Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed - Moonstone

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed - Moonstone

4.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Becca is the quintessential Australian girls brand. I've been into Becca for ages and done a few reviews on a couple of products. Everything I have tried I have loved. This powder highlight is the only product of the Moonstone colour family that I own. It has a creamy gold base. This lends to the white gold end of the gold spectrum, with the discontinued "Champagne" (not to be confused with Champagne "pop") being a true gold. The formulation of the pressed powders are up there with the best on the market. The proof of this is in the fact that I am sooooo close to hitting pan on this sucker. It provides a glow, not a spec of chunky glitter to be found. The colour is perfect for my NC25/30 skin, and I would guess that it would suit a range of skin tones from NC/NW 15 to about a 35. As compared to Opal, it's more golden toned and paler (with Opal being darker and more pink toned). As compared to Pearl, it's much more warm toned and yellow based (with Pearl being a cool toned white based highlight). Champagne Pop is more warm toned and leans more towards a true gold.

The packaging is beautiful, heavy and solid to hold which is pretty important because the product is so fragile. The price is high but you get what you pay for with this highlight, it sells for $66 AU at Sephora (Adore beauty sell for about 10 dollars less). In comparison to some other brands:
UD naked illuminating powder is $45 and it's a glitter ball hot mess with no pigment and is just a chunky glitter mess masquerading as a highlight
Hourglass Luminous Light is $66 aswell but is much more subtle, still beautiful but it's also a tad darker and more on the line of Opal.
Mac Soft and Gentle is around $50 and in my opinion the quality is terrible. Chunky and glittery, such a mess that will leave you looking stank.

All in all Becca Moonstone is a no brainer for pale to medium skin tones. If you want to spend money on a highlight, then do it here.

on 10/5/2015 7:44:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Love it. Plain and simple, just love it. I own 3 Becca highlighters currently, because that is how in love I am with them. I would probably get all of them if the other colours were suitable for my super pale skin, but alas they are not. I own Moonstone, Champagne Pop, and Rose Gold is currently shipping to my house as I am typing so I'll update my review on that one once I have it. This review page is for moonstone but I'll still give a bit of detail about the others so whoever reads this can get an idea for which is better for them.

In order of which is the most shimmery, highlighting etc. I would say Champagne Pop is quite a bit more highlighting and 'out there'. It's way more glam, and if you watch Jaclyn Hill's youtube videos, basically she does a 'glam highlight' for almost every makeup look she does. While it looks nice, it's not for me. It's easier to be light handed with Moonstone, but still have a strong highlight. Moonstone is a strong highlight for sure, but Champagne Pop is a stronger highlight. I personally think it would be easier to layer this and decide how much glam you want in your look for that day. They are both fantastic, and honestly you can make both look more natural and glam so you can't go wrong.

In terms of dupes, I also own The Balm Mary-Loumanizer. The Becca highlighters are better quality I can say that from the get go. The Balm is an amazing highlighter but when you compare it to the Becca ones the Balm has larger shimmer in it, which I personally don't like. Mary-Loumanizer is more similar to Champagne Pop (however it's a paler gold), but it's kind of right between both of these. Although Mary is a very nice highlighter, I rarely reach for it anymore.

What else can I say? They apply like a dream, blend like a dream, shine like a dream. Good staying power considering how pigmented it is. There is literally nothing bad I can say about them. The packaging is gorgeous, strong, you feel like the 46 bucks (Canadian price) is worth every penny. The mirror is really nice too. It's very large, so I can't ever imagine myself running out in this lifetime but hey if I did, I'd run right back to Becca highlighters.

In summary, Moonstone is 5/5, gorgeous. If you're very fair, go with Moonstone but Champagne Pop still looks nice with fair skin, not orange like I had feared. If you're medium-tan or darker, Champagne Pop is the right way to go as Moonstone could potentially wash you out and show as ashy on your skin. I have to try out their liquid highlighting formulas one day. :)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Becca gets a lot of hype for their highlighters. But they really are great, and they look really pretty on.

