Maybelline The Nudes

3.4

I never quite understood the hype over Urban Decay's Naked palettes--I always felt that if you were going to pay $50+ for eyeshadows, they'd need to be colors that you wouldn't find at drugstores. Maybelline's Expert Wear The Nudes Palette don't contain much of the same shades as, or the same rich and silky pigmentation as the coveted UD shadows, but at $10 for 12 neutral, workable shades in both matte and shimmery finishes, this has to be one of the most practical and value-minded eyeshadow palettes on the market. It's definitely one of the sleekest palettes from a drugstore! The only other neutral palettes that I feel can compare is NYX's Nude on Nude Palette and their Dream Catcher palettes, but NYX products aren't as accessible as Maybelline's.

The quality of The Nudes Palette is what you would expect from the rest of the Expert Wear eyeshadow line: inconsistencies in pigmentation and texture, drier, chalkier product--things that remind me I got what I paid for. When I first swatched this palette, I was not impressed. I felt like all the lighter shades needed heavy-handed swatching before they showed up on my skin, so I almost wanted to return this palette.

However, after actually wearing variations of looks made only with this palette over the course of a week, I'm finding that this palette's inconsistencies in texture and pigmentation might be intended, because they actually work out when layered and blended! Eyeshadow primer is a must, but I just use Maybelline's Color Tattoos as a tacky base. The palette comes with a guide on the back of the palette for looks with eyeshadow duos, trios, and quads, for starters, and the looks can range from simple and natural or built up to something smoky and more dramatic--surprisingly! Most of the week that I tried this, I managed various smoky looks that lasted all day over a Color Tattoo as a base. I don't use the included sponge applicator with this product, but my fingers and an e.l.f. Studio Eyeshadow "C" Brush instead, to pack on color and blend them into each other, and an eyeliner brush to apply color to my lower lash line and to fill in my brows (yup I use one of the matte brown eyeshadows for dual-purposes).

I feel that Maybelline's Expert Wear eyeshadows take more work to get the look you want because of inconsistencies across included shades, but generally they're still manageable and affordable. I used to wear Expert Wear quads when I was a broke, post-college, floater looking for a job! Things have changed since, and I prefer the silkier and more pigmented quality of Maybelline's Eye Studio eyeshadows despite being a few bucks more.

But I do actually recommend Maybelline's The Nudes Palette for those who stick with neutral looks, those who have a minimal makeup collection, those who are starting out wearing eyeshadows or makeup, and those who'd rather spend $10 than $50 for a decent, everyday palette. If my circumstances were all of the above, this might actually be the only eyeshadow palette I'd ever need. And one or two Color Tattoos in any of the following: Too Cool, Bold Gold, Tough as Taupe, or Barely Beige. Tried and tested!

It's great to see that drugstores are coming out with more palettes!
However, this quality really isn't good. The eyeshadows are not creamy, they're not blendable, they're not pigmented, the formula is terrible, and just overall not worth it.

The target market for this eyeshadow are young people and people who don't spend a lot of money on makeup and people who aren't really knowledgeable about makeup, I'm thinking a lot of the people reviewing this haven't experienced really good high quality eyeshadows and that's why they seem to like this palette. They just don't know any better. It gets compared to the naked palette (those eyeshadows are great and very versatile and definitely a lot better than this palette, but there are eyeshadows even better than the naked palette..at a better price, too)

honestly, the concept is great but the formula just isn't there. There are tons of better eyeshadows out there, even better urban decay naked dupes out there. Save up for a naked palette (if you're a trend follower), even the too faced 9-pan eyeshadow palettes are great, lorac, or get some makeup forever eyeshadows or even a lancome or estee lauder or dior palette.

PLEASE INVEST IN A BETTER EYESHADOW PALETTE
THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS THAT ARE BETTER QUALITY
you'll use less product, the eyeshadow sizes are bigger, colors are better and more pure, etc

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Okay let's get this straight kids- if you own a lot of makeup, this is not necessary.
If you don't own a lot of makeup, there is definitely room in your life for this.

I've owned this for about a month and a half, and overall I'm still convinced this is pretty mediocre. Keep in mind, I own quite a bit of makeup, especially eyeshadow, and I have high expectations.

As far as packaging, a mirror would've been awesome. I'm just saying. I kind of expected one.

Price is on point in my opinion, $12 for 12 eyeshadows is really reasonable, considering with higher end palettes you're paying $50 for 12 eyeshadows. HOWEVER you get what you pay for in higher end palettes. Yes, I said it.

The quality of these is hit and miss. I've heard some say that it's a "good thing" that some of these are sheer, because they are highlight colors. I do not agree. In my opinion, it's always better to have higher pigmentation shadows, fuller coverage foundation, and more opaque everything, because it can always be sheered out, and you in turn use less product.

For example, if you wanted to use UD's "sin" as an inner corner highlight, you simply dip your brush into it, tap off the excess, and place it where it needs to go, and you have a beautiful, easy highlight. However, with this, you place your brush into it, DON'T tap off the excess, place it on the inner corner, and keep going back into the pan for more to intensify it until it's to your liking. You use way more product than you need to, and it takes way more time.

