Makeup Revolution Eye Shadow Palettes

Makeup Revolution  Eye Shadow Palettes

3.6

on 4/16/2016 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've revelled in the pigmented, alchemical delights of many of the top brands since my early teens. And now I discover Makeup Revolution, no misnomer for me.

Pros

I care about how makeup can enhance me, not packaging:
but if you care for such things, the packaging of these palettes is beautiful, weighty, shuts nicely and firmly, looks expensive, feels expensive & luxurious.

The pigmentation:
is very good and far better than Bobbi Brown, whose pigmentation I despair of in eye shadows. And of course Bobbi is far, far more expensive, overcharges I think to an absurd extent for what one gets.

The wear:
For me all day, even under my eyes which can fall out after application, look very messy etc.
These last all day with me and stay nicely in place and don't seem to highlight any incipient lines either.

The colour choice:
Beautiful and extensive.

Price
Dirt cheap, they're almost giving them away, equivalent to a cheap, supermarket box of chocolates and sometimes cheaper than a chocolate bar when on offer, such as a recent offer of a gorgeous palette for £3.

I bought two palettes, the Ultra 32 shade Eyeshadow Palette, Flawless Matte £8 and the Ultra 32 shade Eyeshadow Palette, Beyond Flawless £8 and so now to last me for years. These have delighted me. They're both gorgeous and I certainly won't need to buy eyeshadow from anyone else, no matter what the gimmick of the high end brands, these feel luxurious, look luxurious - one can spoil oneself - & one's friends, for less than a quarter of other brands.

Edit: To all who wish to get value for money for their beauty pounds, I've noticed that many high end makeup palettes and other beauty products have their almost exact counterpoints made by makeup revolution at less than a quarter of the so called luxury brands. We all know that luxury is a perception rather than a tangible bonus, a perception that costs one 100% mark up at Bond Street retailers & other prestigious locations in London, meaning that one pays merely for the idea of luxury & prestige. Does the idea that you have paid 100% mark up on the true cost of a product make you feel happier or look prettier? My experience is that makeup revolution offers very similar products without this very greedy mark up in price, as do quite a few other manufacturers.

on 9/3/2015 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Review for Iconic 3 and Romantic Smoked

Background:
I have the Too Faced Chocolate Bar and was really liking how Strawberry Bon Bon looked and wanted to get into more matte looks (aside from the browns that I already had) to add to the Strawberry or even for different looks, like a taupe matte eye. I looked up some Makeup Revolution palettes and the swatches looked amazing. I decided the essential mattes were too blue so I was eyeing the Romantic Smoked. But when I went to the store, I wasn't impressed with how the pigmentation looked through the window. I ended up getting a few Nyx matte shades instead.

I kept looking at the swatches though, and in the pictures online, the palette looked drab compared to the nice swatches in peoples images, so maybe they just applied better than they looked. But some swatches looked really dull and powdery. I had to know for myself, so I got the Romantic Smoked and also picked up Iconic 3, since I realllly love some of the shades I've swatched in Naked 3, but wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. *I eventually got it.*

ICONIC 3 Shades and Comparison:

1 - a white based matte neutral, really chalky, UD Strange way better, TF White Ch. even better than those.

2 - super glimmery pink shimmer (compare to UD Dust) They're not too different. Honestly neither are so finely milled.

3 - a reddish pink shimmer. This disappointed me a lot. Not at all like UD Burnout which was one of the shades I wanted. They might look similar in photos, but they aren't. This one is just basic and chunky. Burnout is FAR lighter and actually pink which matters for neutral looks.

4 - a soft taupe matte, NOTHING LIKE UD Limit!! This is the other really disappointing shade for me, I really wanted a soft PINK matte that was more taupey than my Strawberry, but this is just flat and DARK. I feel like this is the reason I bought this palette so to have it fall short is really disappointing. Again, totally changes the look when used as a lid color over Limit.

5 - a really glittery RED
6 - a really glittery gold
These two, they are not dupes color wise, way harsher and almost darker but in my opinion they are too chunky with glitter. These are shades I probably wouldn't wear in this palette so I don't pay much attention to them. They're far better in Naked.

7 - this shade is pretty much a darker shade 4, kind of like how Nooner is to Limit, but again a brown base. I actually like it in real life more than how it photographs. There's a slight rose color to this, slight. Still not pinky though.

8 - this is a brown copper shimmer, but Liar is far nicer, less bronzey/more pink.

9 AND 10 - two pretty taupe satins. I like these shades, but they didn't even TRY to make two shades. Like, I can not tell them apart. At least not without squinting and looking super close in direct sunlight. Some swatchers got them to show differently. Idk if it's just my palette but that means the consistency between palettes might not be so stringent. Both are more like Mugshot. Factory is browner (which is funny, because Iconic has a record of being the browner toned one) And it's pretty identical to the #2 from the Romantic Smoked palette as well.

