Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo

Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo

4.1

Water (Aqua), Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Vinegar, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Niacin, Dextran, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Caramel, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract *Certified Organic Ingredient*

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I don't shampoo my hair too often, so I like to use something a little heavy duty to get rid of any build up, but still need it to be sulfate free since I have a brazilian blowout. This is great for that. I love the scent (smells like play-doh) but I can see how someone might not enjoy it. I might repurchase one day, but I plan on trying Kinky Curly Come Clean next. Would still recommend though.

on 3/16/2019 10:19:00 PM

I have 2b/c hair. this shampoo didn't make my hair grow noticeably faster but it helped with softeners and shine. it is a little on the oily side (potential for build up or to weigh down)

on 11/19/2018 5:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My mom is Caucasian with 2A hair and I am biracial (mixed with African American/Caucasian) with 2C/3A hair and we both love this shampoo. I actually started using this first and then bought a bottle for my mom. She thought the brand was only for a particular race of people and that Shea Moisture products would be "too heavy" or "too rich" for her oily, nearly straight hair. However, I've explained to her and broken down that hair type is how we should care for hair, not based on ethnicity. Now that she's gotten rid of her sulfate-filled, ultra-drying cheap drugstore shampoo and tried Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo, she LOVES Shea Moisture. I urge others to not limit their beauty options because they think a brand is for a certain demographic. Whether you're white, black, Hispanic, Asian, or Arab, you probably will find a Shea Moisture shampoo that will benefit your hair type. Better yet, no matter your race you will probably find that not using sulfate-filled shampoos alone will benefit your hair.

I shampoo using Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo every 2 days. This shampoo does such a good job at NOT drying and stripping hair of natural oils that I don't even use a conditioner after (something I couldn't do before). I have soft baby fine, non-color treated, healthy, low density hair, so I actually follow this shampoo with argan oil once I get out of the shower (I basically use the LOC method, just without the cream... so I guess the LO method lol). I seal in the water (aka moisture) with a small amount of lightweight argan oil and let my hair air-dry, and all is well. I don't use heat on my hair, but IF I did I would follow my argan oil with a silicone like It's A 10 Miracle Leave In (the silicones help coat your hair and protect it from heat damage... You might have to use a clarifying sulfate shampoo more often if you use silicone products).

Just as a side note, because I live in an area with VERY hard water I do have to clarify my hair once every two weeks. I can tell all the minerals from the water build up on my hair and it starts looking dry for no reason. I shampoo with VO5 Kiwi Lime Shampoo and then I can tell it's back to normal and receiving moisture. Depending on your area's water type you might have to do the same. But for a daily, biweekly, or weekly shampoo, most hair types will do well with Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo.

I accidentally ended with 2 big bottles of this do have given it many many chances because I hate wasting stuff but I Just. Hate it
It leaves my hair greasy - first day is bearable but day number 2 I look like I’m badly in need of a wash . I usually have no problems washing every other day . I guess life is too short to keeping using bad shampoo

on 7/3/2018 7:40:00 AM

I bought this shampoo as I was looking for something with castor oil in it - ready about how it helps with hair growth - and as I saw all the great reviews went for it. I have quite dry hair, naturally, and also because of using hair straighteners a lot. I used for a year Davines products and they really brought my dehydrated hair back to life. This product although instantly seems to make my hair soft it actually leaves them drier but at the same time oily and heavy too. Maybe it’s the clarifying effect but I ended up getting really dry hair setting back all the progress I made with Davines. I am not going to use this anymore on a weekly basis but maybe once a month for clarifying purposes, going back to Davines shampoo which is great for dehydrated hair.

on 5/17/2018 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Since September I've been on a healthy hair journey and my curls love this. My hair does not tend to fall out as much with this, feels stronger and just overall nice and clean! It smells nice too...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

My teenage son has dandruff, oily hair, and very sensitive skin. We tried Nizoral, T-sal, Head and Shoulders, etc. and nothing was helping. This however has pretty much cleared his dandruff completely and leaves his naturally blonde/fine but abundant/slightly wavy hair soft and shiny. And the best part is that it makes his hair smell really fresh!