As far as the functionality of this, it's really great. They tell you 3 different ways to put the shadows together (quads, trios, and duos). Of course you can be a rebel like me, and just do whatever your heart desires instead of following directions. The quads and duos method works out great, but the trios doesn't really. The way they go together just doesn't work out in the end, and the look is not the best. Quads is the way to go in my opinion. (My personal favorite is the 2nd quad)

When I picked this up, I used it for about 3 weeks, and I intentionally used it everyday, so I could review it. Now that I've gotten my review material, I hardly ever grab it any more. There's just nothing special about it to me, and I love a lot of other things more.

This is why I have come to the conclusion that if you already own a lot of makeup, you probably won't find yourself gravitating to this. If you don't own a ton of makeup, and you need to get out of a makeup rut, this might be just the thing you're after.

I happened across this while shopping at Harmon's inside BBB this weekend. This is a new 12-pan nude palette by Maybelline and I believe it's part of their new fall offerings but some stores seem to be getting in stock to test the waters. I was able to snatch up the last one, so far it looks like the test market is hot.

I played around with this over the weekend and created a number of looks and like most Maybelline eyeshadows, there are some that are better quality than others.

The palette is a nice sized 12-pan palette and the pans are much larger than the 8-pan palettes that fit in the palm of my hand. The price on this one was $10.79 or somewhere in that range, definitely less than $12 bucks. The pans are fairly large so you are looking at less than a buck per pan. The palette consists of 5 matte shades and 7 shimmers. The mattes were a bit too chalky for my taste and I found them hard to apply and blend, they blended down very muddy and splotchy. The shimmers on the other hand were smooth to apply and blend and created some very nice looks.

I am going to continue to play with this palette and think using a domed eyeshadow brush may prove better for applying and blending the mattes rather than packing the color on with a flat brush and blending down with one of my tapered blending brushes. I definitely think the 7 shimmer colors in this palette are worth it's price alone, even if the mattes continue to disappoint.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

MAYBELLINE, YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART WITH THE NUDES EYE SHADOW PALETTE.

I purchased this palette during the wee hours of Tuesday morning- 1am. because its all over You Tube and I wanted to see what all of the fuss was over this nude palette. As soon as I got home I washed my hands and busted open this palette and began swatching. I nearly let out a primal scream but quickly decided I better not awaken my neighbors lol. Swatch after swatch was dissapointing, none of the colors showed up on my NC 45-50 skin. Naturally I thought to myself, well I can use a e/s base to lift the color but you know what I said to myself " no I am not". I have a Elf neutral palette that have more neutral colors that show up on my skin. The 1 good thing I like about this paletter is the layout; its set up as duos, trios, and quads so yes its great for beginner makeup gurus in training. Other than that, it's just terrible. I returned it before I got into the office. Ladies if you are around my color, save your money and purchase something else.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I don't get the negative reviews on this at all. IMO, this is one of the best nude ES palettes, EVER, if you love a natural look.
What I like about it is that unlike Urban Decay, there is a great mixture of matte and shimmer. Some of the same colors are provided in The Nudes palette in both a matte and a shimmer version. The shimmer shadows are not at all glittery. They are more like BB Shimmer Wash shadows. I think that the quality is excellent for the price. Every color shows up perfectly on my BB 4, NC35 skin. It also has colors that add just enough color to sculpt the eye without really looking like "EYESHADOW." I believe that eye shadow should do just that-- look like a shadow to sculpt the eye shape. This palette fills the bill. Plus, it includes a pale iridescent shimmer pan that is perfect for highlighting the corners of your eyes. It is true that the colors are not super heavily pigmented, but I prefer buildable color. I don't have to use a primer and the color lasts all day. I love this so much that I bought two in case it's discontinued. This might not work for those who like to wear heavy shadow or for a heavy evening look. If you like a natural look for daytime (after all, it is called The Nudes) give it a try.

Edit: 01/03/16
Although I still love the colors, the matte shadows in the palette are really not the easiest to blend. Using primer before does make it easier. I am removing a star for this reason.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Maybelline eyeshadows are hit and miss. Some of them are chalky or too shimmery and glittery, while others are soft, well pigmented, and possess the right amount of shimmer. These nudes fall into the latter category.

I purchased this palette at Walmart for $10. There are 12 eye shadows that are ordered in color schemes to create quads, trios, or duos, depending on the look you're going for. On the back of the palette there are suggestions on how to use the colors, which is great for novices as well as pros. Sometimes, too many colors are overwhelming and it takes time to figure out combinations that look good. The highlighter shades are very sheer washes of color, while the midtone and deeper shades are more pigmented. There are both shimmery and matte shades and there is no fall out with these colors.

The palette consists of warm, cool, and neutral taupe, brown, gold, bronze, and beige tones. For the price and quality, this is a great palette.

