Lancome Grandiose

Lancome Grandiose

3.5

on 10/6/2017 7:09:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is by far my favourite all time performing mascara! Which is so funny because I was so sceptical of the bent brush when it was sold to me, but it is ridiculously amazing at getting in the corner of the eye!

Pros:
- Easily and quickly buildable for daytime or nighttime looks
- Defines lashes quickly
- Never clumps!
- Extends the look of my lashes
- Adds volume and thickness

Cons:
- Cost! Unfortunately super expensive in Australia at $54 AU
- It can smudge a little at the end of an 7 - 12 hour day, especially if you are (like me) a little oily, or layer on the eye moisturisers. Also, can smudge slightly under the eye in the heat. But - this may only be me! I do have long (and annoyingly spindly/sticky) lashes so take that with a grain of salt.

Definitely a solid mascara! Best for dramatic eyes!

on 9/13/2017 5:34:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I bought this mascara on a whim because it was on sale and was quite anxious to check if i didn't waste my money:) Now HONESTLY, it doesn't do miracles and when i wore it on one my eyes and wore my waaay cheaper Catrice Glam&Doll mascara on the other, there wasn't any apparent difference BUT with time Lancome Grandiose won me over and here is why...

Now, i don't really use the wand the way they show in their instructions (seriously, 4 different positions to hold a wand?:) but it IS somehow very intuitive and does help you get those tiniest lashes in the corners. I can't agree with all the negative comments about it smudging, being difficult to wash off, etc. It is easy and 'clean' to apply and i wash it off with a simple Garnier micelar water.

The favorite thing about it for me though it's the curve it gives to my lashes. I never wear falsies nor use a lash curler but this product not only gives my lashes volume, length and a beautiful curve, the curve actually LASTS until i wash mascara off in the evening! And that is something no other mascara has ever done to me:)

This is why i think yes i will repurchase it (but i hope to get a discount again:))

on 8/14/2017 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought the burgundy which looked like a spiced brown on my lashes. The brush took some getting used to and I never felt fully comfortable with it. But my biggest dislike was how this mascara smudged. For $37 this should not be the case. All of the quality went into the beautiful lucite tube. And this contains fragrance which bothered my eyes and contacts.

I did get thickness and length with multiple coats but nothing wow that I haven't found with Maybelline or Mary Kay mascaras. And as far as the colored mascara I will try a plum from a different brand like Clinique or Almay.

I was very surprised to be happy with this product so far after all the negative reviews, but I think it just shows how much ymmv when it comes to makeup. The preamble: I'm 40+, contact lens wearer, and as I get older my eyelashes are really getting sparse. Not that they were ever much to write home about, they stick straight out so I always have to use a curler. I usually avoid volume mascara as either 1) I'm concerned about bits flaking off into my contacts and 2) in my experience they get thick and unusable much quicker than normal mascara (say, in a couple of months as opposed to 6 months or so with lengthening mascara). Finally, I've been using Chanel's Inimitable and Extracils for a number of years, although in the past I've used and been happy with Lancome Extencils and even Maybelline Great Lash (if you can discount the horrendous smudging for that one but hey, it's cheap). I didn't think the price of this was outrageously out of line with normal "premium department store but not cult brand" mascara, but I'm in Europe so it may be different here.

Pros: Washed my face, applied primer (not on my eyes) and my usual Avene 50+ sunscreen, plus my usual Bobbi Brown eyeshadow and liquid liner. I followed the salesgirl's advice and after curling, brushed the mascara on the top of my top lashes first, then the traditional underneath the lashes, using a mirror. Slow strokes and 2-3 coats did the trick. The final effect looked like normal lashes for me from 5 years ago, which I'm happy with. I'm not looking for runway effects!

Since a lot of folks here complained about smudging, I was careful to wipe underneath my eye with powder after applying. However, after a full day of work, it only smudged a bit toward the end (8+ hours). Probably would have been fine if I hadn't been too lazy to powder at lunchtime.

Cons: None so far but will update if it smudges more when using foundation, or if the tube dies after 1-2 months like normal volume mascara and deduct a lippie for that.

on 7/26/2017 2:56:00 AM

I've found most of my experience in using the mascara good - it gives a good coating and adds both volume and some length. However, as I removed the wand from the well recently I heard some sort of 'clump' and it seems like the entire depository of colour has attached itself to the brush, so it is no longer a brush but has the whole well of mascara around it. So while I was able to coat my lashes well previously, I now have to be careful not to smudge/clump my cheek or eyelids with extraneous product while I am trying to lightly coat my lashes.

Would never purchase again, I'm really disappointed in the product considering its expense.

I will go back to using Doll Eyes.

I know this product is very pricey, especially for a mascara, but this is by far my favourite. This is one of the only mascaras that really goes above and beyond to make my eyelashes pop. I personally love making my eyelashes the star of the show for my makeup look and I do not wear falsies and I find this is the best thing for false looking lashes! really do recommend!

on 3/24/2017 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

All I can say, after trying this for months, is it is odd!!! I never had a problem with clumping or smears or smudges with any mascara I have ever used. This curved wand and overly wet texture is weird!! I end up with smudges on the top lid and bottom, sides of my eyes, just everywhere. I have tried different methods, watched utube videos until I get blurry-eyed. I will never purchase this again. It was so expensive that every time I consider throwing it out, I hesitate, but it is pretty much non usable for me.

on 1/25/2017 7:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Very underwhelming. Makes my lashes clump together. No length at all. I much prefer the volume a porter, I get definition length and volume- real impact. This is not worth the premium price, I've had better mascaras from the supermarket. I can only hope it will improve after a couple of weeks.

on 3/22/2017 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I quite like this mascara, but I think it is way too pricey. The wand is kind of weird looking, like you wouldn't think it would give such nice lashes but it actually does.

PROS:
- Separates lashes very well
- Add volume and a bit of length
- Doesn't clump
- You don't need a lot of product

CONS:
- It smudges A LOT onto your eyelids (I've tried using powder, setting spray even hairspray and nothing helps)

I think you can get mascaras just as good as this one for way cheaper, but it's nice to try if you can afford it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this mascara. The wand is awkward but as soon as I used it, I understood its purpose: it helps a lot in application, especially for people clumsy like me. For everyday use, I just put one coat and it gives me a natural and pretty look. For special ocasions or nightouts, I apply 2/3 coats to get a dramatic look. Does not smudge on me and doesn't irritate my eyes, gives me the look i want and lasts so much, and for those reasons I will repurchase, although its price!