11 - complete and total winner of this palette. This is a violet shifted satiny taupe. It reminds me of Jane Passionflower but the blue tones are stronger in this one. I actually PREFER it over Darkside! Better in person. The shimmer does fall away though.

12 - a *black* with pink shimmer overlay, it's not burgundy. Looks cheaper to me than Blackheart. Not a color dupe for BFT (Too Faced) either, but less fallout. The shimmer does wear off, blends greyish.

ROMANTIC SMOKED:

1 - glimmery white. Wears off quickly

2 - a rosey taupe shimmer, similar to Iconic 3 shades 9 & 10.

3 - shimmery light pink, very similar to #2 from Iconic 3

4 - a golden olive shimmer

5 - a shimmer lilac

6 - a shimmer rust red, not super dark, copper shift, but less brown than TF Amaretto

7 - a matte pink beige? this one is pretty underpigmented. If you REALLY rub you get a violet taupe that you wouldn't expect, but good luck applying that.

8 - matte clay brown, very dull. Like no one would like this color.

9 - a pretty medium matte orchid. I like this one.

10 - a weak black matte

11 - another bummer, looks aubergine in other pics, mine is a dark grey. Hard.

12 - a peach matte. It has a nice color but all the mattes in this are super hard. It is better IRL though, as it blends into my skin in pics.

Overview:

Formula wise, I'm disappointed. Half of them are pigmented well but the shimmer can hide the colors, so the finished product looks one dimensional and a bit childish. The colors could be more unique too; they take the cheap way out in making a lot of colors really similar in base color, (brown/grey) especially the Iconic 3. The glitter shades have bad fallout, the mattes can be really chalky and hard. The shimmers are finer milled in the Romantic palette, but again a bit over done. There is crease wear with these. I wouldn't call Iconic a "Dupe" for the Naked at all, it applies and looks cheaper, less bright in some ways but too dark in others, less adult. I've made nice simple looks with these but I the variety is less than it appears.

I replaced the brushes. Of course the price is great but cheap prices only excite me if the quality is worth it. I dislike having palettes if most of the colors are useless. I only *really like* about one color from each, I'm ok with a few colors but they aren't so exotic and new to me and only use them because it's easy to grab these. But I *hate* a good third of the colors. I didn't return these when I could and but now that I have Naked 3 I kind of wish I did. There are some pros. I like that I could travel with it easily and have variety and if it breaks it's no big. They're workable and affordable if you're new to makeup, but if not you probably won't like the

on 7/7/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have gotten 3 palettes from Makeup Revolution so far - Iconic Pro 1 & 2 (dupes for the Lorac Pro palettes) and the I Heart Chocoale (dupe for Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette).
I wanted all three of the original palettes. That would have cost me $133. The three palettes from Makeup Revolution cost me $34.26 plus shipping. All three for less than the cost of one palette.
These are all beautiful. Buttery, creamy, pigmented, blend beautifully, last all day. I can't rave enough about how great the quality of these are. I know I'm not missing out at all by buying these dupes. I would absolutely recommend these to anyone looking to save some money, or just looking for some beautiful shadows in general.
I ordered from their website - paying international shipping to the United States was a little pricey but completely worth it. Now they have a small selection available at Ulta, at least online - I don't know if these are in store as well. Hopefully they will expand their collection and be more easily available in the states. However, shipping from their website was quick and the products came wrapped well and protected.
Highly highly recommend. I adore this company!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to own the Naked 3 Palette and can count on one hand the amount of times I used it. I was never impressed with the colours (too pink and purple hued) the fallout (glitter EVERYWHERE) and the quality (either too chalky or too glittery). As a result I sold it and decided to try some of the cheaper eyeshadow palettes on the market, figuring that if I didn't like those at least I wouldn't have spent 30+ on one. And the Makeup Revolution Redemption Palette Iconic 3 was one of the first I went for...

Yes it's a dupe for the Naked 3, but in my opinion it's far superior. There's barely any fallout, the glitter/shimmer in this is much finer meaning your face doesn't end up looking like you've been mugged by Tinkerbell, and the shades are much more subtle so it doesn't make your eyelids looked bruised or washed out (which I found the Naked 3 had a tendency to do). The other added bonus is this costs 4.00, which is 34.00 cheaper than the Naked 3. And it performs better.

