NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien

Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien

3.8

on 1/1/2017 5:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I got this last year as a birthday sample, and just purchased the full size. I absolutely haaaate that you have to sharpen it, however, the color and formula is worth it. On me it's a deep, rosey nude and it lasts at least 4 hours. So yes, it's pricey, but I would spend more trying to get this look/performance from inferior brands.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Got this as a gift from Sephora. I wouldn't purchase it on my own because of the price. On me, it's almost a nude, but gives a slight depth of color. Very creamy and conditioning.

on 11/28/2016 3:31:00 AM

I love this so much I have 2 - one for work and one for home/purse. For me, it is the prefect grab and go nude. It isn't too flat and has enough colour to not wipe you out.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Don't like the color or the formula. It has shimmer in it which I despise for my lips. Got it for my birthday and would never purchase myself. I've used it as a cream blush and I like it better that way than as a lipstick. Gives a natural flush since it's so sheer.

on 9/6/2016 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I first tried this as a birthday duo with cruella; I ended up loving rikugien and not cruelly because I am not into blue-toned reds. I can say that cruella is more matte and pigmented than rikugien, which on my tan skin looks like a rosy color with flecks of glitter. It is sheer but build able. I wish this was made into a satin lipstick instead; we wouldn't have to go through the pain of sharpening it and would get more product. As with all NARS products, it is very expensive for the amount of product you receive especially since sharpening wastes product. The lasting power isn't great since its satin but the color is unique; I saw that the revlon balm stain in honey was a dupe but when I put both on my lips side by side, I saw that it wasn't a dupe since honey is even sheerer and didn't have the glitter.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Like a lot of other reviewers here, I got this in a birthday sample. I thought I'd wear the matte shade - Cruella - more, but this turned out to be a HG shade for me. It's a gorgeous, pearly, rosy pink that doesn't look too frosty or unnatural. If it's built up (this is a very easily buildable product), it pulls off a beautiful rusty red-pink. Lasting power is about a couple hours, but it leaves a nice stain so I'm not complaining. I completely agree with the other reviewers who don't like that this sharpens instead of twists up. It's messy and it wastes product! For a high end company like NARS to settle for this method, it's boggling to me. If NARS repackaged these in a twist-up container, I would give it 5 stars. This is an exceptional product, though, and if you have the money, it's worth a try!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

This is my absolute favorite lip color ever. If I had to live with one color the rest of my life it would be this one. I got my first one as a sample from Sephora on a birthday gift set. It lasted a pretty long time, then I ordered a new one. It is velvety smooth and the color is a ylbb shade that looks amazing. At first the pencil seems like its like the push up ones, but it's not, you can actually sharpen it. I use my essence sharpener and it works fine. However... I do suggest popping it in the freezer before sharpening, these guys are pretty delicate. I took off a lippie for the packaging, just because of that.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I always see youtubers rocking this and people raving about this, and maybe this just does not play nicely with my lips, I don't know. But for me, first of all, is way more sheer than I have seen in online pic's or videos. Like almost no pigmentation for me...I am currently NC20, not tanned or anything. Secondly, this disappears on me really fast. I am lucky if I get an hour wear time out of this. That is not a typo.....I get about one hour wear out of this, max. If I could give an award to the fastest disappearing lip product, this would win, hands-down!! LOL. And then after less than an hour, it fades to nothing. I guess the good thing is this does not get gummy or gunky nor turn funny colors. But I am sure you could find a comparable drugstore shade for a third of the price. This also oddly dries my lips. It is a nice flattering subtle (*very subtle* for me) shade, and as some say, nice for Spring and Summer, but the drawbacks for me are disappointing.

on 5/26/2016 5:39:00 PM

I love this pencil. I received a luxury sample of this from Sephora, and a short while later, bought a full size. It's a gorgeous, pearly (NARS calls it a 'satin' lip crayon) rosy shade that's a bit brighter than a YLBB shade, but it looks really natural and is great for Spring/Summer. It's also a bit sheer, which is one of the reasons I think I like it so much. For a sheer-er product, it also wears remarkably well without having to constantly reapply, which was a very pleasant surprise. It's a bit on the spendy side for a lip crayon ($33) but I haven't found anything comparable to the color and texture. It's not something I use every day, but it's in regular rotation and I reach for it often. I would definitely repurchase once I run out.

on 5/12/2016 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wear kat Von D liquid lipstick pretty much exclusively, but wear this on top of it. It looks great! Takes away the matte and adds a fullness.