Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter - Moonstone

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter - Moonstone

4.7

Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Petrolatum, Silica, Boron Nitride, Nylon-12, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Isostearyl Alcohol, Cera Microcristallina/ Microcrystalline Wax/Cire microcrystalline, Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Paraffin, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 7749

I've been on a year-long journey to find the perfect highlighter that fits my tastes and budget. I've tried other highlighters that people have deemed dewy and natural looking but found some of them too dark or too pink (Essence Pure Nude Highlighter, Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder Highlighter, Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Opal) on my light neutral olive (?) NC20/C2 to NC25 skin. Some of them when built up were too icy white (Marc Jacobs Glow Stick Glistening Illuminator) or golden (Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminizing Wand). I've also tried another light gold highlighter (theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer) which was cute but was too sparkly.

After all that trial and error, I've come to realize that:
a) because of the surface redness on my cheeks, I don't think I can pull off pinky hued highlighters on my face, and
b) I am really picky with my highlighters, so my holy grail would have to be something light gold that leaves a sheen with minimal sparkle

I was hesitant to try other Becca highlighters because not only did I find the pressed highlighter in Opal too dark, it was also too sparkly. However, I was getting desperate...I just wanted to glow! Luckily I gave Becca another chance, and I think I'm in love.

Moonstone is a lighter gold than theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer and is definitely less sparkly in comparison. The shimmer is very fine and only noticeable if you look up close, plus the colour is the most natural looking on my skin out of all the highlighters I've tried so far. It is a very natural highlight for me, only noticeable when the light hits it at the right angle. Staying power is good, it lasts around 6+ hours on my combination skin and I don't see it noticeably emphasizing texture.

As per usual, the Becca compact is nice and sturdy with a very nice mirror on the inside though (as I've experienced with the Opal highlighter) the rubberized dark brown areas of the compact tends to hold onto any highlight touching it, which gets grubby looking fast. I do wish the packaging for the main line of pressed highlighters was prettier like their 'Light Chasers' or various 'Quartz' highlighters. I've heard that it's not uncommon for these pressed Becca highlighters to shatter during travel, so I bought the travel sized Moonstone too because I adore this highlighter so much.

Overall, this is a great highlighter that has become a staple in my collection and I will keep repurchasing as long as I don't find something better.

on 12/10/2017 5:04:00 AM

My HG face highlighter! It's perfect for my NC15 skintone and works just as well when I'm 1 to 2 shades darker in summer. So pretty, natural looking, and I love that it doesn't have noticeable shimmer particles. I use it on along my cheekbones, browbone and the middle of my forehead and it never looks too much, it even photographs beautifully. Expensive, but it's going to last me 3 years atleast. The only face highlighter I need, although I do wish that Becca would make a shade identical to MAC's Soft & Gentle, I'd buy it in an instant! Love that shade so much but not a fan of the noticeable shimmer particles.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

After trying a couple colors in-store, I decided I liked Moonstone best (Champagne Pop was surprisingly silver on me and Opal was too yellow and glossy-looking). Moonstone has a super-fine gold-champagne shimmer that leans warm. It’s perfect for my light-fair olive skin with pink undertones, though it’s probably too light for darker and/or warmer tones. The pressed powder is superfine and powerfully shimmery. A little goes a long way and it last fairly well, even in humid weather. Sephora advertises this as an intense highlighter, but I prefer a subtle look. For a subtle glow I use a soft, semi-loosely packed brush and use a light touch. It doesn’t irritate my break-out prone, oily skin, nor does it aggravate my eczema. The compact is very sturdy and sometimes hard to open, but it's lasted through international travel. I will buy this again.

on 4/13/2017 10:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This highlighter is freaking gorgeous. It's the first highlighter I've used and it immediately became HG status. I went from "I don't really get the point of highlighters" to "I LOVE HIGHLIGHTING"

Moonstone is a light yellow/gold color that really suits my fair skin with yellow undertones. I've used the "Pearl" shade too but I prefer this. It gives a really natural highlight and can be built up if a more intense highlight is wanted. It lasts ALL day and doesn't settle into my pores. Just a really gorgeous highlighter.

I was afraid that since it's a powder it wouldn't last very well but it's been excellent.

Pros
Gorgeous color
Lasts all day
Looks natural
Doesn't irritate my skin or make it break out
Doesn't settle into lines
Can be built up

Cons
It's pricy but whatever. I couldn't think of any other possible cons. It's really worth the price to me.

I've been using this for 3 months and will update my review if my opinion changes.

on 12/15/2016 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This is by far my favourite highlighter of all time, I even like it better than champagne pop. Shocker, I know.

It is so so soft and buttery - almost doesn't even feel like powder. Its not chunky or glittery, the shimmer is beautiful and the colour is perfect for my skin tone.

I'm absolutely in love and obsessed with this. I would repurchase it in a heartbeat, I'd even keep backups.

on 9/27/2016 1:11:00 AM

a lot of times when there is hype surrounding a product, it turns out that no one really knows WHY something got so popular....it just did. Or maybe it just can't live up to all the lofty expectations people perceive it to have. Not the case with Becca highlighters. Not by a long shot.