So which should you get? Liquid, pressed, or poured?
I currently have the liquid in pearl. I think the liquid versions have the least amount of "glitter' in them. (although the glitter is quite fine, and doesn't appear glittery on the skin in any of the formulas) The liquid is a little better if you want something more subtle, because you can layer it under foundation too. (or mix it with foundation, if you like the glowy type of look)

I also have the pressed in Moonstone. I am in LOVE with the pressed formula. It goes on so easily, and you can really build it up, or sheer it out. (although it's a bit easier to overdo it with the pressed formula)

I haven't tried the poured, but I believe it is something in between the two, a creamier type powder.

What color should you get if you are pale?
My summer tan color has been NW20. The Opal sample I received actually looked really nice on my skin, and I used it all. But with my tan fading fast, moonstone was a perfect choice. (typically around NW10-15 in Winter) Initially I was afraid this would be too yellow for my cool-toned skin, but it really looks great. It is neutral and sheer enough that I think both cool and warm tones could easily wear.

I did read that they are going to release Pearl in the pressed formula sometime next Spring. Honestly, I think that might be too white, that it would be quite stark against the skin. I am super happy with Moonstone.

I've heard rave reviews forever about Becca's highlighters, and was in need of a really great one. I already owned the liquid hightlight from Becca in Moonstone and absolutely fell in LOVE with it, so I figured I would give this a go because this specific color flattered my skin tone so well.

To start, the packaging is pretty, brushed metal for a touch of elegance, so upon seeing it, I found that really cute. I opened it, saw it had a great mirror (another plus, for on the go). When you first see the powder it looks soft even in the pan. Moonstone is an very light yellow gold, with white gold baby fine flecks throughout. I applied it to my cheeks using my fingers because I was curious of the consistency, which was so buttery smooth and VERY pigmented. After patting a bit on my cheek bones, and a little on the bridge of my nose, a touch on my cupids bow, I then stepped back and looked in the mirror. LADIES, oh ladies, it was SO beautiful!!! I looked lit from within, and it accentuated and lifted my already high cheekbones making my whole face look amazing. I am SO SO happy I bought this, and will be stocking up! Highly recommend. Hands down, the best highlighter I've ever used!! :))

on 9/7/2015 10:56:00 AM

I am honored to be the first reviewer in my age range for this gem. I am an NW15-20, and am new to highlighters. I previously shied away from them because I was under the impression they just accentuated pores, like it does on some YT beauty gurus who are a lot younger than I am. I had tried a couple of them in the past, like TheBalm Mary Loumanizer, which I hated. But then recently, I saw how beautiful it can look if it's applied properly, and with the right product. Soft and Gentle by MAC was my first purchase, and I have been very happy with it, but I still wanted this one, even though I was under the mistaken impression that they were too similar. So I finally took the plunge and purchased this. It is a pale creamy color, and I really love it. It is so pigmented that I was actually able to test it in the store by applying it with my finger. I don't use a dense brush with it, because it would be easy to overdo it. It was expensive, no question ($38) but it was worth the splurge.

on 7/29/2014 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have both this shade and Opal and I really love these. With this shade, I was a bit concerned because golden toned highlights can tend to look a bit fake and obvious on me, but not this. And it highlights in such a natural way. It IS shimmering but not glittery, very richly pigmented and buttery in texture. At first glance it reminded me of theBalm's Mary Loumanizer, but this is less glittery, but the tone is similar. Would repurchase.

on 1/21/2016 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm a neutral leaning slightly yellow NC20. Moonstone happens to be very flattering on my skin tone...it leaves a subtle golden pearly sheen to my skin. Although I found the quality of The Balm Mary Lou-Manizer good, it was far too golden on me. Moonstone is like a toned down version, because it has more of a pearl colour base. The shimmers are not chunky at all and I like that Moonstone can look subtle or intense depending on how much I apply, unlike the MAC Soft&Gentle which looks too full on regardless of how sparingly I apply. Moonstone goes on really smoothly and lasts all day on my skin. The big downside for me is how expensive this stuff is, around £32 here in the UK.