I, however, wasn't a fan (which is how he came to try it). My hair is similar but damaged from highlighting and coloring. It made my hair super frizzball and broke out the back of my neck/behind my ears/hairline. I Can't use any SM products because they have so much coconut oil and break me out.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I currently own both the original and current version that's out now. A lot of Shea Moisture products have been reformulated. My review is based only on the original versionand how it actually worked in my hair, because I have not had chance to try the new version yet. Once I use up my old bottles then I will. Overall, I would consider this to be a good shampoo if you regularly use products that have natural butters and oils in them in your hair on a daily basis. I am one of those people, so even though this cleanser provides a deeper cleanse than any of the Shea Moisture shampoos that I have tried before, it doesn't leave my hair overly stripped and feeling like straw after I use it, which makes it a very decent shampoo to use on a weekly basis if needbe. Also based upon the ingredients in it, I do consider this to be a shampoo that can help to a degree with scalp disorders that some people are plagued with (as I personally suffer with scalp eczema myself). Or, for some people it can be used as a once a month clarifying shampoo as desired.

I say give it a try, and if it doesn't work as well for you as you had hoped, just bring it back and get a refund. Which is why, I always recommend holding on to your receipts, because whenever you try a new product on your hair, things can either go real good, or unfortunately things can go real bad. That's just the reality when it comes to hair care products, period.

on 3/8/2018 8:56:00 PM

I have naturally curly brown hair with 75% gray and it grows like a weed, which sounds great until you realize the roots show in no time. Plus, I'm a runner and work out every other day and need to shampoo. My hair is a frizzy, dried out mess from the beating it takes. I went sulfate free a while ago (used L'Oreal line--which was okay) but decided to try paraben free, silicone free-at the urging of my daughter, who has gorgeous, curly long hair and who insisted that I can roll back time despite the coloring process if I did (love her!). So far I really, really like it and am kind of shocked by the quick result. (two weeks). Doesn't lather much, but already my hair is softer, fuller and my pre-color curls are back well defined instead of frizzy. I use this with the Shea Moisture Leave In Conditioner (wrote a separate review for that) and Deva Curl Deep Sea Repair (also reviewed). I think the other two are doing their part, so wanted to mention that. At this price, which is high but not crazy high, I think using this with the matching conditioner is worth trying.

on 7/9/2017 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I actually am really liking this a lot. I was super hesitant but for some reason, I took the recommendation from someone to try it. I haven't liked sulfate free in the past, but I did like other things from this brand.

I understand needing to get used to SF. I've been using this for over a month and I still get the build up that people say will go away in time. But my hair feels much better already, softer and more manageable and the ends are less dry. I thought the castor would make this too sticky and thick but it's not bad at all. I feel clean after using it, but I did notice that sometimes I could still smell some chlorine after washing it post-swimming, so I work it in the lengths more than I did with other shampoos. (I was always afraid to do that because sulfates were so drying!) It's gone by the time I get out of the shower and my hair actually feels better. My subconscious hope was that it would be so great that I wouldn't need serums and heat protection sprays, etc. (Less styling products, if you use those). I'm not sure it's a miracle like that after all, but it certainly helps so I'm happy.

I had also tried the 10-in1 Super fruit shampoo and didn't like it at all. It was way sticker and made my hair dry, but I'm still interested in trying other shampoos and conditioners from this line. I would absolutely get the black castor again, if I don't find other shampoos in the line that I like more. I also looked at other SF lines but I think I'm going to try to stick to these guys for a bit, maybe permanently. Other brands had some scary reviews or ingredients or just are too pricey. I think this price is fine, there's always sales and I don't need a ton of it at a time either. I really like the company and their other products too.

Update: I tried the Weightless one and I do like that a lot more. It's nothing amazing but I like it enough that I would choose it over this and continue to use it unless I find something crazy better.

Popular Shampoos