Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter - Moonstone

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter - Moonstone

4.5

Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Petrolatum, Silica, Boron Nitride, Nylon-12, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Isostearyl Alcohol, Cera Microcristallina/ Microcrystalline Wax/Cire microcrystalline, Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Paraffin, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 7749

The Becca Pressed Highlighter in Moonstone is a great highlighter if you're looking for something subtle rather than a dramatic strobing effect, or if you're new to highlighter and looking to ease into it.

This product was a slow burn for me. My initial impression was that it wasn't doing anything. It is very, very subtle. I was confused about the rave reviews, especially considering the hefty price tag. But after trying it a few times, it became my go-to daily highlighter.

The reason is that for one thing, contrary to my first impression, this highlighter does effectively highlight. But it has a very finely milled quality that makes it a lot more subtle and skin-like. It looks like what runway makeup artists use to make models' skin look perfect and luminous. In contrast there's also a highlighter trend that leans toward something really otherworldly, alien and holographic, and this highlighter is not what you would probably want to use to achieve that.

The other thing is that I like how subtle it is. I like my make up low key for work (not at all knocking those who like something more dramatic, that's awesome and you do you), and I did have a few instances with other highlighters where I would kind of overdo it and it looked like obvious shimmer. This is because 1. I'm tired first thing in the morning when I apply my makeup, which is not great for motor skills and 2. I'm not incredibly careful or skilled with makeup. Either way, I like that with Becca Moonstone it's a lot harder to muck up.

I think I'd like to try other colors just for fun, but Moonstone has been a good natural-looking shade for me, with probably NC15 skin. I was unsure about Moonstone since it is described as a gold, which is not a highlighter shade I would normally go for. But it seemed the best for me of the minis Sephora had in stock, and I wanted to try a Becca highlighter, and I'm cheap and was not going to buy a full size, so I bought it. And I'm glad I did. The gold is pretty subtle and does not read GOLD ALL CAPS when applied. For the record I use highlighter on my cheekbones up in a c-shape to the ends of my eyebrows.

I've been on a year-long journey to find the perfect highlighter that fits my tastes and budget. I've tried other highlighters that people have deemed dewy and natural looking but found some of them too dark or too pink (Essence Pure Nude Highlighter, Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder Highlighter, Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Opal) on my light neutral olive (?) NC20/C2 to NC25 skin. Some of them when built up were too icy white (Marc Jacobs Glow Stick Glistening Illuminator) or golden (Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminizing Wand). I've also tried another light gold highlighter (theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer) which was cute but was too sparkly.

After all that trial and error, I've come to realize that:
a) because of the surface redness on my cheeks, I don't think I can pull off pinky hued highlighters on my face, and
b) I am really picky with my highlighters, so my holy grail would have to be something light gold that leaves a sheen with minimal sparkle

I was hesitant to try other Becca highlighters because not only did I find the pressed highlighter in Opal too dark, it was also too sparkly. However, I was getting desperate...I just wanted to glow! Luckily I gave Becca another chance, and I think I'm in love.

Moonstone is a lighter gold than theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer and is definitely less sparkly in comparison. The shimmer is very fine and only noticeable if you look up close, plus the colour is the most natural looking on my skin out of all the highlighters I've tried so far. It is a very natural highlight for me, only noticeable when the light hits it at the right angle. Staying power is good, it lasts around 6+ hours on my combination skin and I don't see it noticeably emphasizing texture.

As per usual, the Becca compact is nice and sturdy with a very nice mirror on the inside though (as I've experienced with the Opal highlighter) the rubberized dark brown areas of the compact tends to hold onto any highlight touching it, which gets grubby looking fast. I do wish the packaging for the main line of pressed highlighters was prettier like their 'Light Chasers' or various 'Quartz' highlighters. I've heard that it's not uncommon for these pressed Becca highlighters to shatter during travel, so I bought the travel sized Moonstone too because I adore this highlighter so much.

