shu uemura Shu Uemura Porefinist Anti-shine Fresh Cleansing Oil

No Image

4.6

This product really cleans off the day including eye make up. It is a light oil, applied to dry make up and turns milky as it cleans the day off. I tried another cream cleanser when I was travelling (as I forgot this) and started to develop whiteheads. As soon as I returned to using this, my skin went back to clear. Pricey but lasts a really long time and I buy the largest bottle available from Strawberry.net as that gives me value for money. As I am acne prone, I double cleanse - after this, I follow with a foaming cleanser and it works wonders.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Good product! I needed to get it from Japan, as it is not available in my country. The price is ridiculous though.

I use is as a pre-wash, because used alone leave a residue/film I am not a fan of and I think could cause breakout/pore clogging (in my case).
The consistency is runny, watery, one pump of the product is all what you need. I think it contributed to cutting dowmn oil production, which is great (but my complexion is still far from type-normal).
It is much better than DHL cleansing oil - does not dry out my skin, plumps it, makes it feel good.

But I will not buy it again. Not because it is a bad product, but because I do not need it. I will not use it as eye makeup remover, as I do not like the residue and my eyes cannot stand anything else except bioderma micellar water. In my case - thils also require second cleanser, as the leftover tends to clog my pores - to much hassle for me. And bearing the price - I would rather have one good cleanser that does it all in just one step (like Obagi or Dr G).

edited:
I recently tried to use it alone, as it is staded on producer's web site, that you do not need second wash after this. At evening a used a damped wash cloth to remove the residue, in morning - just water to take it of.
Unfortunately, while the texture and overall condition of my skin was great (pores were clear, shine reduced, no breakouts) I saw some fine lines starting to appear on my forehead. I think this is due to dehydration or mild inflamation - everytime a used at night enything leaving an oily film/residue, the resut is always the same - fine lines on my forehead and around my eyes.
I am 37 and have no visible fine lines or wrinkles due to the protocol I use for nights - no oily staf on my face - no night creams, serums, etc. just oil-free cosmetics - tones and feather-light serums (water based). This cleansing oil does not suit this attitude.
Moreover, when I decided to move to my regular cleanser, I saw how much damage this oil made to my skin. It made me look 5-7 yes older due to strange, irregular surface and net of dehydration wrinkles. Good it wasn't permanent - it took me about a week to get the situation under control.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I've tried a few cleansing oils but this one knocks them all out of the park. This has a thin, watery consistency but very little is required for me to remove a full face of makeup. And seriously, ALL makeup is gone with a nickel-size drop of this oil. I'm knocking one lippie off for the fragrance and for the price, but so little oil is needed that a full-size bottle will last a very, very long time.

A+!

EDIT 06/17: This has become a HG cleansing oil for me, because I *very* tardily discovered double-cleansing. I was getting some seemingly-random breakouts from using this, but after consistently following with a foaming cleanser (Embryolisse Foaming Cream Milk), they're gone gone gone. I'm still reluctant to give this 5 stars given the price, but this product aces every other metric.

on 9/18/2016 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

So at first I was not a fan of this cleansing oil primarily because of the hefty price tag. A sample of this was given to me after buying the Hard 9 eyebrow pencil. This sat for many weeks in my drawer until I finally decided to use it. Gosh I was completely wrong for trying countless cleansing balms and oils from Etude House, Biore, Purevivi, Shisedo and Lush instead of using this. Though oils from Purevivi and Shiseido are really nice, i still have to give it up to this cleansing oil - the top spot! The consistency is thin yet removes dirt and grime effortlessly. I found out tha thin consistency is more suitable to oily and acne prone skins - so as not to aggravate the blemishes. So what I do is gently massage this into my entire face and focusing the massage to my eyes - to remove those stubborn eye makeups. After doing so, I wash my face with lukewarm water and continue with the 2nd cleansing regime - i.e. facial wash.

Believe me, spending more is worth it if you really are serious on taking care of your skin. I will definitely stash my other cleansing oils and keep this baby on my counter.

on 2/27/2016 10:37:00 PM

Got it as a sample. Felt great on my skin. I have normal skin. Takes off makeup great and doesn't dry the skin. I am repurchasing it. I ran out and I miss it

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I feel that this is one of those not-terrible-but-not-that-great products. The cleansing power is undoubtably strong, yet I'm not a fan of it's watery texture and its strong scent. And that price...way too high for its quality. Although I do find this quite effective in removing makeup, it does not refine or minimize my pores like its name suggests. And I don't find this product is exactly "anti-shine".