In my opinion it's a no brainer - if you want to try the Urban Decay, Too Faced, Stila etc palettes but can't afford their prices/don't want to pay their prices, try the Makeup Revolution palettes instead. They're cheaper, available in most branches of Superdrug in the UK and they won't break the bank. And you can buy 9 of these for the cost of one Urban Decay palette. 'Nuff said!

on 10/13/2014 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Bought four Makeup Revolution palettes now and they are absolutely amazing! I gave away my Urban Decay Naked palette as I really wasn't impressed with it, I certainly won't be giving these beauties away. The pigmentation is to die for, colours are gorgeous, packaging classy and prices are unbelievable! If you do one thing this week, buy a Makeup Revolution palette.

on 4/26/2015 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Update: after using these a while, I have found I really dislike the texture of the shimmery shades. they are heavy, as someone put it, almost slimey (many may read this as "buttery" but I don't), and tend towards frost. Of the Iconic Pro 2 palette, which I depotted, only 2 out of 8 shimmery shades were non-frosted enough for me to bother keeping. For depotters, the matte shades are *exceedingly* fragile, moreso than the shimmers, depot with extreme care and heat only. Both the Iconic and Iconic Pro palette outer cases are decent quality, as a side note, if you don't damage them while depotting they make great sturdy freeform palettes - just stick magnetic sheeting into them. I would not repurchase these again. If you can find a 90-100% matte palette they may be worth checking out but these shimmery and mixed palettes have proven to be a bust for me.

I recently acquired the Iconic 3 and Iconic Pro 2 palettes from MUR, they are my first experience with the brand. I had been lemming Urban Decay's Naked 3 palette for a while but the 50 price tag here always gave me pause. I do already own the original UD Naked 1, owned and gave away the UD Naked 2, and also own the original LORAC Pro palette, as a background.

For the price (5), the Iconic 3 palette has a better value to performance ratio than Urban Decay. That being said, I would not say the textures are across the board good - several of the glittery shades felt gritty to me, and had some fallout. From what I hear on the boards, they are still *superior* to the original UD Naked3 palette, but just judged on their own merits, I would not call the texture "good" - simply "decent" - even for a drugstore brand. The more finely milled shimmers, all but the lightest of the mattes, and in general the darker colours in the palette, perform much better and are smooth and easy to use, not too hard, and not too soft. The shadows do apply wonderfully over a primer (I use WnW Fergie), but they lose a bit of their intensity over the course of the day (maybe 5 or more hours? I never timed it exactly.) I can't complain about that for the price, though.

Compared to MUR's own Iconic Pro 2 palette, the textures of the Iconic 3 palette are definitely not as good, particularly in the intensity and performance of the matte shades. That's not to say they're bad, but if you "had" to make a choice between their 5 palette and their 10 palette, the quality definitely shines though on the "more expensive" palette. But who are we kidding here. For these prices, you can get almost their entire range and still not reach the price of a single Urban Decay or LORAC palette.

Specifically on the colour range, and I suppose this could also apply to UD Naked 3 or any of the various dupes out there - I took two points off because I feel the colour composition lacks enough contrast to create more than a just a few similar looks for my NC25 skin. This was not the case with the Naked 1 & 2 palettes, so it really is a critique of the colour choices in the palette. For those looking for an alternative and not hung up on the idea of duping the N3, I believe the Iconic Dreams palette has a similar selection of rose mauves, while also packing in a wider variety of olives and warmer shades in as well. It's the same price and something I wish I had gotten instead of the Iconic 3, to be honest, as it condenses the many "same" shades in Iconic 3 into just one half of the Dreams palette. I did put one point back on because for the price, I can't really complain about lack of variety, AND it is a straight up Urban Decay dupe, not an original composition of MUR artists.

For those concerned about ingredient quality, the company is based in the UK, but the palettes are produced in China, hence why they are so cheap. COSDNA doesn't raise any red flags on the ingredient list, but like any budget brand, YMMV - as another reviewer said, test these carefully first before you buy the whole kit and kaboodle. If they do happen to work for you, however, these shadows are a steal.

NB: For you streamliners and depotters out there, the packaging of this is actually quite good. I know some people find it cheap, but I find it efficient - for me no mirror is a bonus, it saves on cost and I never use those anyway. The clear plastic top lets you immediately see what colours you have, the plain black plastic housing is thin and not gaudy, and the shadows are efficiently packed with no wasted space. You could depot these, but you don't have to because the packaging is smart. I only wish they didn't even bother to include the brush slot, personally. :P

RUN BOY RUN PALETTE

I tend to prefer my mid-end eyeshadow palettes over drugstore ones, but today I decided to reach for this one for a lid color. I tried to contour my outer V with the darkest shade in my Lorac Unzipped palette, but the color was so sheer and powdery I gave up and went with the dark brown shade in this palette. I couldn't believe how pigmented it is! The shimmery shadows almost have a gel-like texture that makes them stick to the lid so much better than other formulas I've tried, and the mattes are subtle but perfect as transition shades. I'm very happy with the look I came up with, and I didn't need to use any other palette.

