SHISEIDO Ultimune

SHISEIDO Ultimune

4.3

Wat

on 11/23/2017 2:35:00 PM

I need to review this again, since the “bad” ingredients - the parabens at least- have been taken off! So this time I’ve got the 75ml bottle and I am still happy about the result. Still, I am not fully convinced it does miracles, it is a pre-serum so better you use it before your regular serum / moisturiser.

I would buy it again if Shiseido would take some bad ingredients off! This is the result of 20 years of research and what do we find? Methylparaben inside and not only that. As someone here also underlined, this is quite disappointing. The price also is sky high. I got a 15 ml bottle at 39.00 euros and it lasted about 2 months. I used for the morning and night skincare, after the toner and before the moisturiser. I have to confess I liked it, I liked the scent, I liked the texture, the feeling on my skin. My skin was most probably brighter and I now can say I can see the difference since when I stopped using it. Nevertheless I think it is not worth the price and as said I find unacceptable such a massive use of parabens.

on 10/27/2016 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This serum really works - but it isn't great for underneath makeup.

Pros: Very lightweight and doesn't clog pores (I'm oily-combination). It doesn't overpower skin and did not cause any breakouts (I'm super acne prone). I've been using it at night and on my 'no makeup' days and my skin seems brighter, smoother and softer to touch. I also feel that it helped heal a few pimples. It just makes my skin feel well looked after and thankful for it. The packaging is great too - love the pump.

Cons: it's pricey. It alsoleaves a slight residue which is a bit sticky and doesn't disappear no matter how long you wait. My moisturiser went on really smoothly, but my makeup just balled up, which never happened to me before. Not a cute look. For this reason I've been using this only at night & on my no makeup days.

on 11/18/2015 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

It's all Birchbox's fault. I would never have even heard of this stuff had I not received it in my Birchbox, and that would have saved me a lot of money. I HATE that I love this product. It makes no sense to me. I am always careful to use products that contain ingredients I've researched that supposedly function to help my particular needs, (i.e. I look for arbutin to help with dark spots, BHAs for my pores, Witch Hazel for soothing without sliming, etc.). But this..."Power Infusing"?? Is this for when my ability to climb walls needs to be recharged? Ingredients-wise there's nothing in this...absolutely nothing...that would draw me to purchase it. I am no chemist, and I'm definitely not a cosmetics chemist, so I cannot figure out how the products ingredients synergize to do what they seem to do! It has Vitamin E...(big deal)...It's also got Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract. I looked this up. Its many names are "Beefsteak Plant", "Basilic Japonais", "Menthe Pourpre", "Huile de Shiso", "Perilla Fructesans"...there are many more.I think it might be possible that the alcohol in this...serum?...enhances penetration of ingredients...rosewater, gingko biloba, thyme, baking soda...(?). I don't know, but all together this is...magical.

The bottom line is this stuff makes my skin feel incredible. It seems to add energy, immediately upon application. It makes my skin soft, with an "outdoorsy glow", and (I have to say it), this smells beautiful. I would wear this as perfume if I could. I admit that the scent could be swaying me to adore this product more than it deserves. It's horribly expensive for what seems to be a super-elegant, luxurious toner. However, I guess I need a super-elegant, luxurious toner because after I finished my Birchbox sample bottle, I was compelled to drop $95 for my own lovely bottle. This just feels fabulous on my skin.

EDIT - I have now purchased my third bottle and I'm still loving it. My skin is clear and soft, and I haven't had a breakout in months.

on 8/11/2015 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I purchased Ultimune a year ago and remembered having a great experience with it. I went without it for about six months without noticing any difference to my skin but naturally -- after trying a few other serums -- I had hyped Ultimune up in my head so I purchased it again. It is definitely hydrating however it isn't a great product if you have acne (mild or severe) as it has only intensified my breakouts.

From what I understand -- Ultimune is supposed to be a preventative measure however in the year I have been using it and the time that I've taken a break from it -- there have been no significant changes (positive or negative) in my skin.