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Other

This is an effective but very gentle cleansing oil, which is perfect for my acne-prone but sensitive skin.
I use it as the first of a 2 step cleansing process at night, to remove every speck of makeup before going to bed (gently foaming it on the skin surface, where it forms a milky white, lovely light floral scented layer).
I then follow it with the Aveeno Sensitive skin cleanser, just to make completely sure my skin is immaculately clean during the night time.
This 2 step cleansing process has made a huge difference to reducing breakouts associated with roseacea, without irritating and my skin in the process. In fact, it has calmed my skin, reduced the redness moderately.
I feel that my newly well behaved skin is now my friend (people have commented favorably on it, which hast not been the case in the past). I feel that my skin is no longer my enemy, now that I am able to help it with a gentle, kind, loving approach, rather than harsh cleansing and anti acne fighters.
For all those who battle and have battled acne and rosacea, maybe trying this approach will work for you too.
For comparison, I have also tried another cleansing oil, the Tatcha camellia oil, which is way pricier. The Tatcha is equally effective and non-irritating. It is has 2 small advantages: it is less liquid ie does not slip out of your fingers as you apply it, and it is perhaps a smidge less irritating to the eyes, but neither of these differences, in my opinion, really justify the huge price differential. Neither does the loveliness of the Tatcha dispenser.
The thought did strike my mind that after I finish the travel size of the Tatcha camellia cleansing oil, I could refill the Tatcha container with the Uemura cleansing oil, and no one would be the wiser. Just sayin'...Tatcha does say that their travel sizes are refillable.....

on 9/9/2015 10:49:00 AM

I have fallen back in love with this cleansing oil. I remember earlier in my college days I used to use this to cleanse off my makeup. Then more brands come up with their own version of cleansing oil, and me being me, wanted to try everything out, steered away from this.

A couple of months back i repurchased this just out of nostalgic reason and was blown away. I've tried MAC, TBS, DHC, Boscia, Biore, you name it! I even tried cleansing balm at some point (which to me feels just like a solid cleansing oil) and none of them works as well as this. With those bands I always find a little bit of makeup left on my towel.

Shu Uemura has a very light texture that melts off your makeup instantly. I wear waterproof mascara most days and this just remove them like no other. With Shu Uemura, I will never find any leftover makeup on my towel.

on 7/26/2015 2:09:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely adore this oil! I got a sample of it from Sephora and after I ran through that, I went out and bought the 150mL size one.

This cleansing oil claims to reduce the size of pores and remove blackheads, and after using it for a solid two weeks (and running through a good fifth of the bottle), I can happily say that my large pores around the nose are significantly reduced in size and my blackheads have actually gotten a lot better. I didn't really realize that this oil claimed to do these things until I actually noticed the changes when I looked in the mirror!

What I do with this oil is I take a good two pumps (rather than the 3-4 that the instructions suggest) and rub my hands together with the oil to warm the product up before applying it to my face. Then, I start from my eyes and massage the oil in circular motions all over my face until I feel all my makeup dissolve. (I always wear waterproof mascara, and this oil removes it with no problem.) Then, I'll wet my hands and rub my face with the water to emulsify the oil. It never rinses off completely for me, so I go in with my Cetaphil Oily Skin cleanser and go about my regular cleansing routine. (I tone with Dickinson's Witch Hazel toner and moisturize with the FAB Ultra Repair Cream.)

The only real downside to this cleanser aside from the price (which is pretty darn expensive) is the pump. I personally think that it gets quite messy if your hand isn't positioned properly to catch all the oil and/or if you pump the product harshly. I've had oil spill all over my counter when I pumped it too hard, which was not fun to clean.

Definitely going to finish this bottle up, and then I'm on the hunt for some more inexpensive dupes (though I think this will be hard to dupe.) My wallet cries whenever I think about the $82 price tag on the 450mL size bottle because I love this oil so dang much.

on 5/6/2015 9:09:00 PM

For people who disses the idea of putting oil on your face should stop and try removing your makeup with cleansing oil instead of cleansing wipes. I think this is more common in Asian countries where cleansing oil is much more accepted and widely used, so as growing up in an oriental culture I've always been using cleansing oil as a make up remover. Also using cleansing oil is more gentle on the skin since there'll be less "friction" which using cleansing wipes will usually give, so the skin will be less irritated.

The cleansing power of this cleansing oil is the best from all ranges of products that I've ever used. The texture is rather thin, and there is a slight flora scent that smells pleasant. While lathering on the oil to the face, the make up breaks down instantly. Even some super waterproof mascara (eg. majolica majoca mascara, which is known for a pain to remove) can be remove easily with a few massage around the eye. It is really easy to wash off as well, and after that it feels really fresh and clean. If you wash it down really well and you can no longer see the oil turning into a milk form, it won't clog your pores.