Don't underestimate this brand because it's drugstore, everything I own from them works terrifically, save for a dud here and there. This palette is amazing, I recommend it to all neutral lovers.

on 5/18/2015 5:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought Makeup Revolution Iconic 3 palette after hearing rumors that its UD Naked 3 Dupe. Oh man, turns out it really is! I'm going to sell away my Naked palettes! It's pigmented and has very little fall-out. The other "heap" eyeshadow palettes I own is from Sleek. Well, i can stop buying Sleek from now on. Makeup Revolution is way cheaper and not as chalky as Sleek. Can't wait to try Iconic 1 & 2 as well as Heart Chocolate which I heard is an exact dupe of TOO Faced Chocolate Bar.

on 8/11/2014 5:22:00 PM

I have several MUR palettes including eye and blush. They do amazing UD dupes and all are extremely pigmented and blend beautifully. I am a Chanel, Nars and Laura Mercier nutt and didn't think any drugstore brand could rival any of my fave products....I was wrong!!!!!!! Their lipsticks are moisturising don't bleed and are true to shade. Blushers and highlighters deliver just as higher end brands, they blend brilliantly and the colour payoff is excellent. This brand is amazing and produce products to rival and exceed those sold by established high end brands. Prices start from £1 so try you have nothing to loose and I doubt you'll be disappointed!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I own several Makeup Revolution palettes. My order of best (what I use the most) to worst (what I never pick up) of what I own:

1) Salvation Palette "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" ($10.00)
2) Salvation Palette "Girls On Film" ($10.00)
3) Salvation Palette "Dia de Los Muertos" ($10.00)
4) Neutrals vs New-trals ($15.00)
5) Iconic Mattes Redemption palette ($7.00)
6) Chocolate Bar "Chocolate Vice" ($15.00)
7) Salvation Palette "What You Waiting For?" ($10.00)
8) Chocolate Bar "Death by Chocolate" ($15.00)
9) Salvation Palette "Colour Chaos" ($10.00)--untried
10) Chocolate Bar "Peaches and Chocolate" ($15.00)--untried
11) Unicorns Are Real Redemption Palette ($7.00)

Okay, so more than a few. I adore the Salvation palettes; each has six matte and twelve shimmer eyeshadow shades and they are all easy to use and show a good range of color. The matte shades can be powdery but I just knock off the excess before I apply it to my eyelid. I have never had any fallout from the shimmers when I do this, either. Regarding the shimmer eyeshadows: the shimmer is not finely milled. Don't expect Juvia's Place quality here. The effect is what might be called somewhat 'flakey' in a nail polish: I can see varying sizes of reflective shimmer from fine to plainly visible and irregular. If I had any complaint about Makeup Revolution's eyeshadows, this would be it. It's obviously not a big enough issue for me to not purchase more palettes, lol. Salvation palettes also have a large mirror, a space for a brush (they come with a double-tipped sponge applicator), and a sturdy case that closes securely. To my knowledge, the Salvation e/s palettes are not dupes for any other h/e palettes.

The Redemption palettes each have twelve shades; the finish depends on the palette. The Iconic Pro 1, 2, and 3 dupe the UD Naked 1, 2, and 3 palettes. Redemption Smokey dupes UD Naked Smoke (and is slightly more expensive), and the Redemption Essential Mattes dupes Naked Basics 1 and 2. I love the Essential Mattes palette--if I took one neutral palette with me when traveling, this would be it-- but the eyeshadows in the Unicorns Are Real palette are hit or miss for me. I bought the Unicorns palette for the lovely pink and copper shadows and the copper one is great but the pink one needs a lot of building to get decent color. The blue colors are inconsistent. I should have saved my money and purchased the Unicorns Unite Salvation Palette instead of the Unicorns are Real Redemption palette.

The Chocolate Bar palettes are fun and dupe TF Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet, and Sweet Peach palettes. I haven't used them enough to say whether or not I feel like they justify the price but so far their quality has been consistent with that in my Salvation palettes so I'm enjoying them.

The New-trals vs. Neutrals palette is also a good one for traveling. I feel like the top row (new-tral) is warmer while the bottom (neutral) is more taupe-y. I found the matte shades in this palette to be slightly better than those in the Salvation palettes, and the shimmers are of similar quality.

All in all, I enjoy every one of my Makeup Revolution palettes. I think eyeshadows is one of the areas where this brand shines and their palettes are fun and easy to use with a wide selection of colors. Even the worst of the eyeshadow palettes outshines those Maybelline Nudes palettes by a mile--and at a lower price, too.