacks oak moss which would have acted as a fixative to prolong the scent. I prefer not to spray on cloth as I rotate my fragrances. And, although I am a dabber and dislike sillage, the fleeting quality of this scent is a negative.

Until about a year ago, I loathed all rose accords. Now I cannot get enough. But in comparison to the following, the current formulation of LODdE falls very short.
FM Une Rose - my reference rose
L'artisan Voleur de roses - favorite unsweetened plum patchouli rose, prefer vintage older bottle, but last reformulation before this was discontinued is acceptable.
Tauerville Rose Flash, Tauer Rose Vermeille -favorite gourmand rose, RV reads as a greener, lighter, less sweet rose on my skin. Don't bother unles you definitively like rose and gourmand scents.
Tauer Phi Une rose de Kandahar - dark gourmand suitable even for non rose lovers. dry down marginally more rosy and is not as arid dry powder as Amouage Lyric woman or SL Fumerie Turque. Vanilla Flash is similar to FT but better IMO in that VF has more rose.
Original Ungaro diva EdP - favorite honeyed Amber Rose, not gourmand
Nahema extrait - unique, acquired taste, operatic rose, not a blind buy, even for rose lovers
Or et Noir Vintage 1950s extrait - favorite rose that I can no longer find.
L'arte di Gucci vintage EdP - gothic rose
Narcisco Rodriguez musc oil for her, original formulation, skin scent musk rose
Zino davidoff - citric rose for men, unisex IMO
Egoiste, vintage - woody rose for men, unisex
FM POAL, Lalique perles de Lalique - cedar rose patchouli
Caron Nuit de Noel, extrait and EdT - lush, gorgeous, rose as a secondary player in ensemble of other accords.

on 9/2/2015 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I realized that it L'Ombre Dans L'Eau smells similar like on of those room fragrance.
I used to love Philosykos, but after a while ii's just too sweet and overwhelming for me. The other one, has another kind of sweet smell. I agree both of them are grassy, but I think L'Ombre is way more lovable.

This is my current favorite, I don't put too much attention on perfumes, but I'm gonna stick to this one cuz it's just "easy-going" for everyday.

To Read all 99 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/29/2014 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Unfortunately this smells too green and sharp on my skin. Ahhh chemistry!

Really sweet and really fruity. Smells cheaper than it is. I blind bought it and now really wish Id tried it in a shop first...

This stuff puts me in a happy place instantly. Jaw droppingly gorgeous scent. The tomato notes and hint of dirt and rose blow me away. And the packaging is so posh.

on 3/23/2014 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

L'Ombre Dans L'eau ("Shadow in the water") was named for the reflection of the blackcurrant bush upon a tranquil pool and that epitomizes this scent. It opens with a very cold, icy burst of rose and lots of greenery. Those who have entered a forest after the rain know this fragrance well. Gradually the blackcurrant leaves come out along with some cassis. While all diptyque scents are unisex, I truly find this to be very masculine (which is not necessarily a bad thing, I wear some men's scents) and much too green for my tastes. While I would not wear it, I find L'Ombre to be a very beautiful blend of notes and yes, if you love the Baies candle, this is essentially the same scent.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is one of my most favourite ever rose fragrances, and one of my favourite fragrances full stop. It's a poetic, green, juicy, leafy, glorious scent that has never stopped moving me with every sniff. I wore it to the ballet once - taken by a boyfriend. We stayed at the house of one of his affluent friends; it was a white guest room. The bathrooms were marbled and the whole ceilings rained with warm shower water, and before we left I sprayed my sample of L'Ombre dans L'eau and bottled that night.

Somehow, though I was in the audience rather than a dancer, I feel like this is a scent for ballerinas. Ballerinas who also write love letters and carry books on architecture in Cambridge satchels.

Of the notes, rose is most prominent. I don't mean to speak in cliches but many parfumers aspire to create the scent of water on velvety petals, and here that's been achieved. The secret garden theme continues with a sappy stem thrown in the mix, plus crushed black currant leaves.

L'Ombre dans l'eau is a Spring scent. Good all year around, but it encapsulates Spring. It's hard to believe this was created in 1983, when it retains such timelessness.

on 12/20/2013 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I wanted so much for this to work on me because the air around me smells good after I spritz this on, but it smells horrible once it touches my skin. It's decidedly masculine and cologne-like, and loses all the rose and blackcurrant notes it's supposed to have. It also fades quickly. So, I guess I'm going to have to use up my sample as a room spray... sigh.

on 7/8/2013 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Okay, I ordered this online fully expecting it to live up to its stellar reviews. Being madly in love with Eau Duelle, I was certain that I could not go wrong with Dyptique. How mind numbingly stupid. Whilst perusing Neiman Marcus, I came across the entire Dyptique collection. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau was interesting and intense right out of the bottle, however, it didn't take long for me to realize that it was not anything close to what I'd been hoping for. Cloying doesn't even begin to describe it; it was like being punched in the face with a bowl of potpourri straight out of 1980's excess. Hell. No. As others have commented, I could totally see this as an amazing candle, room spray or even a bath gel. However, this is simply too much for a fragrance, unless the idea is to completely assault surrounding company, or beat your sense of smell into a flat lined submission.

I ran home and cancelled the order. Months later, I'm still trying to get that refund...

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

As a bath gel, this drives me wild. It is stridently green, the smell of shoving your face into crushed stems. Its simplicity and radiance makes it a little "in your face" for perfume. Get the bath gel instead, for a wonderful twist on the "envigorating morning shower".

Popular Fragrances