I am very impressed with these shadows and I hope that Maybelline (or another drugstore cosmetic company) comes out with similar palettes.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I purchased this from Target a couple weeks ago. It contains 12 shades, several matte, and mostly shimmer shades. I believe it was around the 10$ price point. I immediately swatched the colors and omg, they are gorgeous!! This is not a match to a naked palette (UD), in quality, as these are not as velvety feeling, or as highly pigmented, but it is a darn good palette for 10$!! It comes in a nice sturdy case, and there is a double sided applicator provided (which i throw away). It has great base shades, and there are a couple that do pack a decent punch as far as payoff goes! no fallout which is different from my naked 2 palette. My look when using this palette did last all day but keeping in mind i use m UD primer. The colors were easy to work with and blend, and compliment each other well.
I am excited that a drugstore brand came out with an actual Palette, and not just like a quad.. its awesome, and I hope that more drugstore brands start following suit! All in all, this is a dream to have in my collection, and I will get LOTS of use out of it.*another thing to mention, it does provide different look ideas using coordinating shades on the back of the palette :)

Don't waste this money. These colors are chalky, un pigmemtedand and look non existent on the crease. I'm an NC 20 in MAC, if that helps.There are mostly matte shades and a few shimmery shades that don't even look shimmery because of their chalkyness. Listen maybelline, if wet n wild can be cruelty free and offer some pretty pigmented shadows for under $2.99 why can't you offer a palette with better quality shadows? This palette is straigh up awful. I had to stab my little mac 217 brush into the pan to pick up a little bit of product. The Maybelline bluahed palette is a pot better than the smokey or the nudes. In my opinion, the nudes is probably the worst. I just can't fathom how they managed to market and package this with barely any color pay off from any of the eyeshadows. The L'oreal La Palette is better, not the best palette either, but better than this. In short, the nudes' pigmentation was worse than the dollar shadow quads at Dollar Tree lol. Also, they didn't last that well if at all on my lids.

I flipping love Maybelline, but I will go straight ahead and say this is not a stand out product.

The consistency of the shadows is a let down. Mattes - Chalky, takes forever to blend, and blends out to nothing (lighter shades), or patchy (darker shades). The three darkest shimmery shades are buttery smooth and great pigmentation and for this reason, I gave the palette 2 lipsticks. One for 3 pigmented shadows, the other for the compact packaging. For the reasons above, I find myself sitting there and spending 20 mins trying to complete a semi decent eye look. Do I have time to keep building up patchy areas at 8am in the morning? No. Do I have the patience for it? No way.
The colours are similar once they're on the eyes. You're better off buying a trio/quad from Wet N Wild. I have tried a bunch of their trios and also their Comfort Zone Palette - amazing pigment that lasts all day. These Maybelline eyeshadows fade throughout the day and end up fading into each other, looking a lot like 1 eyeshadow colour.

TOP ROW:
1 - Duo chrome shimmery beige with blue flecks - So damn sheer, I use this as an eyelid base colour as it adds complexity, due to the duo chrome, once other shades are applied on top.
2 - Satin light brown. Very sheer but workable as an 'eyelid but better' shade.
3 - Matte cream (roughly NC20) - I use this to set my under eye concealer... That's how sheer it is. I can see it working as a blending shade.
4 - PIGMENTED buttery golden brown - SO BEAUTIFUL! Imagine a more golden, slightly darker, version of Urban Decay's Smog.
5 - Matte grey concrete - again very sheer.. takes a while to build up in the crease - even then it doesn't blend out well. Similar to Urban Decay's Tease but tad less purple.
6 - Matte cocoa brown - sheer and patchy if blended (I use this shade and the previous shade mixed together for my eyebrows. No warm tones, works wonderfully!)

BOTTOM ROW
1 - PIGMENTED shimmery taupe brown with a hint of rose gold undertones.
2 - Warm matte brown - a little more pigmented compared to rest of matte shades. Patchy once blended though.
3 - PIGMENTED shimmery yellow gold - looks even better when applied wet.
4 - PIGMENTED shimmery dark chocolate - beautiful shade! So smooth.
5 - Pink-based champagne - this is a beautiful shade and I reach for it to liven up my inner corners. It isn't pigmented but isn't sheer. The texture is buttery. Intensity definitely needs water or Fix+
6 - Matte black - I think this is meant to be Maybelline's idea of a black shade. Nice try... it's a chalky patchy grey at most. I mix it with water or my clear brow gel to create a super pigmented black eyeliner. Works surprisingly well when used that way.

The 4th shades on the top and bottom row are easily the most pigmented shades. You would think Urban Decay made them. The rest of the palette, pigmentation wise? Eh - more to be desired, but they're workable. I have used this for 2 weeks and can say that once the top layer is worked through, the shades are smoother. Wouldn't repurchase though.

I snapped this up for $12AUD, normally it's $24 something at Priceline. $24!!!!!! You're better off buying Chi Chi eyeshadows. Otherwise, save up more for a Naked Palette or Make Up Geek eyeshadows - AMAZING.

TIP: If you've already made the mistake of purchasing this palette and can't return it (DAMN AUSTRALIA!). Try using the eyeshadows under a primer/MAC Paint Pots/Maybelline Colour Tattoos - I get better looks this way. No way near as patchy. Otherwise using the eyeshadows wet is your best bet.

TL,DR: Very disappointed. Matte shades need improvement. 4/12 shades are pigmented on my NC20 skin. The rest don't blend out to be much on the eyelids.