Tarte CC Amazonian Clay eye primer

No Image

3.5

Isohexadecane, polyethylene, isononyl isononanoate, isododecane, polyglyceryl-2 diisostearate, disteardimonium hectorite, VP/eicosene copolymer, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, mica, synthetic wax, tocopherol, tocopheryl acetate, ascorbyl palmitate, kaolin, magnesium aluminum silicate, propylene carbonate, squalane, montmorillonite, lauryl PCA, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, caprylyl glycol, titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 10/19/2016 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this primer. First of all I was attracted to it because of the creamy texture. I used UDPP for years but as my eyelids started to age and get a little crepey I started having problems with eye primers that are too dry because they make my eye wrinkles and crepey skin look ten time worse. This primer doesn't cause those problems, it actually smoothes out my lids a little bit which I'm happy about. It also doesn't crease throughout the day and it does a good job of intensifying the pigment of shadows. My main complaint with this primer is that I find it hard to blend my eye shadows. Wherever I lay a shadow down it stays there without budging no matter how much blending I do. That might be a good thing when it comes to improving the shadows staying power but I find it that it can make my shadow look harsh and overdone. I like my colors to seamlessly blend into each other and that is hard to do with this primer. And what the holy hell is up with that lid? You practically have to pry it off with pliers. I don't even snap the lid all the way on anymore because it's too much of a nuisance get it off again. Will keep using with my less pigmented shadows but I will probably not repurchase

on 12/20/2015 3:45:00 PM

I liked the shade of this primer. It worked nice to brighten my eye area. However, as a primer, the performance was poor. I ended up returning it and going back to the UD Primer Potion in Eden.

I was super excited to try this, but it didn't work for me as an eye primer. At first I thought maybe it just didn't prevent creasing and fading on Tarte eyeshadow (ironic), so after two days of trying it with Tarte eyeshadow, today I tried it with Kat Von D eyeshadow (which won't crease on me even without a primer) and it even creased Kat. After reading a bunch of reviews, I realized it wasn't just me having an issue with the creamy formula. I debated whether to take it back, but I decided, since the problem is that it's too creamy, to try it as a lip primer. Umm...it worked! The creamy formula keeps lips moist, the flesh tone of the primer is perfect for covering natural lip tones, and it helps smooth lips to take on lipstick. I can't judge the staying power yet, but I plan to try it tomorrow to see how long it lasts during the day. I'm giving this a tentative 3 lippies on the assumption I can repurpose it as a lip primer.

on 7/12/2015 7:08:00 PM

Love the buttery texture, the colour, and ease of application. Works well with tarte's undercover lover bamboo concealer brush. However, as others have noted, the cap design is flawed. It's very hard to pull off, and if you're not very careful and controlled, you'll nick the primer tip.

on 3/3/2015 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

It is very hard to get the lid off. I almost wanted to return it. I've not recapped it properly since so I won't need to wrestle this early in the morning.

The application is quite creamy and I can see how that will not work well for most lids. However, personally I don't like my eyelids to be too dry or stinging (which is the case with UDPP and Nars' primer) so I think this is fine for me as it does not sting or dry my lids out.

Granted, this still works to keep the eye colour, liner and all sorts in place with some rub off and oiliness at the end of the day.

I also use this as concealer for under eye and brightener for inner eyes. Not bad really but not the best unless you have the same criteria as me.

on 1/6/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This helps neutralize any discoloration on the eyelid, help intensify shadows and increase wear time. It's nothing revolutionary or unique, but good still. I also found a dupe; the LA Girl
HD PRO Primer Eyeshadow Stick, which is $17 cheaper.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The reason for buying this is it seems no matter what brand or type of eyeliner I use it ends up smeared by the afternoon due to semi oily eye lids; below bottom lashes my guess is the face lotion I wear may help it run too. Lets just say I pretty much need a full eye makeup cleanup and reapplication by 1 to 2pm. All I typically wear is eyeliner and mascara, rarely any eyeshadow to avoid dealing with more stuff smearing or looking like a racoon mid afternoon.

Purchased this today and applied it at at about 8:30pm, along with the tarte skinny smolder YES, took a nap thinking it'd only be 30 minutes but woke up at about 3am with perfectly set eye makeup. No smears, makeup still in place as a I set it. Impressed and will hopefully have update within the week.

on 10/19/2014 9:23:00 AM

I did a full review of this product on my youtube channel. I would love for you to watch it. If you like my videos please subscribe! :-)

on 10/17/2014 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I usually use MAC Painterly paint pot, and have for many years. I don't need a primer that's very dry, but I do need one with a slightly cool flesh tone with coverage, because I have dark pink eyelids and visible veins. Painterly has been my go to for this for many years. I tried the Tarte side by side with Painterly, and then on it's own. It's just as good as the painterly IMHO, and a little nicer to use because I can just swipe the crayon all over my eyelid. No creasing, shadows go on true and stay put. Thanks for another great product, Tarte. (I won't knock a lipstick off for this, but I do go through this a lot more quickly than the paint pot, which lasts forever.)

on 10/5/2014 1:01:00 PM

I wish this had worked for me. I love that it's in stick form, so all you have to do is rub it on and blend with your finger--no unscrewing and squeezing like with UDPP, no doe foot applicator to dip into the product two or three times like the NARS. Unfortunately, the packaging was the best part and it just went downhill from there. Upon first blending it in, it felt like it would really work. There's a tackiness to it even though it's creamy enough to smooth out easily. I thought that bit of stickiness would ensure that my eyeshadows stay put and sort of "stick" to my lids. Instead, I wound up with some of the worst creasing I've ever experienced. I have tried with different brands of shadows, different finishes, in really hot weather and very mild temps. It just doesn't perform well for me at all. I'd be better off not using a primer at all than using this one. I'm very disappointed to have to take it back.

Video Reviews & Tutorials