Overall, this is a great highlighter that has become a staple in my collection and I will keep repurchasing as long as I don't find something better.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Doesn’t even show up on my skin...I have to build up a thick layer to see any effect whatsoever, and then it just looks cakey. For reference, my skin tone is fair to light, but looks almost medium in the summer. I have the Becca liquid highlighter too, and it does not show up at all. I would strongly suggest keeping your receipt for this one, because this is a very pointless product to keep around if it doesn’t work for you :( Unrelated to the product itself, the packaging just feels so cheap! The print rubbed off after only a few uses...

on 12/10/2017 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Eh...it's pretty, but not for me. I found myself having to build this up to get the desired intensity. I'm okay with a subtle glow, but it didn't show much through my makeup unless I packed it on. If I'm going to spend more, then I prefer more intensity. Champagne Pop still takes first place for me. I'll still give it a good rating just because the formula is amazing as usual.

on 12/10/2017 5:04:00 AM

My HG face highlighter! It's perfect for my NC15 skintone and works just as well when I'm 1 to 2 shades darker in summer. So pretty, natural looking, and I love that it doesn't have noticeable shimmer particles. I use it on along my cheekbones, browbone and the middle of my forehead and it never looks too much, it even photographs beautifully. Expensive, but it's going to last me 3 years atleast. The only face highlighter I need, although I do wish that Becca would make a shade identical to MAC's Soft & Gentle, I'd buy it in an instant! Love that shade so much but not a fan of the noticeable shimmer particles.

This is the most natural highlighter that I've ever used. I find highlighters are either too bright or you don't see anything at all. I have a yellow, olive undertone and the moonstone color blends perfectly into my skin. The shimmering powder is very finely milled and brushes over your skin effortlessly. I only have to apply one layer to see the highlights in my skin. My only complaint is that it doesn't last very long. After a few hours, it completely disappears from my skin. This would be a great product for a night out when you only need to be able to see the highlights through dinner.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

After trying a couple colors in-store, I decided I liked Moonstone best (Champagne Pop was surprisingly silver on me and Opal was too yellow and glossy-looking). Moonstone has a super-fine gold-champagne shimmer that leans warm. It’s perfect for my light-fair olive skin with pink undertones, though it’s probably too light for darker and/or warmer tones. The pressed powder is superfine and powerfully shimmery. A little goes a long way and it last fairly well, even in humid weather. Sephora advertises this as an intense highlighter, but I prefer a subtle look. For a subtle glow I use a soft, semi-loosely packed brush and use a light touch. It doesn’t irritate my break-out prone, oily skin, nor does it aggravate my eczema. The compact is very sturdy and sometimes hard to open, but it's lasted through international travel. I will buy this again.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Perfect highlighter. I haven't tried very many but I know that this is a good one. I stole it from my mom but I'm pretty sure it's too expensive. I like that it is not a harsh white. The packaging is not very pretty or exciting, but whatever. When I run out I don't think I'll get this exact same one because I want to try more highlighters, but one day I could go back to this highlighter knowing it's a good one.

on 4/13/2017 10:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This highlighter is freaking gorgeous. It's the first highlighter I've used and it immediately became HG status. I went from "I don't really get the point of highlighters" to "I LOVE HIGHLIGHTING"

Moonstone is a light yellow/gold color that really suits my fair skin with yellow undertones. I've used the "Pearl" shade too but I prefer this. It gives a really natural highlight and can be built up if a more intense highlight is wanted. It lasts ALL day and doesn't settle into my pores. Just a really gorgeous highlighter.

I was afraid that since it's a powder it wouldn't last very well but it's been excellent.

Pros
Gorgeous color
Lasts all day
Looks natural
Doesn't irritate my skin or make it break out
Doesn't settle into lines
Can be built up

Cons
It's pricy but whatever. I couldn't think of any other possible cons. It's really worth the price to me.

I've been using this for 3 months and will update my review if my opinion changes.

on 3/1/2017 6:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

The most instense highlight I own. I've almost hit pan after 2 years, it's the highlighter I use almost daily.