There is a reason why Becca highlighters are considered the gold standard. They bring whole new meaning to the word "buttery." Oh goodness. It's like slathering yourself in gorgeous, shining cream but in a POWDER SOMEHOW. LOVE!!!!!!!

Moonstone is my favorite shade; but regardless of which color you choose: these highlighters epitomize the "lit from within" look everyone talks about. The effect is so beautiful and out of this world gorgeous without making you look texturized or metallic. You just simply shine and glow like you're some kind of angel. These are a must have for anyone, young or old, any skin type. No settling into pores or fine lines.

The downfall of many highlighters is that it can be tricky to get a high color pay off without looking too "rough" because of the heavily concentrated pigments and shimmer. So many times I will find a highlighter that texturizes my skin, which is disappointing because I don't even have texture issues! (Discoloration, yes lord please help me there. But so far, so good with the overall smoothness of my skin. Oh shoot don't let me jinx this.) um, hello other highlighters, don't give me a problem I don't have, thanks! Becca has my heart for finding that rare, nearly impossible equilibrium of high shine factor without looking gritty. I can't gush over it enough.

A word of caution: and I won't take a lippie off for this because it is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast when it comes to highlighters, especially ones of higher quality because they are the most finely milled. This baby is delicate. It will shatter if you are not careful, or if you travel with it. I like how Becca packaged it in a sturdy, nearly-rubber-nearly metal-case. I feel like they knew this would be an issue and tried to compensate for it. But unfortunately it's a problem I have encountered with basically any and all finely milled powders. I recommend purchasing it in-store, not from a website, and not traveling with it unless you absolutely have to. It's best to leave it safe on your vanity. As a makeup artist I have to pack up and travel with a lot of product and one of my Becca highlighters did break inside of its compact. I can still use it, thankfully, though I must be careful because one shaky move and it's gonna be a glitter explosion....but again, I find no fault with the manufacturer because EVERY high quality powder is at an extremely high risk of doing this and I've had many a highlighter from Dior to Mary Lou do this to me. All the more reason to treat your holy grail products like the precious babies they are, right? ;P

I don't care about the ~$30price tag because if you want the top product, then, well, you usually must pay top dollar. In my humble opinion, 30 or so bucks is a small price to pay for gorgeous glowing skin and a compact that I have still yet to run out of. This could be $60 (and lesser-quality highlighters ARE out there that cost that much....SHAME!) and I would still buy it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Who doesn't own a Becca pressed highlighter at this point? They're so wildly popular for a reason. The pressed SSPs are intensely pigmented yet almost foolproof because they're so finely milled. It never ends up glittery or powdery no matter how much you apply. The finish is about as natural and smooth as it can possibly get with a powder highlight.

Moonstone is a light gold that is especially flattering on yellow skin tones. There are definitely dupes out there, but what you're paying for is the quality of the product. Also, the price tag really isn't bad at all considering these highlighters last for an eternity.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a great highlighter. A little pricey, but lasts a long time. I've had mine for 8 months and barely made a dent.

If you are looking for similar, more affordable options I recommend colourpop smoke n whistles.

Overall would repurchase.

MY FAVORITE (and a ton of other girls' HG) Shimmery Highlighter!

This is not for the faint of heart (unless when using a duo brush or a very light hand)!

It feels very finely milled, and FULL of metallic pigment! LOVE!!! I admit, highlighters these days are (formulaically) very hard to seriously mess up, as there are so many good high and low end options that don't leave you looking like a disco ball nowadays,but what singles this whole line (I have and love 'Opal', 'Rose Gold', 'Champagne Pop', and 'Pearl' powders, along with a few liquid SSPs as well) is that they are super-metallic, not sparkly, and go on very smoothly, not chunky. They look almost ethereal, yet can also achieve the super ubiquitous, almost obnoxious Instagram heavy highlighter-cut crease, cateye-bold lip combo.

I tried it for the first time almost a decade ago when the names were different and shades of the highlighters were less natural in shades. They only offered pressed, loose powder, and liquid at that time, all of which I loved, but the shades are prettier now…Give it a try (it is quite easy to find nowadays

PS: I just tried three of the glow-inducing, recently released "Luminous Blushes" and the "Backlight Primer". They are truly lovely, and must try products if you enjoy the preternatural, illuminated look :P(See my review for the 'Opal' shade here:

on 6/2/2016 3:45:00 PM

OMG, I just can't stop looking at my face! This highlights beautifully and makes me look fresh and dewy. I'm 36 and I swear this product makes me look a few years younger.

I have always heard that Becca was the creme de la creme of highlighters but I was weary of buying it because of the price tag. I am a firm believer that you don't need to spend a lot of money for most makeup. However, this is totally worth the us$38 I paid. I am a convert and will definitely use this on a daily basis.

A HUGE thank you to the Ulta rep who convinced me to make this purchase.