on 1/14/2016 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The love of my life. My holy grail highlighter. I'd marry this stuff if it was legal. It's pricey but oh so worth it. A little goes a long way with this stuff. I'm extremely pale so this color works great for me. It will definitely last throughout the day. The packaging is very nice and high quality. I'm trying to figure out how anyone can not love this.

on 9/27/2016 1:11:00 AM

a lot of times when there is hype surrounding a product, it turns out that no one really knows WHY something got so popular....it just did. Or maybe it just can't live up to all the lofty expectations people perceive it to have. Not the case with Becca highlighters. Not by a long shot.

There is a reason why Becca highlighters are considered the gold standard. They bring whole new meaning to the word "buttery." Oh goodness. It's like slathering yourself in gorgeous, shining cream but in a POWDER SOMEHOW. LOVE!!!!!!!

Moonstone is my favorite shade; but regardless of which color you choose: these highlighters epitomize the "lit from within" look everyone talks about. The effect is so beautiful and out of this world gorgeous without making you look texturized or metallic. You just simply shine and glow like you're some kind of angel. These are a must have for anyone, young or old, any skin type. No settling into pores or fine lines.

The downfall of many highlighters is that it can be tricky to get a high color pay off without looking too "rough" because of the heavily concentrated pigments and shimmer. So many times I will find a highlighter that texturizes my skin, which is disappointing because I don't even have texture issues! (Discoloration, yes lord please help me there. But so far, so good with the overall smoothness of my skin. Oh shoot don't let me jinx this.) um, hello other highlighters, don't give me a problem I don't have, thanks! Becca has my heart for finding that rare, nearly impossible equilibrium of high shine factor without looking gritty. I can't gush over it enough.

A word of caution: and I won't take a lippie off for this because it is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast when it comes to highlighters, especially ones of higher quality because they are the most finely milled. This baby is delicate. It will shatter if you are not careful, or if you travel with it. I like how Becca packaged it in a sturdy, nearly-rubber-nearly metal-case. I feel like they knew this would be an issue and tried to compensate for it. But unfortunately it's a problem I have encountered with basically any and all finely milled powders. I recommend purchasing it in-store, not from a website, and not traveling with it unless you absolutely have to. It's best to leave it safe on your vanity. As a makeup artist I have to pack up and travel with a lot of product and one of my Becca highlighters did break inside of its compact. I can still use it, thankfully, though I must be careful because one shaky move and it's gonna be a glitter explosion....but again, I find no fault with the manufacturer because EVERY high quality powder is at an extremely high risk of doing this and I've had many a highlighter from Dior to Mary Lou do this to me. All the more reason to treat your holy grail products like the precious babies they are, right? ;P

I don't care about the ~$30price tag because if you want the top product, then, well, you usually must pay top dollar. In my humble opinion, 30 or so bucks is a small price to pay for gorgeous glowing skin and a compact that I have still yet to run out of. This could be $60 (and lesser-quality highlighters ARE out there that cost that much....SHAME!) and I would still buy it.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

After trying a couple colors in-store, I decided I liked Moonstone best (Champagne Pop was surprisingly silver on me and Opal was too yellow and glossy-looking). Moonstone has a super-fine gold-champagne shimmer that leans warm. It’s perfect for my light-fair olive skin with pink undertones, though it’s probably too light for darker and/or warmer tones. The pressed powder is superfine and powerfully shimmery. A little goes a long way and it last fairly well, even in humid weather. Sephora advertises this as an intense highlighter, but I prefer a subtle look. For a subtle glow I use a soft, semi-loosely packed brush and use a light touch. It doesn’t irritate my break-out prone, oily skin, nor does it aggravate my eczema. The compact is very sturdy and sometimes hard to open, but it's lasted through international travel. I will buy this again.